• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July Obs. Part 2

LithiaWx

The ones that did pop up today were VERY tiny so you did luck out. Congrats. I kept my streak of below 90 highs alive at 9 straight days. High was 89.9 IMBY. LOL July this year is running .6 degrees colder than my July of 2010. Go figure that.:arrowhead:

So far I think this Summer is cooler than last years for me. Last year was consistently in the upper 90's (and nowhere near as humid as this one). This year I've managed mid 90's only a few times, but more often stay in the 90 and less category. The location of the surface and upper ridging, surface winds, and wet grounds have made the difference. Its actually feeling worse than last year because of all the humidity and HI of 100+ now.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I think this Summer is cooler than last years for me. Last year was consistently in the upper 90's (and nowhere near as humid as this one). This year I've managed mid 90's only a few times, but more often stay in the 90 and less category. The location of the surface and upper ridging, surface winds, and wet grounds have made the difference. Its actually feeling worse than last year because of all the humidity and HI of 100+ now.

I agree. Last summer I was outside all day most days during the hottest days of July 2010 building a picket fence and it was not as uncomfortable. At times this summer even up here in Dahlonega the humidity has reminded me of the gulf coast of the panhandle of FL from my trips to the beach.

At this point here in eastern NC we are just baking. The ground is bone dry and the heat is just ridiculous. I hit 102.9 on my porch yesterday and the HI was in the 115 range. No rain in 3 weeks now and theres a a little hope for the next couple of days so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm going to my hunting club land and will take pics of the fields down there and you will see how pathetic the corn is around here.

Looking for highs again today in to 98-102 range so no relief in sight. I have no AC at work and the last 2 days have been HELL in that place just thankful i'm off work for the weekend!

Still struggling to hit 90 IMBY. Today will make the 9th straight day below 90....maybe.:snowman: I feel sorry for everyone else outside the mountains and I'm not really even "in the mountains". July of last year I hit 90+ 14 times. So far this year only twice.

even though its been dry in mby, the temps here havent really been all that high, upper 80s and lower 90s. its been humid but the temps have at least been close to normal

Just broke 90 degrees already here at my house and 20 miles down the road they are sizzling. Howa this for an 11:15AM obs!

Washington, Warren Field Airport

Lat: 35.57 Lon: -77.05 Elev: 39

Last Update on Jul 23, 11:15 am EDT

Fair

91 °F

(33 °C)Humidity:84 %Wind Speed:SW 8 MPHBarometer:30.06"Dewpoint:86 °F (30 °C)Heat Index:121 °F (49 °C)Visibility:10.00 mi.

The ones that did pop up today were VERY tiny so you did luck out. Congrats. I kept my streak of below 90 highs alive at 9 straight days. High was 89.9 IMBY. LOL July this year is running .6 degrees colder than my July of 2010. Go figure that.:arrowhead:

Thanks! It's really interesting you have been below 90 so often this year. Do you think it has to do with the high humidity this year keeping you just a bit below that magical 90 number? Like many have said the humidity this year has been exceptionally nasty on a consistent basis. I think this summer feels much wore than the last few but even here the temps have not been too high. We have not had too many days 95+ but the amount of 90+ days here has been painful. Here in Marietta we seem stuck in the 91-94 degree range more times than I can remember.

Made it to 97 today, which is the hottest since last Summer. Dewpoint currently 62, so there's decent mixing out of the dewpoints. The GFS has decent storm coverage with the next front, but its nw flow stuff so it may be overdone. Then its right back to a strong closed ridge right over the entire Southeast for a while.

Made it to 97 today, which is the hottest since last Summer. Dewpoint currently 62, so there's decent mixing out of the dewpoints. The GFS has decent storm coverage with the next front, but its nw flow stuff so it may be overdone. Then its right back to a strong closed ridge right over the entire Southeast for a while.

