Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Dog days continue, summer days those summer nights

Ginx snewx

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fair enough.

if they think fall is showing itself on 8/9...that's fine and it very well could be. i don't live there so i can't speak for the area.

imo, it's no different than saying you can sense spring in the first week or so of february because the snow is melting off the road a bit better than it does at the end of december. is it true? sure i suppose. is it really representative of the time of year? not in my eyes.

Messenger smells Spring in the air on January 12th. He already noticed how strong the sun is.

Messenger smells Spring in the air on January 12th. He already noticed how strong the sun is.

yeah it's the same thing. people get pissed, and rightfully so, for trolls coming in and talking about how you can really sense spring is nearing on 2/1 - despite the fact that all of feb/march lay ahead (though march has sucked recently). there's truth to it, but it's weak. we're like 2-3 weeks past the climo max for the year.

Glad you said it. I noticed a few of the maples on the property have some swatches of color and as you say the early summer green is fading into the late season golden green. Love when people from outside the highlands tell us what we are experiencing.lol

The highlands? People LIVE at 8k feet+ and higher than your house and even where you work out west lol. 1.3k =/= highlands Pete Haha Cmonn

The highlands? People LIVE at 8k feet+ and higher than your house and even where you work out west lol. 1.3k =/= highlands Pete Haha Cmonn

This is true, but a couple of points. Much of the weather differences will be witnessed by relative elevation. Just compare the typical snow differences in SNE between GC,/western ORH county compared to the rest of SNE.

So make fun of the description (highlands) if you want, but I'll take a 1-1,5K elevation here in SNE over the comparable elevation in the midwest any day.

GC ftw.

70.3/68

This is true, but a couple of points. Much of the weather differences will be witnessed by relative elevation. Just compare the typical snow differences in SNE between GC,/western ORH county compared to the rest of SNE.

So make fun of the description (highlands) if you want, but I'll take a 1-1,5K elevation here in SNE over the comparable elevation in the midwest any day.

GC ftw.

70.3/68

I like Pete A lot I just bust his chops about it cause he gets Trolled so often already. I live at 1k fwiw

It's what this area is called locally. For instance, the Highland Ambulance Service provides emergency services for my area. It's just a name commonly used, not something I made up. Furthermore, to Snowman and any other doubting Thomas, my original post simply said the landscape was taking on a late summer look. I took a few shots with my crappy cell phone camera but they should illustrate what I was saying. Summer crops ready to come in, early migrators getting it together, temp of 68, -rn, wind. Sure looking like late summer to my eye.

Leaves no longer fresh and healthy, now leathery and weather ravaged. Goldenrod at it's peak. Despite the assertion that it has been exceedingly dry, high meadows still growing well and showing little evidence of burning out. Days in the 70's and frequent enough rain will do that.

And I love when someone living at 1,300 to 2,000 feet considers that something special...

You do realize that Denver, as a city, is at least 2.5K to 3K higher right? You realize that 2K really isn't that high? I don't know, maybe it is just that out here it seems like a lot, but being from Southern California where you are surrounded by mountains that are 5K to 7K+ high the elevation of 2K seems like a foothill...:whistle:

I have an extensive background in mountaineering. I understand elevation very well as my life has often depended on it. Thanks for the enlightening post about growing up in southern California. I prefer Northern California myself. I've enjoyed skiing/climbing on Mt. Shasta as well as the smaller peaks (9k) just to the west. Obviously here on the east coast the elevation game plays out a little differently but it's still quite important. I'll take my elevation over the coastal plain any day.

5-6. I like a little more as I don't want to skimp come March. Unfortuantley, I only have about 5 that's seasoned and may need to buy the last--the horror.

we burn around 5 cords as well...the guy we buy from was having an early season sale, you we got 5 cords at $250each, and that included the wood being stacked for us...

we burn around 5 cords as well...the guy we buy from was having an early season sale, you we got 5 cords at $250each, and that included the wood being stacked for us...

Cool. I'd hate to tally the cost of my wood. I have to figure how much we paid to buy this place, the purchase of saws/splitter, a year's worth of sporadic work and lots of sweat......

I think you got the better deal, Diane. :)

fair enough.

if they think fall is showing itself on 8/9...that's fine and it very well could be. i don't live there so i can't speak for the area.

imo, it's no different than saying you can sense spring in the first week or so of february because the snow is melting off the road a bit better than it does at the end of december. is it true? sure i suppose. is it really representative of the time of year? not in my eyes.

