• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

I have a couple of questions about tornadoes being spawned by hurricanes: which quadrant is the most likely to see this, and do the tornadoes tend to be on the small size, or larger? I'm in the Portland ME area, and the NE quadrant looks like it has my name written on it...

NE QUAD near LF points, small spinups

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the sound? wow, I can not imagine the open Ocean in RI with even that and waves 25 foot, damn.

Well surge in the Sound would be higher than open ocean. Surge is maximized and can be quite significant in LIS and we have been very lucky especially in western CT with storms arriving at low tide and being fast movers in recent years.

I would tell EM to add a category of expected surge on for this storm due to slow motion and large wind field.

Speaking of local coverage, my sense is that the overall attitude around here continues to be "meh." It's no exaggeration to say that I've seen more hype over an impending snowstorm than about Irene. I think part of it is that so much national attention has focused on NYC, plus the sense people here have that "these things always fall apart by the time they get up here." People are definitely talking about it, but there seems to be an overall dismissiveness. If the west trends continue I could see this being nothing too special, but I'm a little surprised at the general mindset. On a similar note, the early-AM disco from GYX certainly was anemic....

I've talked with several people myself who've been quite 'meh' about the whole thing too. Surprising, actually. I said to them 'ok, talk to me on Monday then'.

A GYX disco anemic? Never seen such a thing. ;)

Speaking of local coverage, my sense is that the overall attitude around here continues to be "meh." It's no exaggeration to say that I've seen more hype over an impending snowstorm than about Irene. I think part of it is that so much national attention has focused on NYC, plus the sense people here have that "these things always fall apart by the time they get up here." People are definitely talking about it, but there seems to be an overall dismissiveness. If the west trends continue I could see this being nothing too special, but I'm a little surprised at the general mindset. On a similar note, the early-AM disco from GYX certainly was anemic....

I agree. People are just blowing it off as another over-hyped event. My gut tells me that this will be a major pain in the butt come early next week. I can recall when Carol hit Maine when I was a young lad, and my father (who worked for New England Telephone) was gone for about 2 months doing repairs. These babies can blow stuff over.

Archived