EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Hurricane Irene

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Gloria we had no power for about 2 weeks. Barely rained at all, just huge wind gusts. A solid 80-100mph gust storm would do a tremendous amount of damage down this way especially as we've had a lot of rain and the ground is not drought hard anyway.

A track over eastern Long Island will be pretty devastating for most of SE New England/Eastern New England if it maintains Cat 1 to 2 intensity. I've been through it once with Gloria and don't care to see it again but I suppose it's about that time.

It's coming but west of that..likely over or just east of NYC

Wow at CAntore..who doesn't typically hype

JimCantore Jim Cantore Anyone w/ plans from the #OBX 2 New England needs 2 review evacuation plans & prepare 4a storm like we haven't seen in at least a generation

Has TWC been hyping this on air in this fashion?

And Cantore is usually pretty level headed until in the belly of the beast

How much influence does a 13,000 ' mountain range (or whatever it is) have on a tropical system? seems like that coudl be the source of the dry air? Look at the latest water vapor and it looks like the dry air is no longer a major player. I'm still thinking the limiting development factor is wind shear and anti-cyclone.

Not to sound like a pansy or anything, but I'm kind of worried about this storm, HVN seems to be a likely landfall spot...I'm hoping this storm either turns away or significantly weakens.

Before you all go on rooting for a direct hit, think about how many lives maybe significantly effected or even destroyed by something like this.

You have common sense...you are not being a wuss...

I also hope few people are negatively affected. No one needs this. The science/met parts are neat, the rest I could do without.

CC-BM.

That would be devastating emotionally. hop in the bathtub full of melting water and ice full of preperations, with the laptop in hand with microwave on standby incase that doesn't do it.

Seriously, there has to be something up with the speed of the system. And why does the storm just go straight north? Does that continue? or are the models just not sophisticated enough to pick up on a subtle issue such as weakened NW ATL high, or even the incoming troughs at this time range and they will sniff it out in the next few cycles...

Well, I didn't want to seem like a wet blanket.

I have never been worried for a hurricane so much, ever, not Earl, Floyd and all the rest, to young to remember Bob and was not even born yet when Gloria hit.

I guess we will just see what happens. Good luck to everyone.

I understand what you are saying, but I want this thing to crush us....

It's coming but west of that..likely over or just east of NYC

That wouldn't be bad here I don't think..some rain some strong winds but nothing worse than 1/05. Bad for you guys, Mattfm westward.

I have a hard time buying the NYC track just based on how it's gradually been slipping east but part of that is the n/s adjustment as models figured out it wasn't going over the islands but coming north....be interesting to see in the next 15 or so hours if the models stabilize on the trend east or continue it?

Archived