Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July Obs. Part 2

LithiaWx

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am seriously beginning to think that Union County, NC has some kind of dome around it preventing any rain from faling. It has been over 2 weeks since my last rainfall, and even that was a small amount. What gives?! gun_bandana.gifthumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I got one of those installed ten years ago. It has rarely failed me.

I was just sitting on my front steps when a copperhead came slithering by within a few feet of me. I've been here 12 years and it is the first poisonous snake I've seen. And this only two weeks after coming within inches of thumping a huge, big southern black widow spider, which I've never seen one of in my life! What the heck is going on? Weather, or coincidence? Or is it 2012 approaching, and the ancient Maya are out to get me? T

I was just sitting on my front steps when a copperhead came slithering by within a few feet of me. I've been here 12 years and it is the first poisonous snake I've seen. And this only two weeks after coming within inches of thumping a huge, big southern black widow spider, which I've never seen one of in my life! What the heck is going on? Weather, or coincidence? Or is it 2012 approaching, and the ancient Maya are out to get me? T

lol - i have seen quite a few black widow spiders lately. i hate spiders - and poisonous ones are even worse. snakes are ok, but not copper heads! i know they are all over the place, but i rarely see them in person (which is fine by me). although had to get rid of a 3' rattlesnake on the front steps three years ago. last poisonous snake was probably about 2 years ago (cotton mouth. and it was big slithering by a creek)

80% rain chance per FFC for Monday, PLEASE rain here!

i am jealous!! only 50% here. not that that means anything. a few weeks ago had 5 days in a row of 70% and nothing. sigh :unsure:

Yikes! I've seen two copperheads in the last 3 weeks while jogging on the big creek greenway in alpharetta.

Also I've seen 3 timber rattle snakes in the last three years up here in the mountains. Went the first 37 years of my life never having seen one in person and now 3 in 3 years.

Somethings going on man.....

I was cleaning some brush out a month ago picked up a bundle looked down and a snake was coiled up ready to strike. I suck at identifying snakes so no idea what it was, I went for the shovel and my fiance took a stick and shooed it away. I was a tad ticked lol. You guys just gave me the creeps, Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, Black Widows. Very nice guys I doubt I sleep well tonight....

I've heard the sound of thunder every day for quite a spell now, but no luck getting rain IMBY. Sitting on a total of .26" since July 7 at my house. Daily highs have exceeded 95 degrees on 14 out of 24 days in July, and exceeded 100 degrees four days in a row (20th-23rd). I don't remember anything like this in the Carolina of my youth, but I wasn't keeping records then.

So far today I've missed three storms by just a couple of miles from the house with the third ongoing right now in the northern part of the county. There are numerous storms in Kentucky but I wouldn't bet on them making it here the way it has been. By reading a lot of y'all posts it seems like I'm not the only one. :lol:

Finally got hit today by two storms after being missed Friday and Saturday. Picked up a half of an inch total. Brings me up to over three inches for the month of July. That is really good because I only had 1.25 inches in June. Hoping to add some more rain tomorrow. Looks like it may be kind of wet, according to the models. Hopefully it will pan out like the models are saying.

I've heard the sound of thunder every day for quite a spell now, but no luck getting rain IMBY. Sitting on a total of .26" since July 7 at my house. Daily highs have exceeded 95 degrees on 14 out of 24 days in July, and exceeded 100 degrees four days in a row (20th-23rd). I don't remember anything like this in the Carolina of my youth, but I wasn't keeping records then.

We keep getting these hot and dry Summers lately. I think many of the top 10 hottest Summers around here have occurred pretty recently. The same thing causing our drought is also affecting temps, so its a feed back cycle. The bottom line on why we can't get cooler and rainier is that the Southeast just can't get into a southerly or southwest flow for any length of time. It happened a little last August, but usually those traditional flows , which are the climo flow according to the NCDC maps I've looked at, are a thing of the past . And has been for a long time now. Big ridges in the Plains are bad news for us in the Summer time, and when they expand east if just makes us even drier/hotter.

I just had a surprise shower. I don't have a rain gauge, as my property heavily wooded and any totals I post would be not accurate. Any wind and the rain will hit some trees in the distance before my rain gauge so they would be contaminated totals. Regardless it was a light shower that I will take with a big smile. FFC is very bullish on rain tomorrow and I can see why. They have me at 70% chance and by looking back into AL and MS it is very evident what is coming for tomorrow. Bring on the good rains, I can't wait for a good one tomorrow. My chances are looking pretty good! We need the rain here badly, even with showers the last couple days the grass is not responding. It is getting pretty bad around here again. I fear unless we get some type of tropical system or into a better pattern the pain is going to continue. These short lived showers while nice don't cut it in terms of drought busting.

