gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, the "crying wolf" factor that I referred to. However, I honestly feel that they're saving lives and property each time they hype a hurricane in SNE. They happen so rarely that people forget...

It only takes one, you know??

Anyway, relax a bit, you're starting to stir the hornet's nest.

That's not my intention. This will be a big storm and it will have a temoundous impact. It's a very serious situation. The preparation undoubtably saved lives and thats a good thing. If hoping/rooting for this thing to fizzle out or misses us all together makes me a bad poster, so be it. I'd rather be a bad poster on a weather forum than see people get hurt and/or their property destroyed. My intent is not to inflame or troll here, but since a differing opinion is not welcome I'll just go. I hope you all enjoy the storm.

I can't wait for Tropical Storm Irene to make landfall in NE so I can come back to this thread and read all this 1938 hurricane stuff and laugh. This storm looks weaker with each advisory and less and less impressive. The chances of me not living like a caveman for the next two weeks is improving every hour. I'm going to feel bad for everyone who watched TWC and their video clips of 1938, believed the hype and rushed out to by generators.

I'd reckon that it's better to be prepared and have a storm fizzle than the opposite. No?

Obviously SNE isn't going to look like Homestead,Fl post Andrew but it would be foolish to underestimate the potential for disruption/damage. The very nature of Hurricanes is unpredictability, way better to say "glad I didn't need the generator and extra provisions" then "Sh*t, no power or food for a few days". We've spent the last 5hrs doing storm prep , hopefully we won't need to cut our way out come Monday morning but if the worst happens we're ready. I'll get calls from guys like contrail wanting help if disaster strikes. Bottom of the list.lol Probably will end up windy and rainy and not much else but probably isn't good enough.

I believe those figures were revised downward in the best track analysis.

Many of the people here weren't even alive during Gloria and certainly weren't up watching Cheers that night. I was just talking to my old man...he said all stations ran with 130mph that night, was from NHC. I think you are right they revised it downward afterwards.

Again though, perceptions for those of us alive and with memories of Gloria...at this point NHC thought it was a 130mph monster as it approached the outer banks.

Thanks for dropping in.. Hope the storm is enjoyable for you!

With Irene "underperforming" relative to intensity forecasts, I thought I'd take a look at the historical data. The insights from the data are consistent with what has been happening. Despite the data, the storm should not be taken lightly. It will create some significant problems. It will also be quite memorable for those who experience it in the Mid-Atlantic/New England regions.

Many of the people here weren't even alive during Gloria and certainly weren't up watching Cheers that night. I was just talking to my old man...he said all stations ran with 130mph that night, was from NHC. I think you are right they revised it downward afterwards.

Again though, perceptions for those of us alive and with memories of Gloria...at this point NHC thought it was a 130mph monster as it approached the outer banks.

Yeah I think they were in hype/worry fest at NHC with a 945mb hurricane off the Carolinas heading toward NYC.

Very good points, Messenger. The NYC media were reporting similar information at the time. If I'm not mistaken, the storm was initially classified as Cat. 3 landfall on Long Island. It was falling apart rapidly at that time and its eye had ballooned in size.

That's not my intention. This will be a big storm and it will have a temoundous impact. It's a very serious situation. The preparation undoubtably saved lives and thats a good thing. If hoping/rooting for this thing to fizzle out or misses us all together makes me a bad poster, so be it. I'd rather be a bad poster on a weather forum than see people get hurt and/or their property destroyed. My intent is not to inflame or troll here, but since a differing opinion is not welcome I'll just go. I hope you all enjoy the storm.

You aren't a bad poster because you don't want damage, it is because your "call" of weakening and a TS is BECAUSE you don't want damage.

Fantastic news to come home to for lunch, winds down to 105, cloud tops are warming and Irene is weakening and might only be a Cat 1 at landfall on the OBX :thumbsup: Looks like se ne should see some winds 50-75 miles and hour, while back hear low end tropical storm stuff with the eye passing well to the east.

yeah...it was also 26 years ago. data was nothing like it is today...the concern with Gloria was warranted, imo.

Fantastic news to come home to for lunch, winds down to 105, cloud tops are warming and Irene is weakening and might only be a Cat 1 at landfall on the OBX :thumbsup: Looks like se ne should see some winds 50-75 miles and hour, while back hear low end tropical storm stuff with the eye passing well to the east.

What are you talking about. Are you trying to stir the pot?

Did cloud cottontails hack your account?

Isn't it an open question at this point whether it will be worse than Gloria or Bob ?

Yes and no. When professionals here are posting graphics that show it has the potential and to have posts to the contrary that have no scientific backing I have to disagee. You can respectfully disagree but back it up with something concrete and scientific rather than opinion.

That being said 12z GFS is a monster hit.

Archived