joxey
July Obs.

dsaur

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:angry::(

.NEAR TERM /TODAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --HAVE ADDED MENTION OF SMOKE TO THE CSRA REGION DUE TO A NARROWSMOKE PLUME THAT SHOWS UP ON THE VISIBLE IMAGERY COMING UP FROMTHE SOUTHERN GA FIRES. VISIBILITIES IN AUGUSTA HAVE DROPPED TOLESS THAN 2 MILES AT TIMES DUE TO THE SMOKE. EXPECT CONDITIONS TOIMPROVE LATER THIS AFTERNOON...ALTHOUGH THE SMELL OF SMOKE WILLMORE THAN LIKELY CONTINUE

Guess my grilling will be safe this afternoon...

RAH

THE THERMODYNAMIC ENVIRONMENT OVER NC REMAINS SOMEWHAT HOSTILE WITH WEAK MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND A VERY WEAK WIND FIELD THROUGH MID AND UPPER LEVELS. AS SUCH... AND WITH HIGH CLOUD BASES... WE CAN SAFELY REMOVE POP FOR ALL BUT THE NEAR-BORDER AREAS FOR THE NEXT FEW HOURS.

The thunder rumbled, the clouds were dark, but I only counted 5 rain drops :( It did cool off nicely for an evening at the ball field :)

The thunder lately has been amazing. Yesterday afternoon, the clouds came up again and, again, blew up just south of me. I watched the sky blacken off to the southwest, then got a warning for Pike Co. Then another fast on it's heels for Williamson, where I lived when I moved down here years ago. It is about 16 miles from my present house. Then came the booming. It was like the biggest fireworks show ever, with rockets going off on top of each other, and echoing, then more going off in chains. And as loud as if it were overhead. Amazing thunder!! And way, way loud!!! And a while later I got 10 drops of liquid....and I didn't see any birds...so it must have been rain :) T

:angry::(

.NEAR TERM /TODAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --HAVE ADDED MENTION OF SMOKE TO THE CSRA REGION DUE TO A NARROWSMOKE PLUME THAT SHOWS UP ON THE VISIBLE IMAGERY COMING UP FROMTHE SOUTHERN GA FIRES. VISIBILITIES IN AUGUSTA HAVE DROPPED TOLESS THAN 2 MILES AT TIMES DUE TO THE SMOKE. EXPECT CONDITIONS TOIMPROVE LATER THIS AFTERNOON...ALTHOUGH THE SMELL OF SMOKE WILLMORE THAN LIKELY CONTINUE

Its been that way here almost everday for close to two months now, sadly most of us have almost gotten use to it. If we are lucky it will come and go, some days its thick others you can smell it but not really see a lot of smoke. The other morning we had heavy SMOG :thumbsdown: and vis was 100 ft in some places.

Only thing that is gonna change this I fear is a slow moving TC putting down 10"+ of rain on the coast.......

The thunder lately has been amazing. Yesterday afternoon, the clouds came up again and, again, blew up just south of me. I watched the sky blacken off to the southwest, then got a warning for Pike Co. Then another fast on it's heels for Williamson, where I lived when I moved down here years ago. It is about 16 miles from my present house. Then came the booming. It was like the biggest fireworks show ever, with rockets going off on top of each other, and echoing, then more going off in chains. And as loud as if it were overhead. Amazing thunder!! And way, way loud!!! And a while later I got 10 drops of liquid....and I didn't see any birds...so it must have been rain :) T

Yes it has :wub: I've missed this sound the past few summers and it has been a welcome change ^_^

Its been that way here almost everday for close to two months now, sadly most of us have almost gotten use to it. If we are lucky it will come and go, some days its thick others you can smell it but not really see a lot of smoke. The other morning we had heavy SMOG :thumbsdown: and vis was 100 ft in some places.

Only thing that is gonna change this I fear is a slow moving TC putting down 10"+ of rain on the coast.......

The air quality alerts on my phone are almost a daily thing anymore :( I can only imagine how it is for everyone closer to the fires.

