joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dog days continue, summer days those summer nights

Ginx snewx

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You called this....you were warning me of a swampy August.

It will alleviate a little bit tomorrow, but we'll have to wait until late week to get the cooler air here.

It's not that this August will be swampass the whole time, but I've always felt August can have the worst humidity. If you think about it...it makes sense. SST's from the Gulf to off New England are almost at their warmest. To me, August isn't know for the extremely high temps, but rather those days that can be like 88/74 or something like that.

It will alleviate a little bit tomorrow, but we'll have to wait until late week to get the cooler air here.

It's not that this August will be swampass the whole time, but I've always felt August can have the worst humidity. If you think about it...it makes sense. SST's from the Gulf to off New England are almost at their warmest. To me, August isn't know for the extremely high temps, but rather those days that can be like 88/74 or something like that.

True that.

Some of the old timers I know would poor a little gas on the rash, they swore it got rid of it quickly, I wouldn't do that.

It was very interesting to hear that, and as is often the case, the old timers had it right. This is off topic, but hopefully it will be useful and informative. The gas isn’t going to stop what’s already gotten into your system, but what it will do is wash off any of the compound (urushiol) that is still on your skin, or whatever else (steering wheel, clothing, etc) it got onto, and thus prevent further compound from getting in and propagating the allergic process. If you got to it quickly enough, gas would probably do a beautiful job of preventing the whole process. Urushiol is an oil, and as we all know, oil and water don’t mix, so simple, water-based applications will do a poor job of solubilizing urushiol and getting rid of it. But gas is really hydrophobic; it’s basically just a mixture of hydrocarbons. You can see in the structure of urushiol below that those R groups are very hydrophobic, and they should mix beautifully with gas. Like Pete, I wouldn’t recommend using gas due to its various other detrimental effects, but another more innocuous solvent that really seems to work well is isopropanol (alcohols have enough hydrophobic character to solubilize the urushiol oil), and most people will have this around the house in the form of rubbing alcohol. A guy I used to know had very bad reactivity to poison ivy, and his doctor told him to use rubbing alcohol to wash off the oil. He passed that wisdom on to me, and I use rubbing alcohol all the time now for this purpose. Generally it’s just in case, but after having poison ivy pester me for a few weeks one summer, I say better safe than sorry. Last week on one mountain bike outing I spent a lot of time going through a bunch of unknown flora, and I hit my legs with the isopropanol as soon as I got home, just in case. Soap and water is also supposed to work OK for removing the urushiol, but since there are so many different kinds of soap that may vary in their effectiveness, I like to stick with the isopropanol. Wikipedia has great articles on the poison ivy itself (including in-depth information on how to I.D. the plant(s)), and the cause of the rash. Check out all the mnemonics for plant identification, number 10 is: "If it's got hair, it won't be fair.", which one could envision causing a chuckle on this forum.

urushiol.jpg

hell of a season down there...how many SVR warnings have they had? lol

not sure of the number but we've had several goes at it this season. might be too anecdotal but it seems to go that way...we either get virtually nothing or have a decent season.

i bet that's a picturesque storm heading over the island right now.

seems to continue, in general...for a while too. fairly active.

I like it. Makes for some excitement.

What a chaotic sky today. It looked like MIA with these TCU forming. We had almost a pseudo shelf cloud with that first shower that came through. I got caught in downtown BOS with that. Now, the sky darkens again with more TCU. Cell to the north is quite visible. Pretty unstable out there.

I like it. Makes for some excitement.

What a chaotic sky today. It looked like MIA with these TCU forming. We had almost a pseudo shelf cloud with that first shower that came through. I got caught in downtown BOS with that. Now, the sky darkens again with more TCU. Cell to the north is quite visible. Pretty unstable out there.

High CAPE/low shear environment with boundaries all over the place!

Took this pic outside the office as the second storm rolled through...

post-1711-0-55705400-1312836413.jpg

Archived