• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Dog days continue, summer days those summer nights

Ginx snewx

Glad you said it. I noticed a few of the maples on the property have some swatches of color and as you say the early summer green is fading into the late season golden green. Love when people from outside the highlands tell us what we are experiencing.lol

And I love when someone living at 1,300 to 2,000 feet considers that something special...

You do realize that Denver, as a city, is at least 2.5K to 3K higher right? You realize that 2K really isn't that high? I don't know, maybe it is just that out here it seems like a lot, but being from Southern California where you are surrounded by mountains that are 5K to 7K+ high the elevation of 2K seems like a foothill...:whistle:

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z euro is pretty active looking for august. fast flow and persistent eastern trough through the first 7 days of the run. 2 good rain makers in there (today/tonight and again sun/mon). almost looks fall/winter-ish with numerous sw riding SE/E/NE in the flow

Yeah it does. Look at the precip pattern progged for later Sunday and Monday. Almost like a TROWAL over NNE. Nice to see.

Glad you said it. I noticed a few of the maples on the property have some swatches of color and as you say the early summer green is fading into the late season golden green. Love when people from outside the highlands tell us what we are experiencing.lol

laugh.gif

Now you're trying to sound like Kevin with the salesman pitch of Fall approaching the Berks. Those trees are obviously stressed...lol.

12z euro is pretty active looking for august. fast flow and persistent eastern trough through the first 7 days of the run. 2 good rain makers in there (today/tonight and again sun/mon). almost looks fall/winter-ish with numerous sw riding SE/E/NE in the flow

Miller B's up the azz.:thumbsup:

Don't know what's going to allow it to dig that much but hey, we'll see.

laugh.gif

Now you're trying to sound like Kevin with the salesman pitch of Fall approaching the Berks. Those trees are obviously stressed...lol.

No selling needed, Scott. It must be that becasue we have so many trees out here we just have a whole lot more that are stressed. But, stressed or not, the colors are beginning to appear. Keep in mind, we are not talking of leaf peeping season here. We're talking about the visible signs that summer's time is short.

73.9/68, still waiting on the rain. I told my wife not to water anything becasue we'll get a good soaking. I've just doomed myself to missing the rain again. :)

No selling needed, Scott. It must be that becasue we have so many trees out here we just have a whole lot more that are stressed. But, stressed or not, the colors are beginning to appear. Keep in mind, we are not talking of leaf peeping season here. We're talking about the visible signs that summer's time is short.

73.9/68, still waiting on the rain. I told my wife not to water anything becasue we'll get a good soaking. I've just doomed myself to missing the rain again. :)

I've seen some stressed trees here as well, but mostly on rocky hillsides where the water cannot soak into the ground, and therefore lack of water causes the tree to turn.

My point is that it's August 9th and any tree that has colors is because of some sort of stress, not because of cooler wx coming in, or the shortening of daylight. It's just way too early for that.

No one told you what you were experiencing. I simply asked a question. I had no idea trees start changing colors in early August in Massachusetts. They won't start changing here for another six weeks. And, it's not that I don't see things in nature as you put it. I just don't try to over-analyze the shades of green of leaves to feel closer to the next season; a calendar provides a more useful dose of reality.

I've seen some stressed trees here as well, but mostly on rocky hillsides where the water cannot soak into the ground, and therefore lack of water causes the tree to turn.

My point is that it's August 9th and any tree that has colors is because of some sort of stress, not because of cooler wx coming in, or the shortening of daylight. It's just way too early for that.

I disagree. This is the time where there is a dfinite 'shift' in the colors. Again, we're not talking foliage season. But, the greens become less lush and the first hints of the upcoming fall and summer's upcoming demise are apparent. At least that's the case out here.

I disagree. This is the time where there is a dfinite 'shift' in the colors. Again, we're not talking foliage season. But, the greens become less lush and the first hints of the upcoming fall and summer's upcoming demise are apparent. At least that's the case out here.

I see some of the more dull colors too. That happens later in the summer, I agree.