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

-- Changed Discussion --AREAS OF SMOKE FROM REGIONAL FIRES IN SOUTHERN GA AND EASTERN NC

WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE AN IMPACT ACROSS THE AREA THIS EVENING AND

OVERNIGHT. SOME SLIGHTLY REDUCED VISIBILITIES MAY OCCUR IN

AREAS...AND THERE MAY BE AN ENHANCED FOG THREAT BY MORNING. BEST

BET FOR LOWEST VISIBILITIES WILL BE ALONG AND NEAR BODIES OF

WATER. SMELL OF SMOKE WILL MORE THAN LIKELY REMAIN PREVALENT

Got to 95.9 today. Not to shabby compared to what was looming just a few days ago. Even got a few spatters of rain as the usual "huge, big storm that missed me" went by a few miles to the east, then hooked around underneath me, for the second day running. T

Wow, I had a storm EXPLODE right over my house. It went from nothing to a hail producing monster in about 10 minutes. The hail was pea sized and there was not much. That said it was still impressive because the storm exploded from nada into a beast and then back to nothing again. I picked up a quick downpour and some hail stones. What a wonderful way to end a hot summer day!!!!

Wow, I had a storm EXPLODE right over my house. It went from nothing to a hail producing monster in about 10 minutes. The hail was pea sized and there was not much. That said it was still impressive because the storm exploded from nada into a beast and then back to nothing again. I picked up a quick downpour and some hail stones. What a wonderful way to end a hot summer day!!!!

OMG I got nailed up here too! I think somewhere around 1". I really wish I would have gotten my new rain gauge sooner. :( Cause I would've had an accurate total. Whatever....

This pattern over the next week is a good one for most of the Southeast. Daily showers and thunderstorms should be pretty abundant. The models have the main ridging high out west and one to our east, so we're sandwiched in with a weakness and 2 dying fronts, and a really soupy airmass, and possibly a very weak upper low forming in GA. Of course not everybody will get a daily shower, but the coverage should be a little higher than climo, and considering how dry many areas are the last few Summers, it will feel wetter than average probably. Ala, GA and the Carolinas should be the general region of daily storms the next 5 to 7 days. Florida does very well too.

I hope I can see the fireworks tonight :unsure:

.NEAR TERM /TODAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --SMOKE WILL CONTINUE TO BE AN ISSUE ACROSS MUCH OF THE CWA AGAINTODAY. MAJORITY OF THE SMOKE IS FROM THE REGIONAL FIRES INSOUTHERN GA...WITH SOME SMALLER FIRES PROBABLY ADDING AN IMPACTALSO. AT LEAST THE EASTERN NC FIRE IS NOT IMPACTING US TODAY. THESMOKE WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES SOMEWHAT THROUGH THE DAY. LEETROUGH WILL SETUP LATER TODAY ACROSS THE WEST. MAIN FRONTALBOUNDARY STILL NORTH OF THE OHIO RIVER...BUT WILL BEGIN MOVINGSOUTHWARD TOWARDS THE REGION LATER THIS AFTERNOON. FRONT WILLSTALL OUT TO THE NORTH OF THE STATE THOUGH. EVEN SO...RAIN CHANCESWILL BE ON THE INCREASE...ESPECIALLY ACROSS NORTHERN COUNTIES LATEIN THE DAY. HIGHS WILL CONTINUE TO BE IN THE MID 90S.-- End Changed Discussion --

Looking at the sat pic above made me run a loop, I wasnt aware there was a fire near Fayetteville and I woke up to the smell of smoke this morning so I knew it was thick outside for me to smell it inside. I assumed it was from the Pender County fire but looking at that pic and this loop http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/wfo/rah/flash-vis.html I see that it is from a different "new"?? fire.

Looking at the sat pic above made me run a loop, I wasnt aware there was a fire near Fayetteville and I woke up to the smell of smoke this morning so I knew it was thick outside for me to smell it inside. I assumed it was from the Pender County fire but looking at that pic and this loop http://www.ssd.noaa..../flash-vis.html I see that it is from a different "new"?? fire.

