Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Obs.

dsaur

Picked up a very welcome .50!:thumbsup:

Congrats! :thumbsup:

I was here in the neighborhood at a bbq watching the rain... 1.09" total. First time i have seen puddles in MONTHS! Trees nd powerlines down just north of here in H'boro earlier.

Wooo Hoooo! It's about time! :thumbsup:

Picked up 0.75 yesterday with a very impressive t-storm. At one point, for about 3 minutes, it was some of the heaviest rain I have seen in some time as visibility dropped down to just a few hundred feet with a lot of rain. Some amazing visuals though as I was on the very very edge of the heavy rain the entire time. And due to the slow movement, there would be times it was pouring just 200 feet away while only a sprinkle over the house. At one point, it was raining extremely heavy and it was is someone flipped a switch and it just stopped completely. It had to be the heaviest rain I have ever seen to stop so suddenly.

Unfortunately though I could have done a lot better, as i mentioned i was on the very edge...and for a good 30 minutes I could see looking up that I was missing the heaviest part. I was in like an island of stability while being surrounding by heavy rain. I would imagine the areas just to my north and east picked up twice as much.

Not bad at all for being on the edge :thumbsup::)

Not the first drop fell here yesterday.....another chance again today :wub:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driving down to Hilton Head there was a ton of smoke on I-16 and I-95 around Savannah. There must be a wildfire somewhere nearby. Quite a sight.

This is about as much smoke as I can recall in Savannah in recent times. It smells and it has the look of a light fog. The sources are the big Okefenokee swamp fire as well as a much smaller one in Liberty county:

http://kamala.cod.edu/ga/latest.wwus82.KCHS.html

Well, here's what I've got...

Nice Vids! I would like to be fishing up there about now. We have been back from the beach about a week now. It is as muggy this afternoon as it gets in the mountians. Some instability around and tstorms are starting to fire up. One cell to the west of us looks like it might push thru. Got .12 yest. but the outflow made the evening great.

well i am glad to see some people getting some decent rain! its been dry here, had a good thunder/lightning show last evening but less than a quarter inch. other than that nothing here. more storms firing just to the nw. i hope they make it this way for a change

Well, here's what I've got...

The Greenbrier is my favorite place on this earth. I've got many memories of that place over the last 20 plus years. I caught my first trout on a fly there. In fact I'll be fishing up there in a couple of weeks. Awesome videos.

can hear and see one rumbling to my North, and I see it on radar. Got luck y yesterday with 1.3 out of two different cells. Up to just under 35 inches ytd, was suprised when I added it up.

Normal for us is about 63" per year so we are doing good so far this year. Im at 31.41 for the year and only got .82 yesterday out of one cell. Raining atm though.

They say if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

'If' this were to verify, it could cut my deficit in half.

You definitely can't use those maps with any type of assurance this time of year, unless something widespread and synoptic is coming. These areas of convection with fronts or air-mass storms are hard to pinpoint which counties even get into it, much less how much any specific area will get hit. There more useful in showing just areas that will have the best chance at storms, and of course plenty of areas even under the highest "max" may not even see a drop....its very generalized.

LOL Robert - How well I know the last part of your last sentence :) It's just wishful thinking on my part. Of course, after reading all the wind damage reports from yesterday, and what many folks have been posting here recently, you included, maybe I better stop wishing. With hundreds of 70-90' pines on the property, I can do without the squalls and downdrafts and cleanup that ensues. A nice stratiform rain, however, would be very welcome ;)

LOL Robert - How well I know the last part of your last sentence :) It's just wishful thinking on my part. Of course, after reading all the wind damage reports from yesterday, and what many folks have been posting here recently, you included, maybe I better stop wishing. With hundreds of 70-90' pines on the property, I can do without the squalls and downdrafts and cleanup that ensues. A nice stratiform rain, however, would be very welcome ;)

Only way you gonna see anything close to something like that in the next few months is if the associated LP has a name B)

Although sometimes the backside of MCS can give you a nice period of steady moderate to light rain, of course I cant remember the last time we had several of those in a month much less a weeks time.....which is what we would need to even begin to get back on top of the drought.

Oh and remember above when I was whining about how all those 60% days end up crap well tonight which was at least 50% yesterday and maybe even as late as this morning is now down to 30% and with nary a storm in sight I have a feeling that is a bit optimistic.

Bummer that KRAX radar is still offline this evening. Makes it kinda hard to watch a storm in your backyard (almost) from a site 100 miles away on GR. Of course, living just 5 miles from the KRAX site, that also has it's disadvantages. Got WRAL pulled up as my backup, and the rain still won't creep any closer!! ;)

Bummer that KRAX radar is still offline this evening. Makes it kinda hard to watch a storm in your backyard (almost) from a site 100 miles away on GR. Of course, living just 5 miles from the KRAX site, that also has it's disadvantages. Got WRAL pulled up as my backup, and the rain still won't creep any closer!! ;)

Can you use the RAX TDWR?

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=RDU&type=TR0

A storm is approaching from the sw right now, I think it can hold together. These storms are surprising me with how late they are still popping. I'll take the rain and smile. :thumbsup:

Wish I was at our house to watch it roll in. Enjoy! Its so humid in Hilton Head ugh

Its absolutely pouring here. I spent the whole afternoon cleaning up my yard. Weve had some good ctg lightning with this storm too. Its sad the number of huge oaks that are down around Emerson. It appears that a microburst came down the mountain that flanks the west side of town and blew straight through the heart of town.

Archived