• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Obs/Banter thread

Mr Torchey

Missed you on Tues. It blew 30mph and was one of the more challenging days on the linx, extremely difficult to get the right distance. Course was mint and greens rolled an easy 12 or more. One of the more difficult days to play but fun nonetheless.

next year....

we have 2 maybe three weeks of stellar weather coming up........plenty of time to play!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm always up for a road trip to Fairfield county. I think we've lost Pete to the snow until May.

lol, well even gods country will melt off in the upcoming pattern, but we can meet half way maybe in the valley, let me call my buddy at the end of the week, lets see what reopens, courses down here will open again this weekend, especially by the coast, and I play in long island all winter some years except for the last two years. Weather looks good and the greens will be slick.

happy halloweenie

:scooter::snowman:

yikes ginxy 324 hr maps now?? lol hey you never know right? well kids cleaned up tonight, off to the neighbors for a bonfire and scotch, kids dump there candy, and we gather up a huge hefty bag of candy for the less fortunate kids...........happy halloween, on to Festivus!

yikes ginxy 324 hr maps now?? lol hey you never know right? well kids cleaned up tonight, off to the neighbors for a bonfire and scotch, kids dump there candy, and we gather up a huge hefty bag of candy for the less fortunate kids...........happy halloween, on to Festivus!

You missed the scooter part?

So you want to move to a place that gets big snows in MA?

GC FTW. (Cape Ann also but those are far less frequent I would think).

http://www.ncdc.noaa...tremes&state=19

I'm 11 minutes from the center of Peru. I do a lot of my backcountry skiing there. It's the middle of god forsaken nowhere and I love it.

If only I lived in Peru.. and not the one down south..

This whoel area is great.

I'm already checking the whole area out. Time to devote the rest of my life to snow....lol...

If you ever want a guided tour to give you a lay of the land let me know. I'll build you a house Jerry.

happy halloweenie, man its fun scaring these kids!:devilsmiley: :devilsmiley: :devilsmiley:

Halloween is cancelled here due to HEAVY SNOW!!

we have 2 maybe three weeks of stellar weather coming up........plenty of time to play!

I'm always up for a road trip to Fairfield county. I think we've lost Pete to the snow until May.

Nah, I'd love to get out again though extreme skiing is easier than extreme golf.

lol, well even gods country will melt off in the upcoming pattern, but we can meet half way maybe in the valley, let me call my buddy at the end of the week, lets see what reopens, courses down here will open again this weekend, especially by the coast, and I play in long island all winter some years except for the last two years. Weather looks good and the greens will be slick.

happy halloweenie

Still think it was a bad idea for Worthington to close for the season this weekend?lol

I know where all of those houses are. A few I pass every day.lol

I'm 11 minutes from the center of Peru. I do a lot of my backcountry skiing there. It's the middle of god forsaken nowhere and I love it.

This whoel area is great.

If you ever want a guided tour to give you a lay of the land let me know. I'll build you a house Jerry.

Halloween is cancelled here due to HEAVY SNOW!!

Nah, I'd love to get out again though extreme skiing is easier than extreme golf.

Still think it was a bad idea for Worthington to close for the season this weekend?lol

I know where all of those houses are. A few I pass every day.lol

You will build my next house. If I play my cards right, I'll walk out of here with enough cash to build a great place.

Back to Peru for a moment. I sat next to someone from Peru last January on a reluctant flight to FL for business during a snow to taint event right after MLK Day. Interesting lady....maybe 5-7 years younger than I...grew up in the Boston area and perfectly content in Peru. Kind of an alternative type, she was heading to FL to visit an elderly parent. Ever since then I've kind of had the itch...

Back to Peru for a moment. I sat next to someone from Peru last January on a reluctant flight to FL for business during a snow to taint event right after MLK Day. Interesting lady....maybe 5-7 years younger than I...grew up in the Boston area and perfectly content in Peru. Kind of an alternative type, she was heading to FL to visit an elderly parent. Ever since then I've kind of had the itch...

