Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Dog days continue, summer days those summer nights

Ginx snewx

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand your view totally. Your choice. Are you vegan? The other issue is clothes, shampoos, drugs, etc made by the killing testing of animals.

Not a vegan...yet. Agree entirely on the non food products.

Note to Scott: Killing and ravaging other humans is in our blood as well. We must evolve....or at least I must.

Pouring out! The radar ap on the iPad is amazing. Can get it so close up you can see streets. Winter's gonna be fun!

Note to Scott: Killing and ravaging other humans is in our blood as well. We must evolve....or at least I do.

Pouring out! The radar ap on the iPad is amazing. Can get it so close up you can see streets. Winter's gonna be fun!

Which app Jer? I use radarscope, Scott does eat weenies alive does that count?

Note to Scott: Killing and ravaging other humans is in our blood as well. We must evolve....or at least I must.

Unfortunately true, but eating is out of survival. Killing humans is something else..a terrible flaw that some of us have.

This almost looks like a winter storm meso event... :weenie:

This is perfect for the garden though... night rains... just threw a little fertilizer down since its coming down so good. The garden is actually bouncing back after that extreme heat.

Heavy heavy rain

Management of species is code for killing. That's my view and it's not popular. Most of the animal flesh you eat may have come from animals raised inhumanely. Even if raised humanely, I can't any longer bring myself to have an animal come into the prime of it's life and slaughter it. I can make different dietary choices even if I must give up what I like.

I love meat. We evolved by eating it, it's not a new thing. I won't feel bad eating it either, but I know you and many others feel different and I respect everyone's ability to choose. That is probably our greatest trait living in a free world.

That said, I agree with your winter/summer thing, but I do like a little bit of fall. I find September a terrible a month though. I could go with maybe 3-4 weeks of the crisp mid/late October fall where you have a shot at seeing the first mangled flakes and frequent frosts along with the amazing foliage....just as a prelude to winter. I'll forgo all of spring...I think my perfect scenario is like 4 months of summer, 1 month of autumn (the type I described) and then 7 months of winter.

Venison and Buffalo are my favs. Wildlife mgmt classes taught me a lot about population crashes, mgmt of species is not a bad thing for the masses, overpopulation leads to mass extinction from disease. Ribs and backstraps yum.

I wish you could come down here and do some species management. We have a serious deer problem in Westchester County, as the lack of natural predators in a suburban area combined with all the landscaped yards and nature preserves gives them a nearly unlimited opportunity to expand their population. Deer and raccoons have been ruining my vegetable garden, and the deer pose an awful hazard to motorists at night. I wish there were something we could do, like have a team of expert hunters kill a certain number at a prescribed time so that people in this highly populated area would be safe, but at the same time we'd be getting rid of the excess population. It's an awful problem, and then you get into the old environmentalist debate about whether humans should be "changing nature" such as hunting in deer-laden "nature preserves" in the face of the fact that we've already changed everything in terms of ecosystems.

Management of species is code for killing. That's my view and it's not popular. Most of the animal flesh you eat may have come from animals raised inhumanely. Even if raised humanely, I can't any longer bring myself to have an animal come into the prime of it's life and slaughter it. I can make different dietary choices even if I must give up what I like.

I am mostly a vegetarian, eat some seafood, but there are plenty of farms that do humanely raised meat. Especially in New England/Vermont, these type of grass-fed, small-time operations are all over the place. It's more expensive, but you are putting food in a farmer's mouth. If it comes down to buying fresh, local venison or tofu that's been trucked 2000 miles and then stored on a supermarket shelf for a week, what do you do?

Like white out rains..lol.

I had 1.39" at the Wunderground gauge, and they're often low. I was driving on the Saw Mill Parkway towards the GW Bridge when the rains hit, absolute hell.

That said, I agree with your winter/summer thing, but I do like a little bit of fall. I find September a terrible a month though. I could go with maybe 3-4 weeks of the crisp mid/late October fall where you have a shot at seeing the first mangled flakes and frequent frosts along with the amazing foliage....just as a prelude to winter. I'll forgo all of spring...I think my perfect scenario is like 4 months of summer, 1 month of autumn (the type I described) and then 7 months of winter.

I would never give up fall in New England, but I agree that October is the month you want to cling to. I love walking through a sugar maple and beech forest with all the bright reds and yellows around me, feeling the first cold October night as the leaves dance in the streets and the scent of wood smoke drifts through the neighborhood for the first time, waiting for the first flakes in the higher elevations, etc. Those things are very special rituals of the passage of the seasons (first frost, first flakes, first time turning on the heat), and I wouldn't wish it any other way. Also, crisp dry fall beats the rainy, foggy spring all the time!

62/62, fog, nothing but low to mid 70's forecast here for the next 7 days. Not even a rogue 80 degree day. Nice to be moving through the heart of August with such comfortable temps. Some decent rain here yesterday and last night. More to come.

First third of August is in the books and the highest temp in my 'hood for the month has been 83F. I'll take that to the bank. No high heat in the forecast either - must all be down in southwest CT.

Read the discussion about noticing the late summer look. I've seen a few trees with leaves turning color in my area. Yes, it's stress related but it always happens this time of year and to me is a signal that summer is on the wane. Also have been noticing the ever-decreasing amount of daylight ... losing 2.5 minutes/day now.

First third of August is in the books and the highest temp in my 'hood for the month has been 83F. I'll take that to the bank. No high heat in the forecast either - must all be down in southwest CT.

Read the discussion about noticing the late summer look. I've seen a few trees with leaves turning color in my area. Yes, it's stress related but it always happens this time of year and to me is a signal that summer is on the wane. Also have been noticing the ever-decreasing amount of daylight ... losing 2.5 minutes/day now.

Yep, losing the light rapidly. Just loving the forecast with the lack of sizzle. I wasn't saying Fall was here, just that the end of Summer is on the doorstep. Lot's of signs that it's just about run its course.

June was below and wet, August looks like it will be normal and wet, maybe below. The fact remains we've had very little in the way of high heat. I suspect warmer than normal overnights are driving any positive departures. All SD's.

June was basically normal. Some sites -0.1 but that's basically normal.

July was quite warm, and so far August has been warm...just no extremely high temps. My guess is that August comes in above normal, but with temps on the decline...it doesn't feel as bad as an above normal July. Swampass dews can easily happen, though.

While I managed to get the best rain in recent memory, the whopping .21" has fallen short of both hopes and expecations.

Regardless, it's invigorated a seemingly dormant (yet still very green) lawn to suddenly grow. Thus, I may find myself mowing for the first time in several weeks (I know the thought of that might make some board members cringe).

64.5/63

While I managed to get the best rain in recent memory, the whopping .21" has fallen short of both hopes and expecations.

Regardless, it's invigorated a seemingly dormant (yet still very green) lawn to suddenly grow. Thus, I may find myself mowing for the first time in several weeks (I know the thought of that might make some board members cringe).

64.5/63

I thought you would get more for sure. Wow.

It turns out the secondary low really stole the show. 12Z NAM had that yesterday and we commented on it, but I didn't think the precip shield would fragment over western mass. Again, it goes to show you how difficult it can be to forecast synoptic rains like this, during summer.

June was below and wet, August looks like it will be normal and wet, maybe below. The fact remains we've had very little in the way of high heat. I suspect warmer than normal overnights are driving any positive departures. All SD's.

August does not look below normal. The last 10-12 days look nasty humid and much above

Archived