wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Dog days continue, summer days those summer nights

Ginx snewx

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see, sunday was 100% chance of rain here and nothing. Yesterday was 70% chance of rain, nothing. Today and tonight are 60%, 90%. I'm not real confident.

You'll get a shot of rain. You might not jackpot, but I think a decent drink of water is at hand.

It's hard to forecast widespread rain here in the summer. Things are very different, unlike the Fall-Spring period. Much of the rain is convective and due to areas of convergence, unlike the winter which can feature large scale synoptic lift and overrunning. So when models pinpoint areas of heavy rain, sometimes they end up 50-100 miles from where they were progged..even 24 hours out.

Have they reopened the Tuckerman's Ravine trail yet? I read that it was closed for a few weeks for trail repair. One of my favorite places. Enjoy!!!

Hiking Tucekerman's today to MTW. Should be a great day for it with no clouds. Tomorrow looks kind of MHE..but Thurs/Fri look great. Def lucked out up here this week. Canoed the Saco yesterday under sunny skies and temps in the mid-upper 80's

I think the NAO has a very tough time getting to neutral over the next two weeks. CPC NAO progs barely get it above 0, and the EC progs never even get it to 0, and have it stay in the negative territory the whole time. It get more or less neutral next week, thanks to the vortex near Greenland, but after that weak ridging takes over near Greenland and the Davis Straits. They'll be farming in Greenland if this keeps up, like they did 600 years ago.

This says it all. It's even below the 14 day ensembles members depicting the lowest value of the NAO. That's quite impressive for that to happen.

post-33-0-19974500-1312894014.gif

You'll get a shot of rain. You might not jackpot, but I think a decent drink of water is at hand.

It's hard to forecast widespread rain here in the summer. Things are very different, unlike the Fall-Spring period. Much of the rain is convective and due to areas of convergence, unlike the winter which can feature large scale synoptic lift and overrunning. So when models pinpoint areas of heavy rain, sometimes they end up 50-100 miles from where they were progged..even 24 hours out.

I guess this week was a prime example of that. P/C is for .75-1.00 tonight.

Have they reopened the Tuckerman's Ravine trail yet? I read that it was closed for a few weeks for trail repair. One of my favorite places. Enjoy!!!

They were detouring people around the headwall. They were repairing a portion of the trail that had become overgrown and was causing people to come closer to the edge causing more injuries/deaths than otherwise would occur. It's sensitive vegetation so thy are taking great care in preserving it.

Yeah I think it's further north this time around. Probably something where we get an arc of precip with sct heavier elements in it, but overall not a ton of rain basin wide.

Kevin should see some great waterfalls coming out in the notches, spectacular flash floods up there in summer squalls. A very cool sight to see.

Kevin should see some great waterfalls coming out in the notches, spectacular flash floods up there in summer squalls. A very cool sight to see.

They could get soaked up there.

This isn't really a setup to give SNE heavy rain..especially eastern areas, but some heavier convective elements could be around.

It's possible a second max could happen near a weak secondary, like the NAM shows. We'll have to see.

Amazing how we have to use nowcast so much in the summer, models just can not be that exact for all the reasons you stated before. I did not get a drop of rain yesterday while you watched as the freeways and underpasses filled up with debris 42d4d0af-60d6-afb6.jpg

Very true Pete

ORH +2.6

BDL +2.8

BDR +3.8

After historic heat in July, August has been very warm and well above normal.

Lol. Whatever, presently eating lunch lakeside with the temp at 72. Nice breeze makes it feel even cooler. Cloud deck lowering and thickening with rain getting set to move in. No heat through mid month. The highlands now taking on that late summer look. It won't be long now.

Lol. Whatever, presently eating lunch lakeside with the temp at 72. Nice breeze makes it feel even cooler. Cloud deck lowering and thickening with rain getting set to move in. No heat through mid month. The highlands now taking on that late summer look. It won't be long now.

What exactly is the "late summer look?" You mean the shorter days? That's really the only discernible difference between early July and early August.

What exactly is the "late summer look?" You mean the shorter days? That's really the only discernible difference between early July and early August.

No, it's the early turning of the leaves. I was noticing it this afternoon on the way back to the dump. Green's beginning to fade into yellow's. This is the time of year you get the first vestiges of it in GC.

74.6/67

When does Kevin usually return to cold hype? September 1st? I think September 1st through April 1st was the cold hype season, but not sure of exact dates.

I think I remember him saying the other day that he said he wears shorts well into October.

Wrong. Obviously you don't live in the highlands or spend much time observing nature.The leaves are leathery, the meadows are sporting mature late season grass, the early migrators are already on the move, spring fawns have lost there spots. I could go on. Perhaps where you. Live it's tough to see things, here, thankfully, nature is part of everyday life.

No, it's the early turning of the leaves. I was noticing it this afternoon on the way back to the dump. Green's beginning to fade into yellow's. This is the time of year you get the first vestiges of it in GC.

74.6/67

Glad you said it. I noticed a few of the maples on the property have some swatches of color and as you say the early summer green is fading into the late season golden green. Love when people from outside the highlands tell us what we are experiencing.lol

Archived