joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thunderstorms galore next 5 days

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South flow isn't inhibiting things there are other factors working against us. The line is weakening now.

Haven't really looked at much wx stuff the past few weeks but looking at some things right now at leas thing that blows in ML lapse rates are much more poor across our area compared to areas just to our west. Also, shear is pretty much non existent. I'm sure there is more going against us but haven't looked.

I don't know if it makes it that far. Western Litchfield and Fairfield Counties will probably get a decent storm.

Our clouds from 10a-2p really screwed us today. Either way I didn't expect much here in the valley... with a southerly flow and no trigger everything is terrain driven.

Teach me, how is a strong southerly flow off the Atlantic not a marine layer, it certainly was not continental.

It is an honest question bro.

Yes by 00z of course there is a shallow marine layer at OKX... but the initial question posed by Kevin was why hadn't storms formed over CT. It had nothing to do with the southerly flow (though that was a reason you wouldn't pop something in S CT) the reason was really the persistent and poorly timed mid level cloud deck between 10 and 2.

Not to mention the fact I don't think most people use the term "marine layer" to describe a feeble sea breeze front with little/no low level cloudiness or fog.

There was a weak s/w that was south of LI today. That probably helped provide some of the forcing for convection over ern areas. Also I wonder if some sort of differential or seabreeze boundary help pop a storm in nrn RI, and activity just went from there. It's almost as if once we got a little outflow or mini cold pool to develop, the storms went bonkers. Sort of a self development thing with CAPES being so high. I actually watched the cells develop to the sw when I was stuck in traffic on the expressway.

Sorry if you have the answer but, was that the night of a tornado warned supercell IMBY, Very loud storm one of the best I have seen.

Edit, Yep that is the storm

http://users.rcn.com/rmacedo/aug10.htm

No tornado but, the storm went over the NWS.

This, and the outbreak on June 1st this year were the only two times in my life i was scared during a severe weather event.

Yes by 00z of course there is a shallow marine layer at OKX... but the initial question posed by Kevin was why hadn't storms formed over CT. It had nothing to do with the southerly flow (though that was a reason you wouldn't pop something in S CT) the reason was really the persistent and poorly timed mid level cloud deck between 10 and 2.

Not to mention the fact I don't think most people use the term "marine layer" to describe a feeble sea breeze front with little/no low level cloudiness or fog.

Thanks , let me spin some more, but that was a 12 Z sounding, marine layer by definition has nothing to do with clouds/ fog , this is from NWS, pretty funny they mention media weather reporters, just spinning though.....

It is not unusual to hear media weather reporters discuss the marine layer as synonymous with the fog or stratus it may contain, but this is erroneous. In fact, a marine layer can exist with virtually no cloudiness of any kind, although it usually does contain some. The marine layer is a medium within which clouds may form under the right conditions, not the layers of clouds themselves.

Archived