• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Post 4th of July thoughts

Typhoon Tip

LOL..This is the first time in weeks where I think we're going to see them overperform..It's all tied into the ground and soil moisture. I didn';t think yesterday would hit 89. We've finally dried out the ground in CT..so now they can start baking like they did last year. there was just too much water in the ground in June/early July. Yesterday was the first time mowing that I noticed the tractor was kicking up a bit of dust. I think 82-83 today is solid

I was actually trying to see if that wind direction would stay more nrly. That limits downslope for them, and they've come in relatively cool with that direction before. They are 010 now, although they were 030 earlier. I figured nrly wind with some CU might keep them at 79 or possibly 80. Temps will warm slightly aloft this aftn..that might aid in them warming as well. I know they overperform many times when the wind has any westerly component.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the +NAO coming up is positioned in a way that keeps us out of the strongest ridging. The big vortex associated with the positive NAO gets far enough south into Quebec to swing a front through and keep lower heights to our northeast, so we never get into the core of the ridge that's been tormenting the Plains. It's sort of like 93-94 when we had a raging +NAO but it was a favorable one with a monster cold PV sitting over Hudson Bay and bleeding in low-level cold air.

The winter of 1993-1994 was like that... The +NAO became overwhelming and the trough had spokes that kept cutting down from eastern Canada. Their front sides ignited overrunning events and then bled some serious chill in the backside of each passage. Pretty neat actually. I was up at UMass Lowell at the time. That was the great nickle and dime winter - I don't recall more than 8" in a single event but it was like machine gun fire... Close to 100 inches in Middlesex Co.

Anyway, it's probably not a good idea to mention that in the context of an analog - heck, different season. That said, whats interesting is that the overnight computations from CDC only have the NAO neutral just now, with that typical and questionable serrated look to the prognostics... Smoothing that out suggests more of a neutral NAO, so that on the surface seems to argue that these operational GFS runs are at odds and may be on the extreme side of the envelope of possibilities.

One thing that stands out about the modeling behavior this summer is that it seems there is a lower than average consistency - but that's just imo.

We had a 10 month stretch of positive anomalies amid most if not all the climo sites for SNE. One may be inclined to wonder if we have 10 months of negatives at some point, or if it is spread out over 4 years.

Last months neg departures for our 4 major climo sites , well BDL was 0 was nice to see, currently all averaging +1.5 to +4 so gonna be tough to finish neg again.

Considering the extent of the searing heat wave covering much of the USA this Summer, I would feel lucky and satisfied to finish July with a positive departure of only 1C or 2C.

Last months neg departures for our 4 major climo sites , well BDL was 0 was nice to see, currently all averaging +1.5 to +4 so gonna be tough to finish neg again.

Archived