• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

That is kind of funny. I never thought of that. But then again with the way this year has been with last winter, spring, summer, and fall with all the wild and weird events in the region this is the icing on the cake in a way. But good point.

Winter hasn't even begun yet and we still have another 2 months for mother nature to impress again.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the SREF demonstrates the problem we have here nailing down this forecast really well for people in the DC Metro. Shown here is a Non-Skewed (IE. Isotemp is vertical not skewed right like normal) temperature profile with the attached Ensembles. Also showed on here is the WBZ or Wet-Bulb Zero.. since the air is already saturated we can assume that this will be the level in which snowflakes will start to rime or melt. This combined shows us at which point above ground the melting will begin. The scale on the left side is X* 1000 ft. AGL .

The problem is... instead of a either all higher above ground melting elevation or a all below freezing profile, the temperature profile during the day Saturday leads to a scenario in which any number of elevations from 4,000 to 500 ft. AGL could be the melting layer. Thus look at the graph on the left side of the picture, using the thicknesses method we can see that there is a whole range of possible hydrometers that could be present at this time (each dot is a individual ensemble). Not a good time to be a betting man in DC.. I'll post one for the end of the storm to show the change in a bit...

post-741-0-37467500-1319767299.png

I was thinking about the Palm Sunday storm in late March....I think 1942....just because it was so late and it dumped a lot of snow....

Good call. Yeah at the end of March. I am surprised it isnt in Kocin's book

but found this on the storm

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/winter/DC-Winters.htm

March 29-30, 1942: The Palm Sunday Snowstorm was another seasonal late comer. Baltimore received its greatest snow in 20 years with 22 inches measured. Washington recorded 12 inches. Hagerstown recorded 22 inches in 24 hours.

Good call. Yeah at the end of March. I am surprised it isnt in Kocin's book

but found this on the storm

http://www.erh.noaa..../DC-Winters.htm

March 29-30, 1942: The Palm Sunday Snowstorm was another seasonal late comer. Baltimore received its greatest snow in 20 years with 22 inches measured. Washington recorded 12 inches. Hagerstown recorded 22 inches in 24 hours.

It definitely is in Kocin's book--- see Volume I.

This is one of DC's most famous snowstorms, with more than a foot in higher elevations in the city proper and 25-30+" amounts from northern MD into State College, PA... inverted trough, with PHL and NYC getting almost all rain.

Archived