Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Your Approach to Managing Leaf Drop--A Poll

moneypitmike

34 members have voted

1. 1. During the fall leaf drop season, I

• Continually have a leaf free lawn because I grab each leaf before it even hits the ground
    • I clear it more than twice
    • I clear it twice
    • I clear it once--only after the last leaf has dropped
    • Meh--the wind will blow them away eventually
  2. 2. When it comes to clearing leaves, I

• do it myself (and maybe draft my kids)
    • I pay someone to do it while I watch football

No..one clean up is not fine. I don't want to look at a lawn filled with messy leaves. Once a week and twice if you have the time is the way to go

You're a hoot. It's a good thing the marathon is this weekend. Once your leavest start coming down you won't have any more time to run.

You'd have to be mowing your leaves at night.

56.1/46

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing some good maples here...you know you can tap them and make your own maple syrup, right? :lol:

We've got a ton of maples. We allow a local sugarer to tap them. We get a couple gallons of syrup each year. Of course, you only get through a quarter of that during the year so we stockpile it. Like wine.

55.2/46

We've got a ton of maples. We allow a local sugarer to tap them. We get a couple gallons of syrup each year. Of course, you only get through a quarter of that during the year so we stockpile it. Like wine.

I have several people that I do that with. Maples in yards like that have large crowns which produces more sap than the average maple in the woods. The only part I don't like is collecting if they want buckets. Sometimes I luck out and they like to do the collecting and I can pick up once or twice a week.

Do you use syrup on anything besides pancakes? We use about 2-3 gallons a year. As a sweetner, it's much better for you than can sugar and is 3x as sweet but has fewer calories.

I have several people that I do that with. Maples in yards like that have large crowns which produces more sap than the average maple in the woods. The only part I don't like is collecting if they want buckets. Sometimes I luck out and they like to do the collecting and I can pick up once or twice a week.

Do you use syrup on anything besides pancakes? We use about 2-3 gallons a year. As a sweetner, it's much better for you than can sugar and is 3x as sweet but has fewer calories.

Does ice cream count?

One clean up is fine. Let the kids help out...turn it into a game. I can't believe all the quality time that's wasted by you spending time doing marathons and cleaning up the yard. Poor kids.

I can't believe anyone other than Kevin clears his lawn more than twice (twice is bad enough). Apparently there are six lawn wack jobs out there! lol

One clean up is fine. Let the kids help out...turn it into a game. I can't believe all the quality time that's wasted by you spending time doing marathons and cleaning up the yard. Poor kids.

I pray for you lawn and family once you get a house in the country that has leaves and requires yardwork. I picture you letting all the leaves come down for 1-2 months and then doing one cleanup around T-giving. Instead of spending a few hours each weekend cleaning them up..you have to waste an entire weekend doing it...and it's an eyesore in the neighborhood

I pray for you lawn and family once you get a house in the country that has leaves and requires yardwork. I picture you letting all the leaves come down for 1-2 months and then doing one cleanup around T-giving. Instead of spending a few hours each weekend cleaning them up..you have to waste an entire weekend doing it...and it's an eyesore in the neighborhood

Nice try.

C'mon...every yard has leaves this time of year. When you have a yard licked clean amongst yards covered in leaves...you stick out like a sore thumb. So long as the yard is not 10" deep in leaves..I think one and done will do it...especially if you are still mowing the yard this time of year. Mowing sucks up the leaves.

Nice try.

C'mon...every yard has leaves this time of year. When you have a yard licked clean amongst yards covered in leaves...you stick out like a sore thumb. So long as the yard is not 10" deep in leaves..I think one and done will do it...especially if you are still mowing the yard this time of year. Mowing sucks up the leaves.

The one frustrating part of having leaves on the lawn is that it's really tough to play hide-and-seek with one's 6-year old daughter. The crunching of the leaves as you run really gives away your hiding spot--or at least gives the person who's "it" a great idea of your general area. You need to be really creative (and fast) to do a fake-out by looping around out of earshot. Very tough to do.

52.1/47

Nice try.

What about all the flowerbeds..?

And who would mow up all the leaves when they are so thick you have to empty the bags every half row or row? That is ridiculous.

You blow them all once a week..much easier to keep up with them than waiting. You'll learn..Right now you don't understand cuz you don't have to do it

What about all the flowerbeds..?

