mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Post 4th of July thoughts

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summer really blows, BBQ's, seafood, scantily clad coeds, bikinis, bocce, volleyball, sun, body surfing, surfing, skim boarding, fireworks, the boat, summer vacation, not freezing your azz off with no snow on the ground, ice cold beer..............summer sucks, lets all end the pain now, together :lmao:

Today is 194 I think. We go at least through day 7 without reaching it. Euro looks like it wants to get some real heat in here after day 8...but what else is new for the Euro this summer.

I'm curious what the climo really is for 800' els in the area. I mean, ORH doesn't get 90 that often... some years, they won't at all while places like FIT and BED hit 94.

Just curious... why do you constantly use BDL as a benchmark for your backyard in the summer, but not in winter?

I don't use it as a BM for my MBY. I use it as a source of heat..If it's 90 there it means it's hot for everyone in SNE and there's potential for a heatwave. People on here quite often mistakingly think I am using it to verify my own BY wx

I don't use it as a BM for my MBY. I use it as a source of heat..If it's 90 there it means it's hot for everyone in SNE and there's potential for a heatwave. People on here quite often mistakingly think I am using it to verify my own BY wx

BDL's avg high is 85-86F next week. 90F in BDL is not a good benchmark for big heat. 90F at your house is though and you aren't hitting it any time int he next week at minimum.

BDL's avg high is 85-86F next week. 90F in BDL is not a good benchmark for big heat. 90F at your house is though and you aren't hitting it any time int he next week at minimum.

90 is hot and it fits the criteria of heat and heat wave conditions for 3 successive days. We're not talking about Tolland . You'll be picking me up nxt Thursday in 90 degree sweltering heat..count on it

One of two day torches by your BDL standards ...sure I can see that a few more times this month.

But I think the seasonal tendency is pretty obvious as the ridge is centered in the Plains and can build east to us for short intervals, only to be crushed back down to it's home base out west. A repetitive pattern of about four pleasant days, two hot days, four pleasant days etc....

This is like the inverse of a winter pattern where the cold always dumps into the mid-section, but you can manage short cold shots and some snow events each time here before the next warm-up.

90's from Sunday onwards it sounds like?

90 is hot and it fits the criteria of heat and heat wave conditions for 3 successive days. We're not talking about Tolland . You'll be picking me up nxt Thursday in 90 degree sweltering heat..count on it

We usually consider +10 as a torch on the daily scale. You only use BDL because their average highs are the closest to 90F so they could hit 90-91F while 95% of the rest of SNE is below 90F and play up your heat fetish.

We usually consider +10 as a torch on the daily scale. You only use BDL because their average highs are the closest to 90F so they could hit 90-91F while 95% of the rest of SNE is below 90F and play up your heat fetish.

The only places that wouldn't be 90+ are the hills and a few miles from the coast..That certainly doesn't constitute 95% of SNE lol

The only places that wouldn't be 90+ are the hills and a few miles from the coast..That certainly doesn't constitute 95% of SNE lol

If BDL hits 90F? No, you can have most of SNE below 90F when BDL barely reaches it. We've seen it several times in the past. You are just making stuff up now, lol.

Does that have to be true though ... A Tolland microclimate has to consider/include forested areas .... Here's a case in point: Driving home up Rt 495 between Westborough and Littleton; if the temperature is fluctuating between 91 and 93 (hot day) in that stretch, every time I've turned off the highway and headed up into the heavily wooded hills up 111 just before Harvard Center (El 450 to 500'), the temp plummets some 8 degrees. If it is 90 on the highway, it is invariably 82 or 84 max up in those els. And that is just an elevation change of 200 feet or so, but a lot of foliage. In fact, I don't think I have seen the temperature more than 85 up there yet this year, and that includes topping off at 94 the other day here in Westborough.

I have never been to Kevin's house but from the photos and discriptions, it's easy for me to visualize having to shave the same amount off if going from a lower elevations open savanas, parking lots, or urban areas up into those hills of N and NE CT. In other words, "big heat" for SNE in general could be sufficed at less than 90 at his house if any of this is true.

In keeping with Will's point re the extended Euro .... D8 and especially 9 are death ray heat. In fact, D9 starts 850s out at +20C and ends around +24C, with west wind, pure sun and the entirety of the thermal ridge axis passing bodily through.

That's about 104 at Logon and 89.44 at Tolland. Wow.

Does that have to be true though ... A Tolland microclimate has to consider/include forested areas .... Here's a case in point: Driving home up Rt 495 between Westborough and Littleton; if the temperature is fluctuating between 91 and 93 (hot day) in that stretch, every time I've turned off the highway and headed up into the heavily wooded hills up 111 just before Harvard Center (El 450 to 500'), the temp plummets some 8 degrees. If it is 90 on the highway, it is invariably 82 or 84 max up in those els. And that is just an elevation change of 200 feet or so, but a lot of foliage. In fact, I don't think I have seen the temperature more than 85 up there yet this year, and that includes topping off at 94 the other day here in Westborough.

I have never been to Kevin's house but from the photos and discriptions, it's easy for me to visualize having to shave the same amount off if going from a lower elevations open savanas, parking lots, or urban areas up into those hills of N and NE CT. In other words, "big heat" for SNE in general could be sufficed at less than 90 at his house if any of this is true.

We know the climo there pretty well via the several mesonet stations. They are a bit warmer than ORH airport. So we don't have to speculate too much. When we hit 90F here, I consider that a pretty impressive heat snap because it takes at least a +10 to do that. The warmest average high is 80F. Hitting 90F here is akin to BDL hitting like 96F.

Disagree on that, and I'm not referring to relatively cool of GC.

But, speaking of the relatively cool of GC, 72.8/60

Archived