Doesn't Spring on CC begin the first week of Feb, seems that way :lol:

The differences between natures transition from summer to fall and the transition from Winter to spring seem to be more obvious due to the tremendous amount of signals indicating nature is prepping for winter. Freshwater and Saltwater fish begin feeding more heavily in the next week, vegetation begins shredding it's nuts, fruits and bounties we harvest. Probably all light related but even today this stratiform rain which is not seen in satans summer doldrums is a subtle hint the change has begun. When the first weeks of Feb have past it is easy to feel that the worst of winter is over, higher sun does that. Not saying we do not have torch conditions from here on out or savaging winter storms after the second week of Feb.but rather saying nature knows the seasons days are numbered.If we did not have calendars those in tune would know yes indeed the next couple of week is the time to harvest the corn, cut the wood and get ready. The days pass quickly, it has been a couple of decades since we had a brutal cold belly to belly fall and winter, best to be ready early if your rural living depends on self sufficiency .

No selling needed, Scott. It must be that becasue we have so many trees out here we just have a whole lot more that are stressed. But, stressed or not, the colors are beginning to appear. Keep in mind, we are not talking of leaf peeping season here. We're talking about the visible signs that summer's time is short.

I'll vouch for that up here... but its not even close and I wouldn't even want to try and imply that the leaves are actually changing colors. They just have lost that "lush, full green" look and now they are fainter green with very faint yellow tint. I think its more from stress and lack of recent rain though. Of course they aren't going to have that tropical green look they had after our record breaking April-June rainfall (at least up here).

They are more just feeling the summer's heat and recent relatively dry weather. Whatever it is though, you can notice a subtle difference across the landscapes from a few weeks ago. Also the fields have that high golden hay look after a whole summer's worth of growing that sort of gives a more fall appearance. Granted though, I certainly wouldn't try to spin it that fall is upon us or anything like that, haha. It looks like August out there to me... lol.

The differences between natures transition from summer to fall and the transition from Winter to spring seem to be more obvious due to the tremendous amount of signals indicating nature is prepping for winter. Freshwater and Saltwater fish begin feeding more heavily in the next week, vegetation begins shredding it's nuts, fruits and bounties we harvest. Probably all light related but even today this stratiform rain which is not seen in satans summer doldrums is a subtle hint the change has begun. When the first weeks of Feb have past it is easy to feel that the worst of winter is over, higher sun does that. Not saying we do not have torch conditions from here on out or savaging winter storms after the second week of Feb.but rather saying nature knows the seasons days are numbered.If we did not have calendars those in tune would know yes indeed the next couple of week is the time to harvest the corn, cut the wood and get ready. The days pass quickly, it has been a couple of decades since we had a brutal cold belly to belly fall and winter, best to be ready early if your rural living depends on self sufficiency .

Yep. All I said was it's starting to look like late summer. Signs of change are everywhere, you don't even need to look hard.

I disagree. This is the time where there is a dfinite 'shift' in the colors. Again, we're not talking foliage season. But, the greens become less lush and the first hints of the upcoming fall and summer's upcoming demise are apparent. At least that's the case out here.

I really think its just the classic August look and its from several consecutive months of positive departures relative to normal. Its the leaves' way of responding to long duration warmer and drier conditions than they are used to. I'm not saying its been hot per se, but every single station has a positive departure in temperatures so far this summer... even Mt Mansfield summit and Mt Washington. So Pete may say its "not hot", its all relative to those tree species who are probably used to temperatures slightly cooler in the summer and with slightly more water.

We could even see a resurgence of green if we got 2 weeks of cool, rainy weather.

I really think its just the classic August look and its from several consecutive months of positive departures relative to normal. Its the leaves' way of responding to long duration warmer and drier conditions than they are used to. I'm not saying its been hot per se, but every single station has a positive departure in temperatures so far this summer... even Mt Mansfield summit and Mt Washington. So Pete may say its "not hot", its all relative to those tree species who are probably used to temperatures slightly cooler in the summer and with slightly more water.

We could even see a resurgence of green if we got 2 weeks of cool, rainy weather.

The trees do this at this time every year. Sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later. We have not seen drought conditions here, rainfall has been decent. In fact, it's raining again now.lol

You guys are in tune pretty good with your area. Signs of a change as the rapid growth season ends, folks doubting you obviously have not spent years in your habitat. The subtle signs appear at your locations, being in tune in rural areas is passed down in generations, urbanites lose that feel.

Growing season has at least another 4-6 weeks, even in God's Country.

Average end of growing season at Saranac Lake, NY is September 7th, and Lake Placid is September 14th... most other stations in the 'Dacks and Greens are mid-late September around the 20th. I would assume the average end of the growing season down there would be climatologically later than the iceboxes in the Adirondacks and far NE VT... if that's the case, there's another 6 weeks till a hard <32F freeze to end the growing season.

Archived