joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Obs/Banter thread

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going to get ugly in CT as the days drage on and CL& P is slow to get things back online.

some snow here left in patches, would think it's all gone by sunset today.

Get the feeling with a lot more of the city rich folks out than us country bumpkins to the East were in Irene the heat will really ramp up.

754,261 48 hours later

I honestly could see 6-hour measurements resulting in substantially higher totals then if you were to stick a ruler in the ground after the snow stopped.

At 34F for the entire storm you're dealing with a ton of compaction and even some melting from the bottom given the warm ground. In fact when I looked at the snow that fell on the grass the bottom 1" was basically water from melted snow. If you had a snow board with no melting from below and removed some of the compaction by clearing 2 or 3 times during the storm I could see how you could tack on 5" or so?

My buddy was out in Sherborn. He said it's twice as bad as Irene..if not worse.

State DOT and CL&P are estimating 5x the tree damage. Also the towns that are hit the hardest are hit substantially harder than the hardest hit Irene towns. Only difference is no flooding with this one.

I honestly could see 6-hour measurements resulting in substantially higher totals then if you were to stick a ruler in the ground after the snow stopped.

At 34F for the entire storm you're dealing with a ton of compaction and even some melting from the bottom given the warm ground. In fact when I looked at the snow that fell on the grass the bottom 1" was basically water from melted snow. If you had a snow board with no melting from below and removed some of the compaction by clearing 2 or 3 times during the storm I could see how you could tack on 5" or so?

Happened with me. By the end of the storm, I had measured 12" with the snowboard/clear every 6 hours method.

But there was only 7-8 on the ground. Temps were at 33 during the entire storm, so thats not surprising

Happened with me. By the end of the storm, I had measured 12" with the snowboard/clear every 6 hours method.

But there was only 7-8 on the ground. Temps were at 33 during the entire storm, so thats not surprising

Yeah exactly. So I'm wondering if the 6hr snowboard/clear could give you 20" while your max depth was 14" or so.

But then wouldn't we have more 20" totals?? I know a lot of people do measure every 6 hrs.

Yeah agreed that's why I'm doubtful. Although if you look at the PNS for snow totals there's virtually nothing near BDL or any of the N&W HFD suburbs. No one has any power I guess or cell service for that matter up there lol.

Yeah agreed that's why I'm doubtful. Although if you look at the PNS for snow totals there's virtually nothing near BDL or any of the N&W HFD suburbs. No one has any power I guess or cell service for that matter up there lol.

Well I just remember the BS reports last winter, so it makes me question it.

Well I just remember the BS reports last winter, so it makes me question it.

Oh yeah me too. They did correct last year's reports so at least they're working on that stuff.

We're working with the NWS on it now and trying to get more information. I can't wait to hear from our Collinsville poster... he's a solid measurer.

Oh yeah me too. They did correct last year's reports so at least they're working on that stuff.

We're working with the NWS on it now and trying to get more information. I can't wait to hear from our Collinsville poster... he's a solid measurer.

Yeah that's good. I hate when snowfall data is off, because surprisingly enough...it means a lot more than just climo stuff. People, both contractors and municipalities will base things on snowfall from nearby areas. I get asked by my friend all the time about stuff like that since he is in that business. When you get paid by the inch..it mean a lot. That's not to say that every observer needs to think about that as they measure, but just saying there are things going on behind the scenes where that data is being used.

The tragedy of this event is that Kevin loses power for weeks (perhaps) and the snow has no staying power so he's bare ground probably long before the lights are back on.

Hopefully we can get one that nails the eastern areas this winter. At least the final week or two in Novie looks like it could....could be trying to set us up for December, but this is obviously far out there.

Hopefully we can get one that nails the eastern areas this winter. At least the final week or two in Novie looks like it could....could be trying to set us up for December, but this is obviously far out there.

If you hadn't included that last statement, you would have been subjected to lots of weenies. :)

Is the Concord area doing okay? I dno't see them hurt on the national grid map, but I'm not sure if that's what covers them.

If you hadn't included that last statement, you would have been subjected to lots of weenies. :)

Is the Concord area doing okay? I dno't see them hurt on the national grid map, but I'm not sure if that's what covers them.

Concord MA? I know just nw of them got hit hard. There are some pockets of ern mass..like down to the sw of BOS near Foxboro and Sherborn that had 6-7" of pure paste which brought down many trees.

Archived