joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power went out around 1AM. Sucks not having internet yet, this was one for the ages. Would've been nice to share with the rest of y'all. Anyway, I'm sitting at work in Portland now. Not a lot of tree damage on the drive in, though there were more limbs down as I approached the city. I picked up 10.3" and seeing the totals of others here I am just in awe. Amazing! I did have some thundersnow around 2AM, incidentally. Good luck to all in the cleanup.

Only seeing what looks like 3-4" on the roofs visible in my cam. 13" for Laconia and 20" in Gilford-- the town line runs 1 mile behind my house. Warm lake temps likely ruined bigger numbers since I bottomed out at 32.7 around midnight and then slowly climbed to 34.

Power looks to have gone out at 6:15.

I hope my dad didn't think I was kidding when I told him to stay up all night to keep the snow off my magnolia and the greenhouse roof.

Somewhat aggravating to have this happen while I'm away, but the Fantasy Fest street fair and parade last night made up for it. :sun:

Only seeing what looks like 3-4" on the roofs visible in my cam. 13" for Laconia and 20" in Gilford-- the town line runs 1 mile behind my house. Warm lake temps likely ruined bigger numbers since I bottomed out at 32.7 around midnight and then slowly climbed to 34.

I hope my dad didn't think I was kidding when I told him to stay up all night to keep the snow off my magnolia and the greenhouse roof.

Somewhat aggravating to have this happen while I'm away, but the Fantasy Fest street fair and parade last night made up for it. :sun:

What's the lake temp normally this time of year? Mid 50s? That had to have played a factor in accumulations for the shoreline areas. I quickly wetbulbed down to 31F once it started and it remained there until the snow let up during the early morning hours. I'm going to be sad when it all melts. I'm in storm hangover mode...partly because of little sleep. :sleepy:

What's the lake temp normally this time of year? Mid 50s? That had to have played a factor in accumulations for the shoreline areas. I quickly wetbulbed down to 31F once it started and it remained there until the snow let up during the early morning hours. I'm going to be sad when it all melts. I'm in storm hangover mode...partly because of little sleep. :sleepy:

51-55 looks to be the historical range. Current water temp is 51.

If you make some CT Blizz style snowbanks, you should be able to keep some of it. :snowman:

What is fantasy fest?

We actually have ice on the pond....very early for that.

Yeah, our 4" is now down to 2-3" on the ground and completely burned right off the dark surfaces. With some cold nights and short days with low sun, I could see some of this sticking around for a while. Even some of the 1" we had last Thursday night was still hiding in the cool shady spots before the snow started last evening.

Been trying to reach my parents since 7am and finally succeeded. They're in the dark with no sign of a power crew in sight, so my dad was dragging out the propane heater and the generator.

I'm glad I'm not home because I would have been ripsh*t now... he says they only got 3-4 inches and quite a bit of that has already melted away. Didn't bother plowing.

On the winnipesaukee.com forum, some have said parts of Alton along the shore got no snow to stick at all while just inland there is a foot. Pretty wild... wish I could be there to observe. I'm not sure I've ever seen the lake have such an extreme effect on the weather.

Been trying to reach my parents since 7am and finally succeeded. They're in the dark with no sign of a power crew in sight, so my dad was dragging out the propane heater and the generator.

I'm glad I'm not home because I would have been ripsh*t now... he says they only got 3-4 inches and quite a bit of that has already melted away. Didn't bother plowing.

On the winnipesaukee.com forum, some have said parts of Alton along the shore got no snow to stick at all while just inland there is a foot. Pretty wild... wish I could be there to observe. I'm not sure I've ever seen the lake have such an extreme effect on the weather.

Wow that's amazing. 20" for Gilford and nada along the shore in Alton. I suppose a northerly wind off of 50-55F water will do that in a snow event. I wonder if there was any lake enhancement a bit south of the lake. I kept seeing "yellow" echoes linger over those areas like Gilmanton/Barnstead.

It's Key West's big wild 10 day halloween party. Depending on source, it's either 50,000 or 70,000 people crammed into an area of roughly 2x12 blocks. It's festive/claustrophobic/deafening.

I know it sounded familiar...but didnt' remember if it was Key West. My is lives in Marathon. Cool! Sorry you missed out on the storm.

Couple of musings.... traveled 8 miles north to Plymouth and wow what a difference in snowcover. Seems like 3-4" up there compared to my 10". I guess if I traveled 10 miles south I would see the same difference but the other way.

I was doing some indoor errands during the afternoon with a friend and we walked outside around 5:15pm to a setting sun and the snowcover. The air was cool but not winter cold and we both said to each other it seems like a late March afternoon with lenghtening sunlight and warming temperatures. On of those Deja Vu things!!

1.5" of snow last night on the northern border of the system...still nice to see. I headed down south to the Killington area and the hillsides looked amazing this morning at first light with some lingering snow showers. A general slow increase heading south on I-89 and then down in the RT 4 corridor it seemed to vary from as little as 4" to as much as 8" depending on elevation (RT 4 goes from like 500ft to over 2,000ft by Killington/Pico).

No chance to post yesterday. We had 4.5" of 5-to-1 cement, but places 200' higher had 7" so the GYX call for 6-10" was certainly defensible. Their upward revision to 12-16", however, was a bit puzzling, as it was posted (on the MEMA site, anyway) with a time tag of 6:26 AM, and accum here was done by then. Power went off in the wee hours, but surprisinly (considering the widespread outasges) came on about 5:30 AM. Very little tree damage - some bent birches, one pine branch, and some silver maples lost a few branches.

Still 2-3" OG, will probably lose all but the piles and shadowed places today. I'll be in Rangeley country on another check-cruise; looks like they had about the same as MBY. (Thanks for the map, Jeff.)

No chance to post yesterday. We had 4.5" of 5-to-1 cement, but places 200' higher had 7" so the GYX call for 6-10" was certainly defensible. Their upward revision to 12-16", however, was a bit puzzling, as it was posted (on the MEMA site, anyway) with a time tag of 6:26 AM, and accum here was done by then. Power went off in the wee hours, but surprisinly (considering the widespread outasges) came on about 5:30 AM. Very little tree damage - some bent birches, one pine branch, and some silver maples lost a few branches.

Still 2-3" OG, will probably lose all but the piles and shadowed places today. I'll be in Rangeley country on another check-cruise; looks like they had about the same as MBY. (Thanks for the map, Jeff.)

You can really see on there the areas where the banding set up...

0.9 inch measured at 9:00am.

I measured at 5:45am with a temp of 33F... and to be honest I don't have a board out there yet so it was off the back of my car.

I wonder if 1.5" can go to 0.9" in 3 hours with temps just above freezing? Either way, I bet this was definitely one of those storms where it mattered when you measured; 3 hours earlier I guarantee you had over 1"... at the very least.

Some of the scenes down by the Woodstock, VT area yesterday morning were spectacular...

Skiing was great at Pico

We received 3 inches in Peacham. Most of it is melted away but a nice start to the season. If nothing else it prompted me to bring the hammock in and get the driveway reflectors in the ground beforre things freeze up.

Is this a good point to start a new late fall thread???????????????????

Archived