FFC says near normal temps the next week. If there is a strong ridge over the SE wouldn't that mean above normal temps ?

FFC says near normal temps the next week. If there is a strong ridge over the SE wouldn't that mean above normal temps ?

the really strong ridging doesn't show up til Mid to late week, but the 588 height line is still well to our north, so we'll be having warm upper temps ,even though it will be a notch down from where we've been....still above normal . However if theres a lot of clouds and /or rain, temps will be down to below normal, and the models do show a good chance of coverage in the Southeast on Monday and Tuesday, then scattering out after that. GA's temps, relative to normal, don't look that far removed from respective averages compared to VA for example.

Had another freaking amazing action packed severe thunderstorm without a warning issued! Best weather this year yesterday and today. Love seabreeze collision storms. The streets were flooded too. I just love the intensity of the rain and wind and lightning and thunder. Was in the window the whole storm when a powerful flash of lightning cut out power and heard one of the loudest thunders ever!

No rain here today. Looks like we have a real good chance at seeing some storms on Monday and Tuesday. Forecasted highs are only in the low 90's throughout the next 5 days. So it will almost be like a mini-cooldown. 91/100 sounds a lot better then 96/110. :thumbsup:

I hope we can get some rain soon. If Monday and Tuesday don't do it, for the Carolinas its a long time until we get another chance, and we have another heatwave on the doorstep. So its really bad news for Columbia to Raleigh if the early week front doesn't make rain.

The topsoil is now bone dry here and the Upstate of SC as well, so we won't be protected from 100 degree temps anymore . The next 594 ridge develops right on top of GSP Thursday through Sunday, on both the GFS and Euro so I think the CLT to GSP corridor finally joins the rest of the Southeast in reaching 100 on the thermometer at some point between Thursday through Sunday, and the convection then will rotate around this ridge, mostly existing in central and western GA and back into Alabama and the Gulf region then. Pure hot, dry downslope winds in the Carolinas. Surface temps are progged over 100 from Columbia to Raleigh, Rocky Mt. and southeast VA for a few days, so obviously this July is coming close to being a record breaker in the heat dept.

post-38-0-19887400-1311513342.gif

post-38-0-91070400-1311513347.gif

Anyone have a guess as to when we're going to be out of this repeating dry and super hot pattern? Mid August? Late August? August at all? This is just absurd.

I'm guessing late August. Usually when these patterns set up it's really hard to break them. But if we could get a nice tropical system to run up the eastern seaboard that could help change the pattern. ..Or maybe a tropical system hitting the gulf coast could act as a dagger in the heart of the heat ridge.

Getting lucky with some clouds right now and its kept our temps down to around 90ish. Really humid this morning but that beats the last 3 mornings where we were approaching 95+ by noon. I have hit 102.9 as my highest temp this week and have missed on some really close showers(I could literally smell rain yesterday down the road) but the next couple of days hold some promise for some showers and storms.

the GFS develops a weak mid level low over eastern GA on Tuesday and Wednesday and consequently, drops a lot of rain over eastern GA even into ne and central GA with several inches near Athens to Augusta. The other models aren't doing this yet, but do make a spin toward the Gulf coast, as ridging takes over in the Carolinas. I think somewhere between MS and GA there will an upper low to form , and then work west and northwest around the closed ridge over the Carolinas. The moisture would pinwheel anticyclonically toward Ark, Mo and Ky , eventually working back around to the Southeast again.

Its scorching here today at 96, tied with the hottest so far this year. Hopefully it rains here before the chances go back to nothing later this week.

Small , slow-moving showers continue to develop at all hours of the day and night and douse anything in their path. One dumped heavy rain for fifteen to thirty minutes last night, and this morning featured a repeat scenario. The ground is fairly saturated locally from the occasional heavy rain seen over the past few weeks, and the amount of run-off produced is a sight.

Otherwise, it's the same ol' same ol' here - 90-93 degrees and HUMID.

Archived