amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November warmup 11/5 - 11/10

SACRUS

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last November finished almost a degree above normal and November 2009 finished well above normal at +4. I wouldn't mind a repeat of any of those winters.

BTW, November 2007 finished 1.7 degrees below normal with a trace of snow...

Last November finished almost a degree above normal and November 2009 finished well above normal at +4. I wouldn't mind a repeat of any of those winters.

I made a post awhile back but can't find it right now. Basically it showed that virtually all of our snowy winters since 1960 had a mild November. I'm definitely not worried about warmth at this time of year, talk to me in a few weeks, and if we still have no blocking showing up, then it's time to get concerned.

November is not a good indicator of the coming winter over the last 15 or 20 years it has warmed faster than any other month.

November is not a good indicator of the coming winter over the last 15 or 20 years it has warmed faster than any other month.

Its more the pattern thats causing the warmth that you have to look at and not the warmth itself. There were huge differences between November 2001 and November 2003, both were quite warm, but one exhibited signs in the pattern that things were on the way to changing and the other did not. This year there are mixed signals to an extent, the models want to clearly turn the NAO negative, the AO not so much. The polar vortex is not present anywhere near Canada either as some Mets such as LC, DT, Steve D have been saying. So right now I don't know what to expect as its a pretty mixed bag of signals we're getting. In November 2009 and 2003 we had relatively strong indications things were quickly improving.

Loop this and check out the cold air transport itself from Russia straight into the Northwest US.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ENSHGTAVGNH_12z/ensloopmref.html

The pacific looks absolutely atrocious in the long range. I do like the fact the Atlantic shows a -NAO. Until we see a flip to a -EPO pattern and get some PNA ridging any cold shots will be transient. The good news is we still have lots of time, models certainly have been inconsistent...

DT (from a post yesterday) seems pretty bullish on a cold december

He was also bullish on a pattern change mid-month about a week ago. I don't remember what we were seeing on the models in November last year in terms of the SE ridge, but it certainly looks like it wants to hold mighty strong so I think there could be some cause for concern for snow lovers IMHO.

Everyone got spoiled by the October snow storm!

It is only November 9th...

This was last november ..

So far with yesterday's above average warmth this is currently the picture

Unless you are in Northern New England you are below normal for the month so far..

We have not even reached Met Winter yet which begins on December 1st....

Last year we had a stronger La Nina then what we will have this year...

Let winter get here before we start posting all these winter is over posts or I be concerned if i was a snowlover..

Most of us are already above normal in the snowfall category already!

Its more the pattern thats causing the warmth that you have to look at and not the warmth itself.  There were huge differences between November 2001 and November 2003, both were quite warm, but one exhibited signs in the pattern that things were on the way to changing and the other did not.  This year there are mixed signals to an extent, the models want to clearly turn the NAO negative, the AO not so much.  The polar vortex is not present anywhere near Canada either as some Mets such as LC, DT, Steve D have been saying.  So right now I don't know what to expect as its a pretty mixed bag of signals we're getting.  In November 2009 and 2003 we had relatively strong indications things were quickly improving.

True,but patterns can and do change rapidly.Look at what happened this past winter here after the late JAN snowdump,the pattern changed rapidly and winter was pretty much done with at that point with the snow.(the cold did last a couple of more weeks)

THe AO/NAO have been positive since mid August and look to continue somewhat longer,but eventually both will go negative and rather sharply when they do and stay there for an extended period.

You have to remember as well we are in new territory with this NINA event compared to the past 40+ years.NYC reached 100+ on multiple days for the second consecutive year for the first time since the mid 1930s.That does not correlate with a disasterous warm/dry winter around here.

I am not saying it is Impossible to have a warm winter,but IMHO given what we have been through,is highly unlikely.

True,but patterns can and do change rapidly.Look at what happened this past winter here after the late JAN snowdump,the pattern changed rapidly and winter was pretty much done with at that point with the snow.(the cold did last a couple of more weeks)

THe AO/NAO have been positive since mid August and look to continue somewhat longer,but eventually both will go negative and rather sharply when they do and stay there for an extended period.

