Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-218-0-06484100-1314369055.jpg

I need to start drinking or buy a pair of glasses. NAM looked really west to me, but that's actually a pretty horrendous situation for you and I?

Rumored that the Chesney/Brown show at the Razor may be getting moved up on Saturday or moved. I've got tickets, can't help but thinking it's not a great idea to have 60k people+ trying to get out of Foxboro at midnight before a hurricane.

fwiw I had a good insurance experience after Charley as did most others I know. This is what you've been paying those premiums for.

yeah...you just get nervous with the horror stories from the Gulf where people can't get claims to go through. My broker assured me that if this is a widespread event...chances are if we just have a water back up claim or something relatively small, the carriers will likely just cut a check with no questions asked...because they'll be more concerned about checking up on those making full claims or dealing with demolished roofs. Of course...the latter is still a possibility for me with the number of trees in the neighborhood...just trying to remind myself if its bad I won't be the only one going through it.

hell...our hurricane coverage deductable isn't even 1% of our home value. Of course...its about 5 miles inland and nowhere near as exposed as the Cape.

In the State of MA most all insurance carriers pulled out of the Cape/Barnstable County after the run of canes down south. The State stepped in and created a pool that they are all part of sharing the risk. Called the FAIR plan. FAIR for the insurance companies. Our rates about doubled, the deductibles went from 1% to 5%, and the coverage is less. That's what a lot don't get to our west, where Phil and I live...many of the neighbors....this is a crushing financial blow if this hits and does a lot of damage as it's not covered under the FAIR plan.

If you live on Nantucket or MV in a 300k modest home and this hits and rips your house to shreds, many are out the first 15k.

How much do generators cost?

A decent one is about $600 - $800 I wouldn't bother with anything under 6000 watts if you want to run the furnace and some appliances.

Honda and Subaru engines are always a good bet.

I'm looking to get a 2nd panel put in at our place this fall so all you need to do is fire it up and the whole house is on.

If you use oil to heat your house you may want to look into a diesel gen because in a pinch you can run it on your home heating oil.

Archived