Got home today to see that I've had no rain, got up to 97 today here at the house. Trip to the mountains proved to be rather hot with a slightly lower humidity. Had an interesting experience in a thunderstorm while driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lightning struck a tree about 20-30 yards away from the car (maybe less than that.) It lit the tree up a bright orange, the bolt was so vividly bright it was insane. Never seen anything like that, scary at a first but was pretty amazing.

I just had a surprise shower. I don't have a rain gauge, as my property heavily wooded and any totals I post would be not accurate. Any wind and the rain will hit some trees in the distance before my rain gauge so they would be contaminated totals. Regardless it was a light shower that I will take with a big smile. FFC is very bullish on rain tomorrow and I can see why. They have me at 70% chance and by looking back into AL and MS it is very evident what is coming for tomorrow. Bring on the good rains, I can't wait for a good one tomorrow. My chances are looking pretty good! We need the rain here badly, even with showers the last couple days the grass is not responding. It is getting pretty bad around here again. I fear unless we get some type of tropical system or into a better pattern the pain is going to continue. These short lived showers while nice don't cut it in terms of drought busting.

I saw that little one pop and was wondering if you got anything from it. Glad to hear you did! I too am rooting for rain tomorrow. Hoping I can get 1" in 1 day!

Got home today to see that I've had no rain, got up to 97 today here at the house. Trip to the mountains proved to be rather hot with a slightly lower humidity. Had an interesting experience in a thunderstorm while driving down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lightning struck a tree about 20-30 yards away from the car (maybe less than that.) It lit the tree up a bright orange, the bolt was so vividly bright it was insane. Never seen anything like that, scary at a first but was pretty amazing.

I was in Fancy Gap for lunch and saw the storms building up. A lot of lightning a far off

Could a weak upper low stall over Ga/SC the next few days? The GFS has had several runs where it does this, and at first I thought its wrong, since its not being consistent, but last nights ECMWF also was similar, just not as high of rain totals. The RH fields matched pretty closely though. After todays front goes through , a weak 850 low forms around CAE and moisture banks into north GA and most of NC, and northern 2/3 of SC. Off runs of GFS have been showing this a few days now, we'll see if the 12Z is similar. I'm not getting hopes up yet, usually these fronts push further south than shown, but I will say the GFS is pretty good with subtle features, and now that Euro is catching on its raises an eyebrow. Both models nixed the late week heatwave here, went from 100 down to mid 80's ...which would be nice.

post-38-0-86806000-1311595334.gif

post-38-0-37447400-1311595214.gif

post-38-0-87786900-1311595222.gif

post-38-0-47612000-1311595259.gif

Could a weak upper low stall over Ga/SC the next few days? The GFS has had several runs where it does this, and at first I thought its wrong, since its not being consistent, but last nights ECMWF also was similar, just not as high of rain totals. The RH fields matched pretty closely though. After todays front goes through , a weak 850 low forms around CAE and moisture banks into north GA and most of NC, and northern 2/3 of SC. Off runs of GFS have been showing this a few days now, we'll see if the 12Z is similar. I'm not getting hopes up yet, usually these fronts push further south than shown, but I will say the GFS is pretty good with subtle features, and now that Euro is catching on its raises an eyebrow. Both models nixed the late week heatwave here, went from 100 down to mid 80's ...which would be nice.

post-38-0-86806000-1311595334.gif

post-38-0-37447400-1311595214.gif

post-38-0-87786900-1311595222.gif

post-38-0-47612000-1311595259.gif

I'm only at 1.75 for the month so this would be especially nice.

The GFS in it's extended range has temps for many area of the southeast in an extended upper 90's pattern. In the mean time it has north Georgia in a low 90's setup. This summer is getting very, very old. I'm going to post stats from Atlanta today on exactly how hot it has been in terms of 90+ days. I promise it won't disappoint.

2011 through 7/24/11

90 + Heat

May - 6

June - 24

July - 20

Total - 50

of those 90+ days here are the ones that went 95+

May - 0

June - 3

July - 3

Total - 6

2010 through 7/24

90+

May - 2

June - 19

July - 15

Total - 36

of those 90+ days here are the ones that went 95+

May - 0

June - 2

July - 4

Total - 6

2009 - through 7/24

days of 90+ heat

May - 0

June - 15

July - 5

Total - 20

of those 90+ days, ones that went 95+

May - 0

June - 2

July - 1

Total - 3

Atlanta is blowing the last two summers away in terms of 90+ heat, very old with no end in sight.

They keep bumping back in time our 60% chance of storms.... it started out this morning with "mainly after 7AM", then after 1, then after 3PM. Now we're at a 20% chance for the afternoon, and 60% pushed back to "likely, mainly between 9pm and 1am." As long as we get something to lower the deficit, it's all good, I guess.

Archived