EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About half of the Raleigh's ensemble members at hr 48 on the 18z GFS seem to have the 0c 850 line a bit further east than the OP

http://raleighwx.ame...rs/18zf048.html

Closer look -- http://raleighwx.ame...zthickf048.html

All of the ensembles look warmer in NErn areas of the LWX CWA, most cooler to the SW. Not sure what that means as far as the final solution is concerned.

It's hard to pick apart any of the models when they are all in such agreement. 85% rain 15% flakes. Best case will be a slight frosting on the trash can lid

The temp profile is tricky. It favors elevation but a few degrees could be a world of difference in heavier precip (which could help cool the surface).

I don't think we can be too deterministic below 600'......even tomorrow....the sun angle is more favorable now, but in terms of anomalous it is analogous to a storm in early to mid April....I hope people aren't upset if it is a complete bust below a certain elevation level......We have to see what the guidance does tomorrow.....but if it holds, I still would consider traveling to see accumulating snow if that is what you are after....lower elevations will need incredible dynamics.....I think someone may have posted the maps, but this isnt a standard deviation air mass like we saw in 10/79.....This isn't an event to get IMBY about.....

Do we? Randy made this new thread... I made a weenie one.. I guess if need be. Make it so #1 ;)

We've already gone most of the way without.. Might as well finish that way

Not in the future tho

Well I am open to learning...

I just think you have to be more agile considering the circumstances....I think tomorrow we might be able to hone in better on where the boundary layers will be cold enough, but even then it is a bit of a guessing game and I think you need to lean on climo a bit more than normal....

I just think you have to be more agile considering the circumstances....I think tomorrow we might be able to hone in better on where the boundary layers will be cold enough, but even then it is a bit of a guessing game and I think you need to lean on climo a bit more than normal....

True... I don't know climo well around here so I do need to lean a bit more on that

True... I don't know climo well around here so I do need to lean a bit more on that

yes you do..think about all the elevation, marginal events we have had here even in early December or March.....Think about Jim Cantore at IAD on DEC 5, 2003 while we were getting rained on.....or March 14 1999......or March 1984.....even if you don't consider specific events, I think you can get a picture....

I dont think there is really a reason to make a forecast amount at <400'........It is really just guesswork.....

agreed tho 400' might even be a bit low (i honestly have no clue how much of the area lies below that).

About half of the Raleigh's ensemble members at hr 48 on the 18z GFS seem to have the 0c 850 line a bit further east than the OP

http://raleighwx.ame...rs/18zf048.html

Closer look -- http://raleighwx.ame...zthickf048.html

I know that says 850mb T, but I think it's thickness, not temperature. I see 1320, 1310, and 1300 as some of the lines on there. The 850mb temp is on the other image you posted at the same time, and that seems to show the 850 0C line west of the Op for the most part.

It's fun to throw out numbers early but in reality even for the higher terrain it's tough in this case. I still like the nebulous working we have in the CWG piece though I'd be surprised if places above 1000 ft didn't see some accumulation. Nearer DC, wow, good luck with any forecasts. I don't think I'd trust the GEFS ensemble snow forecasts at all as the temperature is unlikely to get near freezing, especially at DCA near a still 60 degree Potomac.

That said, earlier I saved this NAm sounding to post to show an unstable layer just northwest of Baltimore. Note the absolutely unstable layer at around 700 mb. For those who are familiar with sounding. Note the dashed curving lines (the moist adiabats and how the temp line tilts more the the left than they do. That's instability and would support convective snows. That may be part of the reason the NAM is so wet. The GFS does not have a similar layer but does have a layer with the temp line parallel to the moist adiabats so even it is close to having an unstable layer.

post-70-0-27422800-1319761824.png

That said, earlier I saved this NAm sounding to post to show an unstable layer just northwest of Baltimore. Note the absolutely unstable layer at around 700 mb. For those who are familiar with sounding. Note the dashed curving lines (the moist adiabats and how the temp line tilts more the the left than they do. That's instability and would support convective snows. That may be part of the reason the NAM is so wet. The GFS does not have a similar layer but does have a layer with the temp line parallel to the moist adiabats so even it is close to having an unstable layer.

I don't buy the NAM necessarily but I feel like it picks up on this stuff better than the globals. Am I just imagining that? It seems intuitive that it would given that it has better resolution.

agreed tho 400' might even be a bit low (i honestly have no clue how much of the area lies below that).

it is I think...not sure where the threshold is...I mentioned 800-1000' earlier...Wes and Jason have both used the 1000' demarcation.....We might be able to get more specific tomorrow but I don't think we can be precise....based on recall some of the places in upper MOCO at 600' I believe have done pretty well in events when others have gotten shut out....but I don't really know where the cutoff will be from some accumulation to perhaps just some flakes or mangled mix

i dont think that matters.. different type of setup anyway -- weak overrunning mainly

I think its a good sign simply because that storm up there lacks any really intense dynamics like a deformation. (There has been some thunder snows however) This storm looks to feature a CCB on Saturday. I think the point is the ease of accumulation is surprising and I doubted it would show much more than 1-3" in elevations tonight.

I don't buy the NAM necessarily but I feel like it picks up on this stuff better than the globals. Am I just imagining that? It seems intuitive that it would given that it has better resolution.

It does providing it has the other fields right. That's why I'd watch it for the next couple of runs. If it still has the unstable layer and the colder temps on tomorrow afternoon run, then I'd be worried that we are underplaying the event. Until then, I'd still wait before goign overboard. Still the unstable layer makes this a tricky event because any convection would guarantee some accumulation.

it is I think...not sure where the threshold is...I mentioned 800-1000' earlier...Wes and Jason have both used the 1000' demarcation.....We might be able to get more specific tomorrow but I don't think we can be precise....based on recall some of the places in upper MOCO at 600' I believe have done pretty well in events when others have gotten shut out....but I don't really know where the cutoff will be from some accumulation to perhaps just some flakes or mangled mix

Matt, do you see this being similar to the 12/5/09 event where the snow was 6 inches at Bluemount at 900' down to a trace just outside the beltway say Annadale, va??

Archived