12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
July Obs.

dsaur

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.11 from the edge of a passing storm last evening. Starting to wonder how wet it's going to be for the Tim McGraw concert at Walnut Creek on Friday night, given the increased chances of rain through the period.

Edit: Total since May 1 is now 3.61"

Looks like the GFS wants to torch the SE the beginning of next week. This heat dome looks nasty.

It might be overrated. I think it over did this last heat wave as well. If we can get the 594 ridge to truly develop and not ebb and flow, we'd really get the heat to crank up. So far, there's enough s/w in teh flow to keep dampening out the big ridges here in the Southeast. The whole ridging is so broad from west to east, its hard to get concentrated heat that way. But eventually our luck will run out. I know many have hit 100 before this season.

Mesoscale Discussion 1520< Previous MD mcd1520.gif MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1520 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1153 AM CDT WED JUL 06 2011 AREAS AFFECTED...SRN VA...CNTRL-ERN NC...SC CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH UNLIKELY VALID 061653Z - 061830Z AN ISOLATED SEVERE THREAT IS LIKELY TO EXIST THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS SRN VA...NC AND SC AS STORMS INCREASE IN COVERAGE. WIND DAMAGE SHOULD BE THE PRIMARY THREAT BUT HAIL WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE WITH THE MORE INTENSE CORES. THE THREATS ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN TOO MARGINAL FOR WW ISSUANCE. STRONG SFC HEATING HAS TAKEN PLACE ACROSS THE CAROLINAS TODAY AND MESOANALYSIS SUGGESTS MLCAPE VALUES ARE NOW IN THE 2000 TO 3000 J/KG RANGE FROM SRN VA SWD INTO CNTRL SC. THUNDERSTORMS ARE DEVELOPING IN THE APPALACHIAN MTNS AND FOOTHILLS OF SRN VA. THUNDERSTORMS ARE ALSO INCREASING IN COVERAGE ON THE ERN EDGE OF THE INSTABILITY AXIS IN ERN NC AND ERN SC. AS SFC HEATING CONTINUES...THUNDERSTORMS SHOULD ALSO INITIATE IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF WCNTRL NC AND CNTRL SC WITH THIS CONVECTION MOVE EWD ACROSS THE AXIS OF STRONG INSTABILITY. THE INSTABILITY AND STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES EVIDENT ON FORECAST SOUNDINGS SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT FOR DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AS STORMS PULSE UP AND DOWN THIS AFTERNOON. THE SEVERE THREAT IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN MARGINAL BECAUSE LARGE-SCALE ASCENT IS LIMITED AND THE CONVECTION IS BE DRIVEN BY INSTABILITY AND WARMING SFC TEMPS. ..BROYLES.. 07/06/2011 ATTN...WFO...AKQ...MHX...RAH...ILM...RNK...CHS...CAE...GSP...

the seabreeze around here can be a Godsend or a curse, usually is where the first storms of the afternoon develop, on that boundry. today it started a little early and the storms formed about 5-10 miles inland, west of the intercoastal. This keeps the beach areas still in the desert dry around here. Hopefully this afternoon we can get some larger storms to make it all the way down to the beach.

another day of below guidance/forecast temps here . Sitting at 81 at my place at 2 pm. The clouds lately have really held the temps from getting to the 90's. Looks like I'll miss out on the rain again, but the eastern sections need it worse. Getting pretty dry here, the last few events have been in the .10" to .25" range, which doesn't sink in. Creeks and Rivers look abyssmal, like always. Haven't seen them get even close to normal other than a wet month here or there, in 2009 and 2005, and 2003.

It might be overrated. I think it over did this last heat wave as well. If we can get the 594 ridge to truly develop and not ebb and flow, we'd really get the heat to crank up. So far, there's enough s/w in teh flow to keep dampening out the big ridges here in the Southeast. The whole ridging is so broad from west to east, its hard to get concentrated heat that way. But eventually our luck will run out. I know many have hit 100 before this season.

The 12Z GFS has KATL hitting 100 F on 7/12. I think that is likely overrated. For early July, it had about five days in a row of 100+ at least once (with 102-103+ on some days) at about the 4-8 day range. KATL ended up with "only" 95 for its highest during that forecasted period. Although difficult to prove that this is the main reason, the GFS has had a strong warm bias in recent weeks, its warmest bias since at least 2001, and the warmest bias by a large margin in the northern hemisphere for the major models as a whole:

http://www.emc.ncep....html/mnz56.html

Juicy around here at 2:00PM. Sitting at 90/72 HI=97° with broken clouds. Showers and storms have started firing both E & W of here, so I'm hoping it's just a matter of time before they fill in to our SW and start lifting in.

The 12Z GFS has KATL hitting 100 F on 7/12. I think that is likely overrated. For early July, it had about five days in a row of 100+ at least once (with 102-103+ on some days) at about the 4-8 day range. KATL ended up with "only" 95 for its highest during that forecasted period. Although difficult to prove that this is the main reason, the GFS has had a strong warm bias in recent weeks, its warmest bias since at least 2001, and the warmest bias by a large margin in the northern hemisphere for the major models as a whole:

http://www.emc.ncep....html/mnz56.html

It had several days of 100+ in a pretty big chunk of the Southeast during this last heatwave, that probably wasn't a true heatwave. (speakin of the 4th). It backed up around3 days before hand to join most of the other models, but for a short while there was some good agreement between it and ECM. I think its having trouble in the very active northwest flow regime. It continues to try and develop strong ridges and heatwaves, but doesn't fully recognize just how active the pacific jet is this year. Its quite unusually active. If it were'nt, we'd be roasting just like Texas I think. Places like Macon and Columbia would probably be cracking 100 on the daily. And much of the Southeast would be in upper 90s daily. I won't trust its solution of a major strong ridge until its almost on the doorstep. Actually right now there's good agreement between it and the GGEM so far for the next 5 to 7 days, that its definitely going to get hotter, but I'm still skeptical of just how hot. Signs of northerly dropping s/w, esp. evident for the Carolinas and eastern GA.

i sure hope some storms fire up - mby been missed by rain the last week or so. looks like all (or most) of the actions is farther south in ga and into middle sc. hopefully that little blob coming into nw ga will expand and move east (and far enough not to rain out less than 5 miles from my house lol)

Sun is out in full force here in Dahlonega. Time to heat up the atmosphere and light the fire.

Do you think we can overcome the late start to the atmospheric destabilization? I still see some crap clouds in that pic you have there. Could that inhibit convection still or has it burned off enough to allow for some storms to fire?

Sun is out in full force here in Dahlonega. Time to heat up the atmosphere and light the fire.

That's a gorgeous piece of land.

Here in Hilton Head its been hot and dry all day. There are numerous storms inland, but nothing so far. They appear to be trying to make their way down here. Outflow boundary from a cluster to my north is incoming.

That's a gorgeous piece of land.

it sure is! and i cant believe how green it is. maybe i need to bribe him to come over and work on my yard :scooter:

the clouds earlier today were nice in keeping the temp down (just now reaching the low 80s) but it sure did stop the sun from heating things up and popping up the storms. oh well

Huge bubble of subsiding air (mostly) from north Ga to here. The lee trough is working into the central Carolinas so thats where the good storm development is today. Usually not a good sign for categorical pops for this region (AHN-GSP-CLT) when the convection begins earlier east of the western piedmont and southern Apps.

post-38-0-64749200-1309984667.jpg

Archived