• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Post 4th of July thoughts

Typhoon Tip

I love it - man, it gives you good feelings when the air gets like this. Endorphins or something, I dunno -

But yeah, I hope I don't come across as actually wanting 100F temperatures - no way no how. I like the meteorology behind big heat events, and that really isn't hypocritical because there is a science to that madness. Probably shouldn't have to explain that but it is what it is.

Record high in MHT is only 100 in July. Think it could be broken?

ASH looks to be 106 all time

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...if the worst happens next week I guess I'll just stay inside in the a/c and work. Sort of the July equivalent of what most "normal" people do in the dead of winter. LOL

At least we know that the summer is half over by then so light at the end of the tunnel.

We had torrential rains pass through back east here and only in the last hour managed 69...

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Idk... I just like one good heat wave in the summer. I'm usually someone who likes it cool. I'd rather have the torches now then winter :lol:

Our winters have changed, perhaps semi-permanently... The global climate is warmed substantially in the past 3 to 4 decades - cause notwithstanding and I don't give a crap to get into that... But, sad fact of the matter is, it is warmer, and with that warmth comes less end to end cold chance to characterize winters. Cold quite logically comes in frets and struts and lasts for shorter intervals, perhaps book ended by bigger snows. When the cold conveyors cut though, you go above normal like with greedy speed. That's the back ground signal rearing its ugly head, and doesn't allow for "resident" cold to hang on.

Last year was a great example of this... The NAO tanked at Xmass and lasted much of January... Every time it hinted a elevating it meant an coastal storm, then the index crashed again...rinse, repeat, and we got all our winter in 45 days. Cold conveyor shut up around Feb 10 and for all intents and purposes ...it was over.

The index tugged at our balls late spring and essentially stole June away, but what can you do - we're talking about winter.

Ho wow - that 18z operational GFS is really marvelous... 582dm thickness extending from the Sonoran desert to off the New England Coast in one solid triple digit conveyor... That's ...i don't think ever been modeled.

i just read this and got knots in my stomach...on one hand i can appreciate the science behind this amazing set-up...but i really don't want to experience it...at all...i've spent many summers working out in the mojave...temps hitting 117 repeatedly for days on end...it wears you out...i've literally crawled under the work truck to take refuge in the only shade around and wait out the hottest parts of the afternoon before going back to work in the evening...

it's a big stressor on the body...more than you can even imagine if you've never experienced that kind of heat...granted the heat won't be as extreme once it reaches us...

ugh!!!

Well...Joe will definitely tell us how much he is loving working outside all day on an eight shirt day next week. ;) I only going from the house to the car, etc...

i just read this and got knots in my stomach...on one hand i can appreciate the science behind this amazing set-up...but i really don't want to experience it...at all...i've spent many summers working out in the mojave...temps hitting 117 repeatedly for days on end...it wears you out...i've literally crawled under the work truck to take refuge in the only shade around and wait out the hottest parts of the afternoon before going back to work in the evening...

it's a big stressor on the body...more than you can even imagine if you've never experienced that kind of heat...granted the heat won't be as extreme once it reaches us...

ugh!!!

Was 1980 like this with the heat ridge primarily centered west..but some incursions of the extreme heat into the NE?

I ask because I heard 1980 bandied about in here. I do recall 1980 as being a hot summer in the HV, but I was 14 at the time and there may have been more pleasant interludes also.

Yes, the Plains were hot in June/July 1980, and then it really spread east in August and became torrid. There was a brutal ridge centered over TX/OK that slowly bled farther north as the summer went on.

Well...if the worst happens next week I guess I'll just stay inside in the a/c and work. Sort of the July equivalent of what most "normal" people do in the dead of winter. LOL

At least we know that the summer is half over by then so light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm starting to notice the drop in daylight, can no longer work the garden comfortably at 9pm without a flashlight.

Our winters have changed, perhaps semi-permanently... The global climate is warmed substantially in the past 3 to 4 decades - cause notwithstanding and I don't give a crap to get into that... But, sad fact of the matter is, it is warmer, and with that warmth comes less end to end cold chance to characterize winters. Cold quite logically comes in frets and struts and lasts for shorter intervals, perhaps book ended by bigger snows. When the cold conveyors cut though, you go above normal like with greedy speed. That's the back ground signal rearing its ugly head, and doesn't allow for "resident" cold to hang on.

We had way below normal temperatures last winter...what are you talking about? Dec was like -5F here. Without global warming, it would have been like -6F.

Not sure what this "resident cold" is, sounds like hocus-pocus, we always warm as the NAO goes positive.

Really must have missed out on the rains here. According to my station, we picked up .04" yesterday.

Nice morning though.

56.7/52

52/51 , Just a quick light shower last night when I was playing golf. You could immedialtely feel the change of air mass. The 'torch' simply wasn't here butthis does feel better.

Next Mon-Tue-Wed's Euro looks a lot like this week's Tue-Wed-Thu. Mon looks pretty hot with 90s and then a shortwave/cold front move through and we get a brief trough digging in for about 24hrs. Wednesday would be nice with +8C 850s.

There may be a really hot day near the end of the run, but the op and ens are trying to mitigate the extent of the ridging up our way. Hopefully it only ends up something like 85-90 on the step-up day, a 1 day shot of 90-95, and then a cold frontal passage with drying dews and 85-90. I can do without the day after day of 95-100/70 under the heat dome.

As some of the folks here eagerly pine for a massive heatwave and others revile the notion, a couple of important things to note:

The days are now less than 15 hours long (14.59 vs. 15:16 at the solstice).

As of today the amount of daylight is lessining by 1:23. By two weeks from now, that rate will exceed 2:00/day.

The sun's maximum elevation is 69.2* vs. a solstice high 71.2 and are losing nearly .2* of sun angle per day.

Point being, love the torch or hate the torch. But know this, "Summer, your days are numbered".

Next Mon-Tue-Wed's Euro looks a lot like this week's Tue-Wed-Thu. Mon looks pretty hot with 90s and then a shortwave/cold front move through and we get a brief trough digging in for about 24hrs. Wednesday would be nice with +8C 850s.

There may be a really hot day near the end of the run, but the op and ens are trying to mitigate the extent of the ridging up our way. Hopefully it only ends up something like 85-90 on the step-up day, a 1 day shot of 90-95, and then a cold frontal passage with drying dews and 85-90. I can do without the day after day of 95-100/70 under the heat dome.

Yeah the heat dome seems like it gets cutoff near NJ or so.

Archived