And who would mow up all the leaves when they are so thick you have to empty the bags every half row or row? That is ridiculous.

You blow them all once a week..much easier to keep up with them than waiting. You'll learn..Right now you don't understand cuz you don't have to do it

I don't know....I've helped my Dad do just that and it's been fine. The flower beds will crap out when they get buried in leaves anyways...mostly due to frost. If you mow your lawn every 2 weeks or so...it's usually good enough.

I don't know....I've helped my Dad do just that and it's been fine. The flower beds will crap out when they get buried in leaves anyways...mostly due to frost. If you mow your lawn every 2 weeks or so...it's usually good enough.

I'm talking about the appearance of the flowerbeds. I don't want all kinds of leaves crapping up the look of the mulch and shrubs and flowerbeds.

It's all about what is important to you. Appearance to me is key. All of my neighbors do their leaves once per week so it's very nice. No slobs or lazy folks around me. When you live in the woods..you do it once a week. It's not like we have 1 maple in the front lol

I'm talking about the appearance of the flowerbeds. I don't want all kinds of leaves crapping up the look of the mulch and shrubs and flowerbeds.

It's all about what is important to you. Appearance to me is key. All of my neighbors do their leaves once per week so it's very nice. No slobs or lazy folks around me. When you live in the woods..you do it once a week. It's not like we have 1 maple in the front lol

It's a good thing I don't live in your area. :)

It's a good thing I don't live in your area. :)

LOL...your yard looks like just about every other yard in the country. I think Kevin lives in a more suburban type neighborhood and it's all about appearances in those kind of places. If your neighbor does it, you're stuck doing it too. I have a small yard and blow the leaves away every couple of weeks because if I let them go longer, my small blower would not move them. Otherwise, I would probably wait until they were all down.

BTW, nice to hear some talk about family...

LOL...your yard looks like just about every other yard in the country. I think Kevin lives in a more suburban type neighborhood and it's all about appearances in those kind of places. If your neighbor does it, you're stuck doing it too. I have a small yard and blow the leaves away every couple of weeks because if I let them go longer, my small blower would not move them. Otherwise, I would probably wait until they were all down.

BTW, nice to hear some talk about family...

Thanks. I think there's something special for kids who get to play in the leaves.

Nice try.

"That's where that poor man with anal retentiveness lives. I don't know how his wife can stand it. Look, there he is catching falling leaves with the kids butterfly net!"

I have a pretty big yard, with plenty of hardwood trees. I bag the leaves when I mow, usually once a week, but less often if it rains on the weekends. Since the grass grows while the leaves are falling, I'm not sure how I could just do it once. None of my neighbors would ever complain about leaves not being picked up right away, it would just be a mess and take forever if I waited too long - so I sort of agree with Kevin. But, I'm not sure it looks bad to see a leaf covered lawn in New England, it's just a pain in the a$$ to clean up if you wait until all the leaves have come down.

My wife would like to wait until she can rake up a few big piles for the kids to play in, but she would just rake, and leave me the mess to pick up, so that doesn't happen.

I can only imagine the overgrown, weed infested unkempt shape your lawn is in most of the year. Those that don't care about what their lawn looks like generally are the same way in life

Somthing like this?

Pete's lawn===Pete's Hair

Kevin's lawn== Kevin's Hair, er head.

You should see my office!

51.8/51, .38"

I can only imagine the overgrown, weed infested unkempt shape your lawn is in most of the year. Those that don't care about what their lawn looks like generally are the same way in life

I imagine your car doesn't have any crap in it. No drink spills on the backseat. No empty soda bottles strewn about. Empty Dunkin' Donuts bags......

I live in an old rural neighborhood where people have better things to worry about than mowing lawns three times a week and doing the whole suburban showoff thing. It sounds like you are really living the dream in terms of suburban life.

Correct. It is immaculate inside and out.Washed once per week complete with shining the tires and rims

My cars getting washed right now because it's raining.

I don't think I've actually washed a car by hand in about 5 years. I might have used a carwash once since then, but I'm not sure.

We won't talk about the inside--that is admittedly a disaster. But, I try to clean it up once a month or so.....whether it needs it or not.

52.3/52

Archived