e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic news to come home to for lunch, winds down to 105, cloud tops are warming and Irene is weakening and might only be a Cat 1 at landfall on the OBX :thumbsup: Looks like se ne should see some winds 50-75 miles and hour, while back hear low end tropical storm stuff with the eye passing well to the east.

eye or what's left of it passes right over us on NAM and GFS....not sure where you are getting well east

What are you talking about. Are you trying to stir the pot?

Excuse me? I said the cane is down to 105.............which it is.............I said tops have warmed ................which they have. My hope is for this to be a high end cat 1 at landfall on obx and then continue to weaken and head east, or should I be hoping for 8 ft of water in my home?

Excuse me? I said the cane is down to 105.............which it is.............I said tops have warmed ................which they have. My hope is for this to be a high end cat 1 at landfall on obx and then continue to weaken and head east, or should I be hoping for 8 ft of water in my home?

any talk of evacs down your way?

yeah...it was also 26 years ago. data was nothing like it is today...the concern with Gloria was warranted, imo.

Parts of the south shore of long island had significant structural damage in Gloria and winds easily gusted to over 100 in this areas. In terms of wind damage in the northeast irene will be a pimple on both Gloria's and Bob's A$$. But storm surge damage is certainly intriguing if you don't own property along the immediate shoreline.

to folks inland a bit and removed from the wind threat some...definitely take the rain aspect seriously.

probably starts tomorrow and doesn't end for someone until sunday night. qpf isn't modeled that high tomorrow but could envision that even being underdone in spots. then guidance pumping out 5 to 7" of rain sunday. even if that were right - which it won't be, it'll be higher - that's going to be serious.

any talk of evacs down your way?

I dont know I have to get back to work, shoring things up for clients and doing my last few cuts, expecting a surge here of 8 ft, but that was off old info, the storm HAS weakened despite some that choose not to believe it. If its 8 ft that puts water into my first floor and climbing the steps to the upstairs. I hoping the weakening and accelerating speed on models limits the piling of water into western li sound.

It is what it is, everything of value will be moved to the second floor by tom am, mother nature will do what she wants. Hurricane party with some friends tom night.

yeah that comes in midday - coincides very well with midday high tides out here on the cape.

Just jumped into the thread. Because of semi-diurnal inequality, the night-time highs are higher than the day-time highs. Day-time highs are a solid foot lower than the night-time highs. Not to say that it won't be significant, though.

to folks inland a bit and removed from the wind threat some...definitely take the rain aspect seriously.

probably starts tomorrow and doesn't end for someone until sunday night. qpf isn't modeled that high tomorrow but could envision that even being underdone in spots. then guidance pumping out 5 to 7" of rain sunday. even if that were right - which it won't be, it'll be higher - that's going to be serious.

and the Ct River and it's tribs will be in flood stage long after the storm passes if the higher qpf's verify.

No doubt.. just west of the center will get absolutely hammered with rain.. I might as well throw.my garden away lol..

I don't think a long range model can really hammer the qpf of a tropical system.. notice how on the gfs, the storms qpf actually strengthens as it gets to NE

Not only the rain too, this is a hurricane lol even if it passes to your east, there will be good winds on the west side of the system

Last recon was up to 949 it looks like?

Looks like she sucked up some dry air several hours ago. Will be interesting to see if the visible sat is playing tricks or if she is trying to hollow out an eye and maybe regroup.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t2/flash-wv.html

What's good about this storm is it has plenty of time to, I wouldn't say strengthen, but reorganize into a better system structurally

Nice NW jog the last few frames too! Really thought she was going to get her act together last night but she certainly is not today. My worst fears of a catastrophic New England event have greatly diminshed. Lots of power outages but little major structural damage in my opinion except for storm surge issues. Big hit but not the once in a lifetime event that I had feared last evening.

Archived