• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Autumn in NNE

tamarack

Radar showed -SN overhead last evening, but nothing made it to the ground, frozen or otherwise. Quite the chilly day for yesterday's forest research field trip NE of Bingham - I doubt the temp topped 40, with a raw wind and no sun. Very interesting trip, however.

GYX appeared to put the foothills just at the edge of the good stuff for tomorrow night, as we're in the WS watch area and the next zones north are not. Time will tell. I won't be too disappointed if I get 2" while Jeff gets 6" and Eric 10" - after all, it IS still Oct. However, a whiff (while others plow) would not go down well. Timing is off by a day; would've been nice to hunt on snow tomorrow morning (Maine deer opener), though an oncoming major storm should have the critters on the move tomorrow aft.

I think Monday morning before light being in a stand will work fine..... :snowman:

• Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pics Allenson!!! I was figuring it was a pretty drive in after the sun came up :).

Thanks--and to borderwx as well.

It was a very pretty ride in this morning--although the sun was right in my eyes for about 90% of it. Not complaining though--haven't seen much sun lately so it's been nice to see today.

More snow coming?

Whoa, CAR just updated and extended the watches further north and added 9-14" as the expected totals in the watch text. I was happy with the 4-8 they had earlier. Sure wish I had the snow blower and the tractor ready for snow. I'll be gone all day Saturday so it should be fun getting things ready with snow on the ground Sunday morning.

I think Monday morning before light being in a stand will work fine..... :snowman:

Have to get there early, as a 20s morning will have any remaining snow crashing like cannon-shots as I walk.

NOAA prob. maps on the storm thread have MBY at 60% for 8", and 30% for 12". :thumbsup:

Biggest Oct snow I've seen was 6.3" in 2000; #2 is only 2.3", in Ft.Kent. Never even seen a 10"+ storm in November.

I just had to drive to Boston and back. Trees south of the Mass boarder are about 90% foliated. (Is that a word?). Drops off to 60-75% in Concord NH and about 50% in the Southern Lakes Region. I have about 30% leaf coverage up here. Really concerned for huge power outages rivaling the ice storms and worse than Irene. In watching tonights weathercasts most are in 4-8" to 5-9" on the high end. I am surprised that no one is talking anything over a foot, the QPF and temps at higher elevations would seem to me some places over 12". Guess they are nervous. I think we will see some place top out around 18".

24F this morning here. Coldest reading of the season so far. Plenty of cold air in place--is there something going on? ;)

Not sure if I'll plow or just let it sit and melt. I don't have the plow rigged up to the new truck yet but I still have the old beater. So I'll at least hitch it up to the old rig and have it ready in case I get a bee in my bonet tomorrow for the first plow of the season.

24F this morning here. Coldest reading of the season so far. Plenty of cold air in place--is there something going on? ;)

Not sure if I'll plow or just let it sit and melt. I don't have the plow rigged up to the new truck yet but I still have the old beater. So I'll at least hitch it up to the old rig and have it ready in case I get a bee in my bonet tomorrow for the first plow of the season.

1st sub 20F for the season - 18F at sunrise. dead calm with slate grey skies.

Allenson - a six pack and laps in the driveway to pack it down vs. plow?

ya'all have fun down there, looks like a good one for everyone to try and remember how to drive in the snow.

1st sub 20F for the season - 18F at sunrise. dead calm with slate grey skies.

Allenson - a six pack and laps in the driveway to pack it down vs. plow?

ya'all have fun down there, looks like a good one for everyone to try and remember how to drive in the snow.

About 18 IMBY, too. Lowest prior to this was 24. No deer that I saw this morning, but the red squirrels are fat and noisy, perhaps due to the heaviest fir cone crop I've ever seen here.

GYX has the foothills at 6-10", capitol and SW inland Maine 8-12". Most impressive (to me) was the midcoast - 6-10" but winds tomorrow early 35-45G70. They said the only reason for not posting a blizzard warning was that the wet snow probably wouldn't blow around enough to meet the visibility criteria. Just...wow!

Solid overcast now in Central New England. Clouds came in just in time to keep the boundary layer cold. Looks like most of VTNH and inland Maine will start right off as snow as we approach dusk. Perfect for not wasting QPF with rain to start. Boy, I am really concerned with tree damage and extensive, extensive power outages.

About 18 IMBY, too. Lowest prior to this was 24. No deer that I saw this morning, but the red squirrels are fat and noisy, perhaps due to the heaviest fir cone crop I've ever seen here.

GYX has the foothills at 6-10", capitol and SW inland Maine 8-12". Most impressive (to me) was the midcoast - 6-10" but winds tomorrow early 35-45G70. They said the only reason for not posting a blizzard warning was that the wet snow probably wouldn't blow around enough to meet the visibility criteria. Just...wow!

I think those squirrels know what the chef is cooking.

Definitely a snow sky now. Sitting here and noticing lots of oaks with their leaves. Should the 10" come to fruition, it will be as bad as the 2008 ice storm for this area. Even 5" will be problematic.

I think those squirrels know what the chef is cooking.

Definitely a snow sky now. Sitting here and noticing lots of oaks with their leaves. Should the 10" come to fruition, it will be as bad as the 2008 ice storm for this area. Even 5" will be problematic.

Besides the snow, That may be the bigger problem, The power outages

lol ... no doubt. My only complaint is that they didn't highlight the part about it being an historic event in red. 1-3"/hr rates ... thunder ... high winds ... dogs and cats sleeping together. I'm stoked that it's happening on the weekend, too.

The irony of this whole thing is, We may not see another storm with these dynamics all winter, Although i hope am totally wrong...

Archived