But, any yellows or reds or orange or what have you, are because of stress. However, if you want to say the stressed trees are a sign of us moving towards the end of summer, then by all means. But even trees on the side of MWN are still green. Even in God's country....nature is still in Summer mode. We're aren't even at mid August yet....lol.

I see some of the more dull colors too. That happens later in the summer, I agree.

But, any yellows or reds or orange or what have you, are because of stress. However, if you want to say the stressed trees are a sign of us moving towards the end of summer, then by all means. But even trees on the side of MWN are still green. Even in God's country....nature is still in Summer mode. We're aren't even at mid August yet....lol.

I don't believe we are in disagreement. And, I suspect Pete would concur with that, but I'll let him speak for himself.

Meanwhile, I have some raindrops. Whoo-hoo!

73.6/67

No one told you what you were experiencing. I simply asked a question. I had no idea trees start changing colors in early August in Massachusetts. They won't start changing here for another six weeks. And, it's not that I don't see things in nature as you put it. I just don't try to over-analyze the shades of green of leaves to feel closer to the next season; a calendar provides a more useful dose of reality.

Yeah, we have a few maples that have definitely shown a "little" color, which is pretty normal for mid August. I made a post about it a few days ago actually. At least here, nothing special or noticable..but it's there if you look.

You guys are in tune pretty good with your area. Signs of a change as the rapid growth season ends, folks doubting you obviously have not spent years in your habitat. The subtle signs appear at your locations, being in tune in rural areas is passed down in generations, urbanites lose that feel.

BS. You know that there have already been 3 hard freezes in GC and every tree is leafless. In fact I hear some weenie flakes are possible tonight.

Less then two weeks until the first freeze for you, right? 8/22?

Oh wait, in reality, it will probably be in the 60s the morning of 8/22. sun.gif

Oh wait, in reality, it will probably be in the 60s the morning of 8/22. sun.gif

Probably not....low-mid 50s for his area. Normal lows start dropping rapidly in the elevations at this time of year.

Having grown up spending summers in the Poconos, I don't usually color on leaves until a bit later, usually the end of August.

probably some flakes in them hills in the next week or so by the sounds of this thread. better start collecting the firewood and stocking up on food and supplies.

You posted how Loon looked last week, subtle hints

BS. You know that there have already been 3 hard freezes in GC and every tree is leafless. In fact I hear some weenie flakes are possible tonight.

Dry slot for NH

I can remember camping in the Berks in late August and freezing my balls off, have you ever been outside other than the blue bus?

You posted how Loon looked last week, subtle hints

yeah i said some of the stressed trees had hints of yellow. but my point was, and i think scott kind of hit on it during that conversation, is that it's always different up there. doesn't matter what season. it's NNH...not C MA. that was the point. as you head 3 hours north of this latitude...it's just another world. the vegetation, the sun angle, the smell...everything.

i understand what those guys are saying, and i'm not saying they aren't being truthful...but i'm calling a spin a spin here. same way kevin or drunkinfairfield will tell you a +3F departure is a god awful torch, i'm going to laugh when someone says it's starting to look like Fall. LOL.

yeah i said some of the stressed trees had hints of yellow. but my point was, and i think scott kind of hit on it during that conversation, is that it's always different up there. doesn't matter what season. it's NNH...not C MA. that was the point. as you head 3 hours north of this latitude...it's just another world. the vegetation, the sun angle, the smell...everything.

i understand what those guys are saying, and i'm not saying they aren't being truthful...but i'm calling a spin a spin here. same way kevin or drunkinfairfield will tell you a +3F departure is a god awful torch, i'm going to laugh when someone says it's starting to look like Fall. LOL.

I certainly noticed a few stressed trees up N last week but to say it's the subtle change of seasons is a stretch, imo.

That's not what they said though, they were just stating the signs of impending fall were showing.

That's not what they said though, they were just stating the signs of impending fall were showing.

fair enough.

if they think fall is showing itself on 8/9...that's fine and it very well could be. i don't live there so i can't speak for the area.

imo, it's no different than saying you can sense spring in the first week or so of february because the snow is melting off the road a bit better than it does at the end of december. is it true? sure i suppose. is it really representative of the time of year? not in my eyes.

Archived