gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Dog days continue, summer days those summer nights

Ginx snewx

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought you would get more for sure. Wow.

It turns out the secondary low really stole the show. 12Z NAM had that yesterday and we commented on it, but I didn't think the precip shield would fragment over western mass. Again, it goes to show you how difficult it can be to forecast synoptic rains like this, during summer.

I have .63 on the month. Far from wet, but it's more than I'd have expected given what seems to have been interminably dry.

It's been a cool August...if you live in Maine. Everywhere else has been well above normal with the largest departures through the first nine days of the month across western New England into the Hudson Valley.

MEAN TEMPERATURE DEPARTURE
ID  STATION          AUG  JUL  JUN  SUMMER
VSF SPRINGFIELD VT   4.5
BDR BRIDGEPORT CT    3.4  3.6  1.5    2.8
ORH WORCESTER MA     3.0  2.9 -0.1    1.9
ALB ALBANY NY        2.9  3.8  1.6    2.8
BDL HARTFORD CT      2.9  2.3  0.0    1.7
DDH BENNINGTON VT    2.9
BTV BURLINGTON VT    2.8  2.2  0.5    1.8
MPV MONTPELIER VT    2.7  1.6  0.0    1.4
PVD PROVIDENCE RI    2.4  2.8 -0.2    1.7
GFL GLENS FALLS NY   2.4  1.9  0.5    1.6
MVL MORRISVILLE VT   2.4
PSF PITTSFIELD MA    2.4
CON CONCORD NH       2.3  2.0 -0.5    1.3
MLT MILLINOCKET ME   2.2  2.6  0.4    1.7
BOS BOSTON MA        1.8  3.4 -0.9    1.4
PBG PLATTSBURGH NY   1.7 
CAR CARIBOU ME       1.4  1.5  0.0    1.0
HUL HOULTON ME       1.2  0.2 -1.0    0.1
1V4 ST JOHNSBURY VT  1.0  1.3 -1.2    0.4
FVE FRENCHVILLE ME   0.3
PWM PORTLAND ME      0.1  3.6 -0.2    1.2
BGR BANGOR ME       -0.3  1.6 -2.2   -0.3
GYX GRAY ME         -0.4  3.8

It's been a cool August...if you live in Maine. Everywhere else has been well above normal with the largest departures through the first nine days of the month across western New England into the Hudson Valley. Summer temperature departures will be adjusted upward at the end of the month to reflect the new normals which will apply retroactively to seasonal averages.

MEAN TEMPERATURE DEPARTURE
ID  STATION          AUG  JUL  JUN  SUMMER
VSF SPRINGFIELD VT   4.5
BDR BRIDGEPORT CT    3.4  3.6  1.5    2.8
ORH WORCESTER MA     3.0  2.9 -0.1    1.9
ALB ALBANY NY        2.9  3.8  1.6    2.8
BDL HARTFORD CT      2.9  2.3  0.0    1.7
DDH BENNINGTON VT    2.9
BTV BURLINGTON VT    2.8  2.2  0.5    1.8
MPV MONTPELIER VT    2.7  1.6  0.0    1.4
PVD PROVIDENCE RI    2.4  2.8 -0.2    1.7
GFL GLENS FALLS NY   2.4  1.9  0.5    1.6
MVL MORRISVILLE VT   2.4
PSF PITTSFIELD MA    2.4
CON CONCORD NH       2.3  2.0 -0.5    1.3
MLT MILLINOCKET ME   2.2  2.6  0.4    1.7
BOS BOSTON MA        1.8  3.4 -0.9    1.4
PBG PLATTSBURGH NY   1.7 
CAR CARIBOU ME       1.4  1.5  0.0    1.0
HUL HOULTON ME       1.2  0.2 -1.0    0.1
1V4 ST JOHNSBURY VT  1.0  1.3 -1.2    0.4
FVE FRENCHVILLE ME   0.3
PWM PORTLAND ME      0.1  3.6 -0.2    1.2
BGR BANGOR ME       -0.3  1.6 -2.2   -0.3
GYX GRAY ME         -0.4  3.8

Nice chart, not a torch summer just a tad warm with the one week in July really pumping up the departures.

Nice chart, not a torch summer just a tad warm with the one week in July really pumping up the departures.

It hasn't been bad, mostly because as others have mentioned a good chunk of those departures are because of warmer nights. A general +1-2 summer isn't too bad, though a widespread +2-2.5 is about where I start calling it a torch over a three month period.

One final note about the data, the summer averages are a bit skewed since it's just the average of the three months, so August's warmth weighs a bit more heavily than it should on the overall average. One correction is that I'm not entirely sure how the retroactive application of the normals to seasonal averages will move the summer departures. I guess that's station dependent, but I did read a statement from NWS to the effect that monthly departures stay as is, but summer will be adjusted, so I guess we might see some inconsistencies with official averages for the summer months.

last nights rain partially flooded my basement studio....water *just* came short of 11k in equipment. :yikes: Interesting because we've had much heavier rain and flooding events with no water at all down there, so I'm a little concerned and confused.

Any ideas how to easily and inexpensively get water out of waterlogged carpeting?

last nights rain partially flooded my basement studio....water *just* came short of 11k in equipment. :yikes: Interesting because we've had much heavier rain and flooding events with no water at all down there, so I'm a little concerned and confused.

Any ideas how to easily and inexpensively get water out of waterlogged carpeting?

That's weird cause water usually runs off instead of sinks into the soil when it had been this dry

That's weird...I didn't think you got that much rain. Any idea how it came in?

As far as getting it removed...that's tough. You can try one of those wet/dry shop vacs and then try some fans and dehumidifiers to help it out. Otherwise, might have to get rid of the carpet.

Shop vac, floor blowers.

Some of the rain totals are impressive. 5-6" since Sunday. BOS had almost 2" last night, but I had some storms train over my house around 4am that just missed Logan, so I'm guessing maybe 2.3+" at my crib.

So awesome to see all those -0 850s show up in Canada again, let the countdown begin, what subtle hints?

That's weird...I didn't think you got that much rain. Any idea how it came in?

As far as getting it removed...that's tough. You can try one of those wet/dry shop vacs and then try some fans and dehumidifiers to help it out. Otherwise, might have to get rid of the carpet.

I think the water came in through a crack in the garage and went down the wall into the basement. The runoff aspect must have been the key. though initially we thought it came through a crack underneath.

The good news is I ruined the carpet 3 months ago painting, kicked over a 1/4 gallon. I don't have to hide it from the wife any longer lol

Archived