wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Dog days continue, summer days those summer nights

Ginx snewx

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trees do this at this time every year. Sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a little later. We have not seen drought conditions here, rainfall has been decent. In fact, it's raining again now.lol

What are your departures from normal in terms of precipitation? We aren't having drought conditions either (I don't think anyone has) but I bet the last 60 days have been below normal in terms of rainfall. Its raining here too and has been often, but that doesn't change the fact that we are running a little deficit over the past 6 weeks. The trees have definitely been dealing with above normal temperatures though...I'm not talking about what it feels like, I'm just stating stats relative to normal because that is what the local vegetation is responding too... not relative to the coastal plain or any other location.

-PDO/Nina falls sometimes are warm.

Obviously the NAO will have a say, as a -NAO would tend to keep it cool.

The NAO has very little influence on our temps in September anyway. We start feeling its influence in October. I think we want a cold October, but I could see us having a torch September and maybe lasting into part of October before it flips. I remember 2008 was fairly mild the first half of October and then it got really cold and we had a cold November as well.

Growing season has at least another 4-6 weeks, even in God's Country.

Average end of growing season at Saranac Lake, NY is September 7th, and Lake Placid is September 14th... most other stations in the 'Dacks and Greens are mid-late September around the 20th. I would assume the average end of the growing season down there would be climatologically later than the iceboxes in the Adirondacks and far NE VT... if that's the case, there's another 6 weeks till a hard <32F freeze to end the growing season.

Misunderstood, rapid growth is not the end of growing season just the maximum daily spurts are less, cut the high weeds, grass brush in July and it will grow as high, cut it this week and it will only grow half as high.

The NAO has very little influence on our temps in September anyway. We start feeling its influence in October. I think we want a cold October, but I could see us having a torch September and maybe lasting into part of October before it flips. I remember 2008 was fairly mild the first half of October and then it got really cold and we had a cold November as well.

According to Grandpa fall does not begin until Sept 21st.

According to Grandpa fall does not begin until Sept 21st.

Well being a meteorologist, we tend to use the met calendar and not the astronomical calendar. Though for our area, you can even tweak that...our latitude makes March more of a winter month than spring.

What are your departures from normal in terms of precipitation? We aren't having drought conditions either (I don't think anyone has) but I bet the last 60 days have been below normal in terms of rainfall. Its raining here too and has been often, but that doesn't change the fact that we are running a little deficit over the past 6 weeks. The trees have definitely been dealing with above normal temperatures though...I'm not talking about what it feels like, I'm just stating stats relative to normal because that is what the local vegetation is responding too... not relative to the coastal plain or any other location.

Don't know. I do know we've had to do very little watering this summer. Our golf course has seen a noticeable reduction in operating costs due to the lack of watering we've needed. Not to say that there has been no watering just not very much. If anything I think the overnight lows are what have been running warmer than normal. I see this summer as having been about as quintessential as they come. A few days of high heat (2 days 90+), some 80's and a lot of 70's. Other than the extremely wet and cool June I would guess both temp and precip fall within standard deviations. Nothing remotely extreme. My bet is that the balance of August remains tepid with a last hurrah for hhh weather coming around Labor Day. The first frost will be hot on the heels of the finale. I'm going with Sept 14th as the first frost here at the house. Just a typical ho hum NE summer.

The entire fam climbed Tuckerman's to Lions' Head to the Summit of MTW. Started at Pinkham Notch. Amazing will power in my 2 daughters. Fols couldn't believe we had them up on that steep terrain and were so impressed they were out there doing it. There was some whining and crying..but very porud of them. They climbed 4,000 vertical feet. And those of you that have hiked it..know how dangerous it is.

Nice day overall up here..It was warm at the top.. It was in the 50's and I was fine in a t shirt and shorts.

Looks like most of the rain up here is overnight and maybe a storm tomorrow.

The entire fam climbed Tuckerman's to Lions' Head to the Summit of MTW. Started at Pinkham Notch. Amazing will power in my 2 daughters. Fols couldn't believe we had them up on that steep terrain and were so impressed they were out there doing it. There was some whining and crying..but very porud of them. They climbed 4,000 vertical feet. And those of you that have hiked it..know how dangerous it is.

Nice day overall up here..It was warm at the top.. It was in the 50's and I was fine in a t shirt and shorts.

Looks like most of the rain up here is overnight and maybe a storm tomorrow.

Impressive, my wife did it with my son in law, I took the Cog up and waited for them. Great life experience you gave them.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. If the NAO has a say, it might be more October/November...but I suppose it could have a say in September if it's really strong. If anything, it might be more that it keeps troughing ans storminess around to help keep temps down during September, rather than actually driving cold air south like it would in October and especially November.

Really?, my 2 fav season, big fish everywhere, baseball playoffs, football, cool nights, low energy bills, tourists gone.

I just can't stand the loss of light. Work, already intense ramps up further. I used to fish but of late I do nothing to consciously stake the life of an animal of any kind. It can be tough to find food choices but I'm managing and learning how to. In the words of Tevya when he visited Lazar Wolf the butcher..."all this killing innocent animals?

I just can't stand the loss of light. Work, already intense ramps up further. I used to fish but of late I do nothing to consciously stake the life of an animal of any kind. It can be tough to find food choices but I'm managing and learning how to. In the words of Tevya when he visited Lazar Wolf the butcher..."all this killing innocent animals?

Venison and Buffalo are my favs. Wildlife mgmt classes taught me a lot about population crashes, mgmt of species is not a bad thing for the masses, overpopulation leads to mass extinction from disease. Ribs and backstraps yum.

Venison and Buffalo are my favs. Wildlife mgmt classes taught me a lot about population crashes, mgmt of species is not a bad thing for the masses, overpopulation leads to mass extinction from disease. Ribs and backstraps yum.

Management of species is code for killing. That's my view and it's not popular. Most of the animal flesh you eat may have come from animals raised inhumanely. Even if raised humanely, I can't any longer bring myself to have an animal come into the prime of it's life and slaughter it. I can make different dietary choices even if I must give up what I like.

Management of species is code for killing. That's my view and it's not popular. Most of the animal flesh you eat may have come from animals raised inhumanely. Even if raised humanely, I can't any longer bring myself to have an animal come into the prime of it's life and slaughter it. I can make different dietary choices even if I must give up what I like.

It's in our blood. We've hunted and killed many an animal since we rose from Apes...but if it's the way some of them are raised..I understand your point.

I understand your view totally. Your choice. Are you vegan? The other issue is clothes, shampoos, drugs, etc made by the killing testing of animals.

Well I was wrong about NNE getting a soaking...though they could still get heavy rain, but the strong lower level convergence and frontogenesis is squeezing out the big rains in SNE right now. Strong 950-850mb LLJ as well. 12Z NAM had this too. The other area is more with the s/w up near BTW and CYUL(Montreal).

Archived