Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Your Approach to Managing Leaf Drop--A Poll

moneypitmike

34 members have voted

1. 1. During the fall leaf drop season, I

• Continually have a leaf free lawn because I grab each leaf before it even hits the ground
    • I clear it more than twice
    • I clear it twice
    • I clear it once--only after the last leaf has dropped
    • Meh--the wind will blow them away eventually
  2. 2. When it comes to clearing leaves, I

• do it myself (and maybe draft my kids)
    • I pay someone to do it while I watch football

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just mow them. They turn to topsoil eventually.

I live in the country surrounded by trees and fields with almost no neighbors. Plus I mow 2+ acres with trees all over, no way do I have time to rake them all. Someday I may get a bagger for the mower and use that but it has worked fine this way.

That's what we did until last year--then we hired someone. Somethings are just easier that way.....

Gotta get them off the lawn ASAP. I hate leaves. I do it once and sometimes twice per week. They are awful for the grass esp. hen wet. very acidic and will destory the lawn if you just mulch them and leave them. I use the backpack blower to clear all the flowerbeds once a week and then borrow the neighbors 10HP blower on wheels. Then if there's any stragglers I'll mow them up.

Gotta get them off the lawn ASAP. I hate leaves. I do it once and sometimes twice per week. They are awful for the grass esp. hen wet. very acidic and will destory the lawn if you just mulch them and leave them. I use the backpack blower to clear all the flowerbeds once a week and then borrow the neighbors 10HP blower on wheels. Then if there's any stragglers I'll mow them up.

After seeing your pics last winter, this is how I envision your house in the fall.

street-leaf-pile.jpg

:o :o :o

I just mow them. They turn to topsoil eventually.

I live in the country surrounded by trees and fields with almost no neighbors. Plus I mow 2+ acres with trees all over, no way do I have time to rake them all. Someday I may get a bagger for the mower and use that but it has worked fine this way.

This. I either take the bag off and mulch them or bag them and put them in the compost pile. Raking sucks.

I rake up a few spots where the leaves fall heavy, a few times per fall just so I'm not doing all the leaves all at once. The rest of the yard, I just chop up with the mower/tractor. Contrary to some opinion, most hardwood leaves aren't terribly acidic--only mildly so and really are no big shakes for your soil pH. Chopping them up over your grass actually adds a fair bit of nutrients. I've done it this way for years and have never had any problems. Our soil here is naturally quite sweet/alkaline, so perhaps that helps buffer any acidity that the leave may add.

Maybe you can lend a hand?

That looks totally mowable/choppable to me. Vroom-vroom. :scooter:

Yeah, but then I'd need to do it every few days......the lawn area's about 2 acres with 15 large maples dropping directly on it plus whatever blows in from the adjoining woods. I don't have the time for that. meanwhile, continually dropping with heavy bursts with each breeze.

Yeah, but then I'd need to do it every few days......the lawn area's about 2 acres with 15 large maples dropping directly on it plus whatever blows in from the adjoining woods. I don't have the time for that. meanwhile, continually dropping with heavy bursts with each breeze.

I see. Sound like you need a leaf blower...or neighborhood kids. ;)

59 Arborvitaes,

The deer must love your yard. Munch!

avitaedeer.jpg

I see. Sound like you need a leaf blower...or neighborhood kids. ;)

The deer must love your yard. Munch!

avitaedeer.jpg

No, I am in the city, Those are some of the deer's favorite vegetation though as evident in that pic you have, Have to worry more with the daycare kids messing with them, Lol

Backpack blowers x2, usually draft a friend, we blow them

out of the beds and from the stonewalls into open lawn where we can then use the JD tractor with big blower to get them to the tree line. It usually takes 2 full days, too much yard ftl. Every few years we call the vac truck to come and clean up the piles along the tree line as they get too big and can not decompose fast enough.

One clean-up is fine. The acid that you speak of doesn't start destryoying the lawn as quickly as you think. Clearing the leaves 4-6 weeks after they start falling isn't the death blow to a good looking lawn.

No..one clean up is not fine. I don't want to look at a lawn filled with messy leaves. Once a week and twice if you have the time is the way to go

Archived