wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a little unsure of how it will behave if it scrapes land for a while, but it's possible that strong venting and the fact that it is still in touch with warmer waters might not weaken it much. We'll see how it looks in te next 24 hrs.
The size of this thing tells us right away it won't weaken quickly. It's those tight compact canes that ramp down quickly. That and the expansive wind field with this thing means damage will be maximized

Random quesitons...a gas powered water pump will fit in the back of a minivan, right? At this point I'm going to forego attempting to install a battery back up sump pump. If I have major water back up into the basement...I figure I shouldn't have too much of an issue renting a pump up here and driving it down next week. Although I'm hoping any water seepage will be minimal enough to be handled with a wet-dry back and some sham-wows. We managed with minimal water in the basement when we got 7" in March 2010...although the sump pump was operational that whole time...

Talked to my insurance broker this morning...which put me a bit more at peace with the whole thing. Not completely mind you...but a little more accepting of whatever happens will happen. One thing that put it in perspective is he said he's had a couple people he's had to talk to this week (right on the coast) whose insurance policies have lapsed...and since carriers have suspended writing new policies...their pretty much SOL. Just thankful I'm not in that boat.

Gonna drive back to CT early tomorrow morning to just make a few final preps...board up our back sliding door windows, take out the window a/c units, ect. In a sick way looking forward to driving around a bit and experiencing the anticipation of the hit. Kind of like driving around before a big snow and seeing all the plows gassing up and people stocking up on salt & shovels...but in a band new way I may (and hope, at least as a home owner) only to experience once in my life.

Over most of Cape Cod if you're home is over 600k insured the deductible is 5%...starts at 30k. If you're within 1/2 of the shore it's 5% anyway. On the Islands it's 5% at 300k. Great deal...insurance is about $2700 a year for a 600k house AND you get to eat 30k if the house blows over.

NAM is west of the 0z.

Random quesitons...a gas powered water pump will fit in the back of a minivan, right? At this point I'm going to forego attempting to install a battery back up sump pump. If I have major water back up into the basement...I figure I shouldn't have too much of an issue renting a pump up here and driving it down next week. Although I'm hoping any water seepage will be minimal enough to be handled with a wet-dry back and some sham-wows. We managed with minimal water in the basement when we got 7" in March 2010...although the sump pump was operational that whole time...

This is the only reason I'm worried I wasn't able to find a genny. March of 2010 my sump shorted out and I ended up with 6 inches of water. Got it running, next day it shorted out again and within an hour I had 2 inches in the basement. Only time I've ever had water down there in 5 1/2 years.

I'm not nearly as optimistic as you but agree it could get destroyed by land. If it manages to mostly stay in the swamps of ENC and offshore after that we're screwed. If it ends up running with the western eyewall over land as it comes up the coast it's going to be weaker than people think IMO.

We just don't know. Next 6 hours of motion will be the key.

If it interacts with land significantly 60mph will be pushing it here again JMHO. If not, 100?

i understand the sentiment but i seriously urge caution on this - most especially if someone lives on the south side (which i know you don't).

i'm not trying to be condescending or anything. but this isn't Bob. it's a massive storm. a TS wind field of 300 miles is very very big.

FORECAST VALID 28/0600Z 37.8N 75.0W

MAX WIND 85 KT...GUSTS 105 KT.

50 KT...120NE 120SE 75SW 60NW.

34 KT...270NE 240SE 140SW 120NW.

Over most of Cape Cod if you're home is over 600k insured the deductible is 5%...starts at 30k. If you're within 1/2 of the shore it's 5% anyway. On the Islands it's 5% at 300k. Great deal...insurance is about $2700 a year for a 600k house AND you get to eat 30k if the house blows over.

NAM is west of the 0z.

hell...our hurricane coverage deductable isn't even 1% of our home value. Of course...its about 5 miles inland and nowhere near as exposed as the Cape.

Talked to my insurance broker this morning...which put me a bit more at peace with the whole thing. Not completely mind you...but a little more accepting of whatever happens will happen. One thing that put it in perspective is he said he's had a couple people he's had to talk to this week (right on the coast) whose insurance policies have lapsed...and since carriers have suspended writing new policies...their pretty much SOL. Just thankful I'm not in that boat.

Gonna drive back to CT early tomorrow morning to just make a few final preps...board up our back sliding door windows, take out the window a/c units, ect. In a sick way looking forward to driving around a bit and experiencing the anticipation of the hit. Kind of like driving around before a big snow and seeing all the plows gassing up and people stocking up on salt & shovels...but in a band new way I may (and hope, at least as a home owner) only to experience once in my life.

fwiw I had a good insurance experience after Charley as did most others I know. This is what you've been paying those premiums for.

Archived