Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Irene

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It goes from NW NJ at 132h to the MA/CT/NY triple point at 138h. At 00z it went from E PA to Albany or GFL...so this track is east of 00z but still west of most other guidance.

thoughts?

pretty decent consensus right now for something making LF in the general SNE vicinity. not sure at what point to really jump on board...think the time is soon. LOL

It goes from NW NJ at 132h to the MA/CT/NY triple point at 138h. At 00z it went from E PA to Albany or GFL...so this track is east of 00z but still west of most other guidance.

It's like all the globals are narrowing their spread up here to the BDL/ORH corridor.

Yeah the spread seems to be narrowing in on the NYC area for western track to about Ct/RI border for eastern track. Pretty good concensus for 5 days out..Certainly mking for some fun times around here..and one that SNE as a whole hasn't seen in 2 decades now

thoughts?

pretty decent consensus right now for something making LF in the general SNE vicinity. not sure at what point to really jump on board...think the time is soon. LOL

I'm really not going to try and pinpoint a track here until at least tomorrow night. But I do like how the models are keeping it west and not over the Cape right now. If we assume that globals hold their position for another 60-72 hours, then we can start thinking about a RI or SE MA landfall as they always shift E in the final 2 days.

I'm really not going to try and pinpoint a track here until at least tomorrow night. But I do like how the models are keeping it west and not over the Cape right now. If we assume that globals hold their position for another 60-72 hours, then we can start thinking about a RI or SE MA landfall as they always shift E in the final 2 days.

Always?

You just have to get chills reading this

Agreed completely. I know the models were way off on their forecasts from several days ago, but a lot of that had to do with not getting the location of genesis correct or picking up on how deep the system got early on. Now that we have a well developed system and a pretty straightforward synoptic setup, it is hard for me to imagine the models being so far off that this totally misses everything to the right, especially given that the forecast seems to agree well with the mean synoptics of amplified ridges to the west and east. Not saying that there won't still be some adjustments or surprises - but it seems like we are narrowing down toward an E NC to SNE type of impact. The EC would have be 10 degrees too far west on its day 4-7 forecast for this to be a complete fish - not impossible, obviously (what is?) but unlikely.

Bertha I think was further west. I remember seeing a track to Montauk Pt being forecast and it tracked over JFK. That would actually be much more significant than a track over the cape, because all of us would be in the right front quadrant. The MTP forecast track was actually still there 12 hours before the storm came up here and it was off by 100 miles lol-- too far east.

yeah half expected to see the 12z runs near the canal...and as such the beginning of game over.

still so far to go with this and obviously little players along the way will matter in terms of sensible weather impacts.

don't have much feeling for wind/surge impacts yet/if at all, but confidence for serious rain threat for someone is going up.

But the point is they didn't bend east..Hugo is another.

I'm not talking about where it makes landfall here, I'm talking about model bias 2 days out up here on TCs. They almost always trend E within those last couple days...whether that's from NYC to HVN or from GON to Cape Cod, I don't know at this point, but the model bias has been pretty glaring on TCs up here. Maybe this year will be different and it will trend W in the final 2 days, but I certainly would not bet on it.

I'm not talking about where it makes landfall here, I'm talking about model bias 2 days out up here on TCs. They almost always trend E within those last couple days...whether that's from NYC to HVN or from GON to Cape Cod, I don't know at this point, but the model bias has been pretty glaring on TCs up here. Maybe this year will be different and it will trend W in the final 2 days, but I certainly would not bet on it.

The most rain is usually west side, right?

I don't think this will trend west either..and we really don't want it to..I think the Euro track might be better for us wind damage wise

Will, look up the Bertha track-- I distinctly remember that was forecast to go over MTP and went over JFK instead (and that was within 12 hours.) JFK to Bridgeport actually.

The most rain is usually west side, right?

Yes 100-150 miles west of the eye-- Bertha's max rainfalls were in the Poconos, for example. With Gloria, max rainfall at this lat was in NYC and with Bob it was actually in my area (at my lat anyway.)

Larry Cosgrove just posted this on his Facebook page.

HWRF and ECMWF model results are in folks. This is going to be one hell of a storm, and anyone living from NC northward to SE QC and NB are about to get hot with a hurricane. Worst impacts Philadelphia and New York metros. I will have an update on examiner.com

Yes, it really IS that bad....

Archived