EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Hurricane Irene

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A track over the benchmark...would that mean a nor'easter type storm for SNE..or with a possible cat 1 storm could it be more significant around here??

A BM track would be pretty low impact...a lot of rain, esp for eastern areas, and just some run of the mill gusty winds with perhaps some solid TS force winds down on the Cape/ACK.

The trend has actually been converging over SNE...the eastern models over the BM yesterday like the GGEM/Ukie are coming west and the western outliers like Euro and to a lesser extent, the GFS, have come east over the past 24 hours.

This obviously does not mean the consensus is correct though given the time frame.

Will, where are the showing a landfall over long island? Central or Eastern?

Wasn't that around the time they started officially naming storms?

Yup, 1950 or thereabouts I think-- storms had some interesting names back then, like "Dog" and "King." Maybe they hadn't started cycling names yet.

Incidentally, Dog was one of the most intense hurricanes on record in the Atlantic. Lol, the name Dog was used in 1950, 1951 and 1952.... Dog (1950) was the Cat 5 (and has the record for most consecutive days as a Cat 5...peaking at 185 mph and passing within 200 miles of Cape Cod in a weakened state of course lol.)

King hit downtown Miami as a 120 mph Cat 3 in 1950.

This sucker could race north at 40mph through the CT River Valley, while a Cat1, and I'd still probably only get a 25kt gust up here. Therefore I'm hoping the track stays just to my east so that I can get in on the 5"+ rains. Although the possibility of Kevin losing power for a few days would be enticing.

This sucker could race north at 40mph through the CT River Valley, while a Cat1, and I'd still probably only get a 25kt gust up here. Therefore I'm hoping the track stays just to my east so that I can get in on the 5"+ rains. Although the possibility of Kevin losing power for a few days would be enticing.

:lmao:

This may have been discussed already or brought up but...

Looks like there is some sort of shortwave trough moving through Canada with a cold front this weekend as well...usually (If I'm correct here) we get shafted from these things b/c fronts/troughs moving through steer them out to sea, however, this is not a deep digging trough and is sliding more from the NW to SE...anyways, b/c of this would this help to tuck the storm closer to the coast and draw it closer to SNE?

Archived