mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Tracking the Late October Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd keep in mind the reliability (or lack thereof) the GFS getting this close to the event. I've generally found that under 48 it can be erratic. I'd start giving more weight to short range models.

Must say I can't disagree with this post... models tend to do some erratic things 48 hours before a storm and then trend right back where they were... will be interesting to watch

Usually you find a middle road, when a decent mesoscale model like the NAM is east and the more broad global is west, you gotta look for that average.

How do you know that the reason for the difference is due to synoptic/mesoscale features, rather than differences in large scale patterns over the NH? If it is the latter the GFS would handle that better, so I can't see why one necessarily applies over the other unless you can definitively determine the causation for the change.

And the RGEM & SREF are west, so that puts the NAM out as an outlier. Though LWX does like the eastward track it seems.

How do you know that the reason for the difference is due to synoptic/mesoscale features, rather than differences in large scale patterns over the NH? If it is the latter the GFS would handle that better, so I can't see why one necessarily applies over the other unless you can definitively determine the causation for the change.

And the RGEM & SREF are west, so that puts the NAM out as an outlier. Though LWX does like the eastward track it seems.

I'd agree the GFS is better with NH patterns and the broader scheme, but this has a huge involvement with some mesoscale features and some exact things involving the column, the 850 low/500 low tracks, where the freezing line is, a CCB etc.

I'd agree the GFS is better with NH patterns and the broader scheme, but this has a huge involvement with some mesoscale features and some exact things involving the column, the 850 low/500 low tracks, where the freezing line is, a CCB etc.

Ok, but you can't assume that is the reason for the rapid deepening on the GFS and that it is wrong since there are many aspects I don't think. And have you ever thought about giving the outlier less weight? The NAM has had a bias of letting energy escape on the front flank of EC storm troughs leading to an east track.

Ok, but you can't assume that is the reason for the rapid deepening on the GFS and that it is wrong since there are many aspects I don't think. And have you ever thought about giving the outlier less weight? The NAM has had a bias of letting energy escape on the front flank of EC storm troughs.

Oh I'm certainly not favoring the NAM right now none for the matter, I wanna see the Euro though as that'll give us all a beat on things and likely correctly analyze these pieces of energy.

Archived