I hope those fires get extinguished the next few days. Yes you can clearly seem them on the sat. The good news is pretty much all the models are painting high rain chances pretty much everywhere south of the Ohio River, basically the entire Southeast. RUC has 2 rounds of strong storms affecting TN to NC today and overnight. That would be bonus rains if right. The front hangs around and everyday will feature daily masses of storms developing, and even some early morning storms for some areas...also a chance that a circulation near Florida could come into the mix later on.

I hope those fires get extinguished the next few days. Yes you can clearly seem them on the sat. The good news is pretty much all the models are painting high rain chances pretty much everywhere south of the Ohio River, basically the entire Southeast. RUC has 2 rounds of strong storms affecting TN to NC today and overnight. That would be bonus rains if right. The front hangs around and everyday will feature daily masses of storms developing, and even some early morning storms for some areas...also a chance that a circulation near Florida could come into the mix later on.

Lets hope so other than that storm last week that gave us around a inch we really havent had much of anything these last few months. We really need a several day event were we get round after round of storms and or dying MCS that stall and rain out over us.

Overall though at this point we need a tropical system for a more uniform soaking and I think many signs point to active year for North Carolina so we will see. With our luck it will be 1999 all over again. It was if I remember correctly it was dry in 1999 and then we got a years worth of rain in 15 days lol.....

This pattern over the next week is a good one for most of the Southeast. Daily showers and thunderstorms should be pretty abundant. The models have the main ridging high out west and one to our east, so we're sandwiched in with a weakness and 2 dying fronts, and a really soupy airmass, and possibly a very weak upper low forming in GA. Of course not everybody will get a daily shower, but the coverage should be a little higher than climo, and considering how dry many areas are the last few Summers, it will feel wetter than average probably. Ala, GA and the Carolinas should be the general region of daily storms the next 5 to 7 days. Florida does very well too.

I agree. I think everyone will get something at some point the next 7 days. Looks like we finally get into a situation where convection coverage should be decent or even better for a while. I had storms all around me yesterday..it literally rained in every direction within a few miles but due to their slow movement I only got sprinkles. This is the only negative..their slow movement. GSP noted the pws possibly as high as 2.25 inches here by fri/sat creeping into their southern counties, so anything by then is going to be efficient rainfall producers in these areas for sure.

Found out the Bladen Co fire is a smaller one that has been burning since June 20th and apparently they started a burnout yesterday to "control" the fire and seem to have lost some control over it.

Fayetteville, N.C. — A wildfire in Bladen County that was sparked last month and has already destroyed three homes in the Live Oaks community jumped its containment line Sunday, forcing the evacuation of at least 10 homes near the Bladen-Cumberland County line, emergency officials said.

The state Forest Service has been battling the blaze, which has burned at least 3,200 acres since June 21. A "burnout operation" Sunday went awry, causing the flames to spread toward homes on Avery and Squatting Bear roads, off Turnbull Road, in southeast Cumberland County.

http://www.wral.com/.../story/9815376/

Bladen Co. fire must really be cranking particulates today. Getting a nice return on radar from it now. Hoping some of the storms now firing bring some of us some relief this afternoon/evening. Not sure if they'll get this far East or not. It's always a crapshoot when you're one of the border counties of a watch box.

Looking SE toward the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, looking out over the Greenbriar Pinnacle right before a thunderstorm...

I could tell how nice and cool it was. Lucky you!

For the 3rd day running the storm popped just to my east, and hooked around to the south of me. But this time the hook came far enough around to the west, that it sideswiped me with a nice 15 minute shower. At least the ground got semi-damp, and it's down to 77!

Have fun up there! T

The smoke and fires have really been unreal this summer. While we don't have the low level smoke we have had recently, they sky is almost completely opaque today from the fire in S GA. No blue sky...just a dirty white. And, now we have a 350 acre fire here in the suberbs of Myrtle Beach. I swear I've spent more time tracking smoke plumes on the radar than tracking storms. The only cool thing about it is the awsome pyrocumulus that have been popping up.

Archived