You have to remember as well we are in new territory with this NINA event compared to the past 40+ years.NYC reached 100+ on multiple days for the second consecutive year for the first time since the mid 1930s.That does not correlate with a disasterous warm/dry winter around here.

I am not saying it is Impossible to have a warm winter,but IMHO given what we have been through,is highly unlikely.

I agree with you about the coming winter. Even though the nao and ao have been positive for almost 3 months our temperatures have been close to normal, so when the they both go negative then we're in for some cold times.

The pacific looks absolutely atrocious in the long range. I do like the fact the Atlantic shows a -NAO. Until we see a flip to a -EPO pattern and get some PNA ridging any cold shots will be transient. The good news is we still have lots of time, models certainly have been inconsistent...

Thats true, if someone showed me the last few runs of the GFS at 200-300mb over the Pacific and asked me what I thought the QBO index was I'd guess about -20 or -25, it sure does not look like the sort of Pac Jet one would expect given the current QBO.

Thats true, if someone showed me the last few runs of the GFS at 200-300mb over the Pacific and asked me what I thought the QBO index was I'd guess about -20 or -25, it sure does not look like the sort of Pac Jet one would expect given the current QBO.

Very true, I think we are headed in the right direction...it's all about babysteps. Canada gets brutally cold next week so we can build on the snowpack. Once the -PNA relaxes we should be able to drive some very cold air into the east. We should have some impressive episodes of blocking once again in the altlantic given the -QBO, quiet sun, and weak Nina. With all that said we still need the pacific to cooperate, that IMO will be the wildcard this winter...

The Euro ensembles certainly show massive changes in the long range. We establish cross polar flow as an -EPO pattern develops. Also looks like a west based -NAO is trying to form. The Pv splits into 3 pieces with one sitting right over central Canada. This ensures that our northern neighbors will turn frigid and build up a snowpack. If the models are right these are important changes. Babysteps people.....

heights seem to be forecasted to rise in the polar regions, sending the chill south. to my weenie amateur forecasting eye, things are looking good for early dec?

test8.gif

Note the difference b/t the Euro and GFS positioning of the NAO block, and its upstream effects on the SE ridge in the Eastern US. We do NOT want what the GFS shows -- an east based blocking feature which will not be enough to offset the poor pacific signal (-PNA). However with the Euro, we've got a west based -NAO block, and this can sustain cold air in the Northeast regardless of the PNA. The first H5 map is what we want going forward into december. It's also what I think will occur BTW; there's strong analog support for the cold making it into the Northeast and even parts of the upper Southeast probably.

Note the difference b/t the Euro and GFS positioning of the NAO block, and its upstream effects on the SE ridge in the Eastern US. We do NOT want what the GFS shows -- an east based blocking feature which will not be enough to offset the poor pacific signal (-PNA). However with the Euro, we've got a west based -NAO block, and this can sustain cold air in the Northeast regardless of the PNA. The first H5 map is what we want going forward into december. It's also what I think will occur BTW; there's strong analog support for the cold making it into the Northeast and even parts of the upper Southeast probably.

I am not worried about an east based NAO this winter. I don't see anything but west based blocking in our future.

^Very hazy here and you can see the CU just off to my west. Cool development.

The haze was the worst I've ever seen it in Newark last night. The smog from all the industry in the area was so thick that it actually left a nasty film on my car as I was driving on the turnpike. It actually burned my eyes and made me choke a little bit. Very strong inversion last night.

When I got home it was as clear as anything.

The haze was the worst I've ever seen it in Newark last night. The smog from all the industry in the area was so thick that it actually left a nasty film on my car as I was driving on the turnpike. It actually burned my eyes and made me choke a little bit. Very strong inversion last night.

When I got home it was as clear as anything.

On foggy nights that co-generation plant makes you sick when traveling on the Turnpike.

BTW, Freakin' 67 degrees at Central Park! A lot of mets busted low on the forecast today.

Archived