It would be worth your while to explore the Hilltowns. They each have different character and amenities. Some--like Peru, Hawley, etc.--really have very little happening. Meanwhile, places like Huntington, Buckland/Shelburne (parts of each these towns make up the village of Shelburne Falls), Charlemont, Conway, e.g., have a mix of the 'out there' world but also some creature comforts. For example, in Shelburne Falls, there's a coffee shop, a couple of restaurants, they have movies in the Town Hall every couple of weekends. It's really life on the edge. :)

Carnage was not too bad last night, just a couple beer bottles left by parents and some tp in the trees which is great, the only carnage really, is the 1.5 inches of slush that melted by Sunday afternoon. Weather is looking top notch next week, wow! I took pics from all across lower fairifield cty, from the stamford Pound Ridge line to Darien, Norwalk etc etc.........soon as I get them downloaded I will post them. Most snow was 6.5 right across from Rock Rimmon CC, I think Alpha 5 had a report of 12 inches of snow in North Stamford, perhaps on a 1000 ft tower?

Carnage was not too bad last night, just a couple beer bottles left by parents and some tp in the trees which is great, the only carnage really, is the 1.5 inches of slush that melted by Sunday afternoon. Weather is looking top notch next week, wow! I took pics from all across lower fairifield cty, from the stamford Pound Ridge line to Darien, Norwalk etc etc.........soon as I get them downloaded I will post them. Most snow was 6.5 right across from Rock Rimmon CC, I think Alpha 5 had a report of 12 inches of snow in North Stamford, perhaps on a 1000 ft tower?

I told you it all melted.

The morning after the storm there was 5-6 left on the ground.

Its almost all gone today.

At the peak of the storm I had 8-9 on the ground.

Thats what happens when you have temps above freezing the entire storm

I told you it all melted.

The morning after the storm there was 5-6 left on the ground.

Its almost all gone today.

At the peak of the storm I had 8-9 on the ground.

Thats what happens when you have temps above freezing the entire storm

Here is my storm log:

Snow started around 9 am

3 pm measurement: 5", heaviest snow fell during this time, temp was around 32.1-32.3

9 pm measurement: 4", snow as not as heavy, temp rose to 33.1, average of 6-7" on the ground

12 pm measurement (end of storm, nothing fell after this): 3", deform band overhead, temps remained around 33, but snow was heavy, around 8-9 on the ground

By the morning, temps only got below freezing for an hour or so, they actually rose a bit after the storm ended, so snowpack was already down to 5-6

Here is my storm log:

Snow started around 9 am

3 pm measurement: 5", heaviest snow fell during this time, temp was around 32.1-32.3

9 pm measurement: 4", snow as not as heavy, temp rose to 33.1, average of 6-7" on the ground

12 pm measurement (end of storm, nothing fell after this): 3", deform band overhead, temps remained around 33, but snow was heavy, around 8-9 on the ground

By the morning, temps only got below freezing for an hour or so, they actually rose a bit after the storm ended, so snowpack was already down to 5-6

These obs don't surprise me. In the town of Guilford there was virtually nothing at the shore and at the Durham border (about 14 miles inland) about 10". Probably the most impressive gradient I've ever seen on the CT shore with the possible exception of 4/1/97

LOL at the GC being "out there"....you want some mountains, snowfall, and wilderness feeling I've got some towns up here for you.

Although to be fair I bet I can be in Boston from here quicker than MPM. Maybe that area really is the boonies ;)

It's just interesting to think of anywhere in Mass as wilderness.

Some of the trees seem to be holding all of their leaves at this point while others are bare. The whole foliage thing just seems very out of whack due to Irene, and possibly this past weekends storm. Does the past 10 or so weeks of wet, and wild weather really have an impact on the leaves dropping later this year for certain trees? Will there be some trees that don't lose their leaves until very late?

Some of the trees seem to be holding all of their leaves at this point while others are bare. The whole foliage thing just seems very out of whack due to Irene, and possibly this past weekends storm. Does the past 10 or so weeks of wet, and wild weather really have an impact on the leaves dropping later this year for certain trees? Will there be some trees that don't lose their leaves until very late?

its' the same way here. there are stretches of woods where it looks like the dead of winter and yet lots of other places where it could be Labor Day weekend. it's funky. definitely a combo of Irene and a very mild October.

LOL at the GC being "out there"....you want some mountains, snowfall, and wilderness feeling I've got some towns up here for you.

Although to be fair I bet I can be in Boston from here quicker than MPM. Maybe that area really is the boonies ;)

serious post?

Anything past 495 is wilderness.

Archived