Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Post 4th of July thoughts

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah that was horrible. could see that one coming a mile away.

it actually ended up cooler today than i thought it would. didn't even make 70F here.

Yeah it was cooler than I thought for Logan too, although these days with low thicknesses and low dews combined with a wind off the water always seem to "overperform" when it comes to cold. This mostly applies for the coast. I usually take the under with MOS in setups like this and was one of the reasons why I thought we would be quite cool on the coast, but even today was a little cooler than I thought.

Looks like the high here is going to be 73F. 6F below average. That's pretty decent with full sun in mid July. This is the hardest time of the year to get negative departures under full sunshine. Its usually rain contamination that causes our neg departures in mid-summer.

Looks like the high here is going to be 73F. 6F below average. That's pretty decent with full sun in mid July. This is the hardest time of the year to get negative departures under full sunshine. Its usually rain contamination that causes our neg departures in mid-summer.

That's the key. If we had self destructive sun with cold air CU popping..then this wouldn't be a big deal. But as you said, we had full sun.

Didn't ORH come in last year with an overnight low of 80 or was that subsequently changed ? I do recall ORH_wxman vehemently challenging the accuracy of the reading.

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/233918-sne-hot-as-a-firecracker-4th-of-july-heat-wave/page__view__findpost__p__4967118

"In all seriousness, its really weird. I know they don't radiate, but even the other hill tops and ridges are cooling much quicker than them. I am tempted to drive to the top of winter hill just to see if its remotely close (winter hill was always VERY close to airport readings), but I suspect it wouldn't be.

I am seriously wondering if there is either a sensor problem or if there was some sort of fresh asphalt/blacktop put down upwind of the ASOS station. It wouldn't be the first time either of those things happened.

But either way, its running extremely warm compared to everyone else in the area. I'd bet you even downtown with all the concrete is several degrees cooler right now. I'm usually within degree of them (airport)...there's been a couple times where I was 2+ degrees colder in winter with snow cover at night, but it was rare. "

"ORH still 87F at 10pm, warmest site in SNE currently...I'm starting to wonder if something is up with their sensor? They are significantly warmer than other exposed "non-radiating" meso sites. I'm down to 77F which is by far the biggest discrepancy I've seen IMBY to their obs. I've never seen them run this warm...maybe its a perfect micro setup or something, but its a little fishy regardless. "

yeah exactly. this wasn't stuck in crud NE flow with a marine layer and rain-tainted cooled air. we were mixing well and only managed mid/upper 70s inland...upper 60s at the coast. LOL.

Nah, won't drop too much here. The burbs may plummet though. The normal cold spots may touch upper 40s.

Yeah looks like we get down to around 60 here tonight and 85ish tomorrow, this weather is just insane, was almost chilly this morning, out by the pit last night till almost midnight, it was so nice had no desire to sleep.

WOW check out the push of warm air out of the south on okx radar in southern ct, I was just posting that our winds went southerly last hour and dew points went from the low 40s to 57. This little dry push had no chance, yes I know it was chilly up in bean town and the cape, 84 for the high here, feeling like summer again already.

Big time heatwave inbound.

That 168 or 192 hour super heatwave. :) Just like the 192 hour crushing Nor'easter that often turns up on the models in the winter. LOL

High of 76 here today. Dew point at 48 now...

Not long lasting though..3 day heat wave and then an overdone , overzealous Euro trough to end it..Would be a couple days of near 100 if correct though

66/52, a high of 74, wonderfully cool and dry under full sun here today. Really nice stretch coming up. Summer rolls on with no true torch weather yet. Time grows short Warministas.

Every single sne station is above normal for July, and most well above Pete, today was a great day, no doubt, we live in the northeast, cool interludes are part of the deal, however, the last two weeks of July look brutally hot, enjoy!

Wow! Two fish on the same lure!!!

That is just assinine to post. We've had 1 or 2 heat waves and many hot humid days.

Really?!!! I don't remember even one 3 day stretch of 90+ temps (an official heatwave). Has any station in New England notched 3 consecutive 90 degree days. Perhaps your back yard (BDL) but I don't think even that hellish spot has pulled it off. Maybe.

Every single sne station is above normal for July, and most well above Pete, today was a great day, no doubt, we live in the northeast, cool interludes are part of the deal, however, the last two weeks of July look brutally hot, enjoy!

I hear everybody going on and on about the heat and yet I feel we've only had a few really warm days. Like you I work outside evryday and it hasn't been bad at all.

I hear everybody going on and on about the heat and yet I feel we've only had a few really warm days. Like you I work outside evryday and it hasn't been bad at all.

Haha yeah but its all relative man. Like just because its *only* 65-70F at 3,700ft one can say that's not a "warm day" literally speaking but that's still like +10 departure at that elevation. A hot day would be 80F at 2,000ft, etc. I'm outside everyday, too, and like you I work at some pretty significant elevation. While I don't like the heat I'll give CT_Blizz and Litchfield the nod during a couple spells so far this summer. It certainly hasn't been a full out torch all summer long like last summer, but we have had a couple periods of decent positive departures. Its never going to hit 90F at 2K feet, lol, but doesn't mean we haven't had a couple really warm periods relative to the normals at each respective elevation band.

With that said, this summer has been a perfect mix to me of mostly highs in the 70s (valley) and 50s (higher elevations) with lows in the 50s and 40s respectively... but thrown in there we've definitely had a couple spells of +10F or greater departure from normal days.

Haha yeah but its all relative man. Like just because its *only* 65-70F at 3,700ft one can say that's not a "warm day" literally speaking but that's still like +10 departure at that elevation. A hot day would be 80F at 2,000ft, etc. I'm outside everyday, too, and like you I work at some pretty significant elevation. While I don't like the heat I'll give CT_Blizz and Litchfield the nod during a couple spells so far this summer. It certainly hasn't been a full out torch all summer long like last summer, but we have had a couple periods of decent positive departures. Its never going to hit 90F at 2K feet, lol, but doesn't mean we haven't had a couple really warm periods relative to the normals at each respective elevation band.

With that said, this summer has been a perfect mix to me of mostly highs in the 70s (valley) and 50s (higher elevations) with lows in the 50s and 40s respectively... but thrown in there we've definitely had a couple spells of +10F or greater departure from normal days.

Meh, regardless of elevation it's been a fairly tame summer. I think all 4 climo sites in SNE were at or below normal for June. July, as one might suspect has had some warm days but nothing noteworthy so far. We'll see what August brings. I'm sticking with a cool and wet summer. Precip has been above average and I'm not seeing any entrenched heat any time soon.

Pete and his cool temperatures (BOS- +4.1, ORH-+3.1-that's pretty warm, esp. in July). I wonder if he will turn the heat on tonight? Maybe he'll be fine with a sweatshirt?

High of 76 here today. 67/56 now, probably gets down to the mid 50s, so no A/C tonight, I guess. tongue.gif

Meh, regardless of elevation it's been a fairly tame summer. I think all 4 climo sites in SNE were at or below normal for June. July, as one might suspect has had some warm days but nothing noteworthy so far. We'll see what August brings. I'm sticking with a cool and wet summer. Precip has been above average and I'm not seeing any entrenched heat any time soon.

It has

bdr-1.02

bdl-.41

orh-.40

bos-.41

Pittsfield mass is below to but I cant find there average, so no, July has been well above normal and drier than normal, sorry Pete

Archived