Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 29th - July 4th Severe Weather Threat

SEMIweather

Had an eerie sunset here.

Half of the sky was this deep red/orange, whereas the other was purple/black from the storm rolling through. Everything was bathed in a reddish/pink hue.

What a day, though. Heat indices of 110+ (Ypsilanti had 111 at one point), severe storms that pop up from nowhere, gorgeous sunsets, constant lightning.

This is what summer is all about!

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an amazing day. We chased across much of North Central Indiana. Saw beautiful and widespread Mammatus clouds. Also saw several nice shelfts/1 nice wall cloud.

The most interesting part of the day occurred after the chase. We got back to Muncie and we were all having a beer around the pool and we had been watching radar/watching the dying line of thunderstorms on the East side of the mcs when all of a sudden it got breezy and got very very warm. Needless to say, after checking the weather station data, I most definitely experienced my first heat burst as we had an 11 degree temperature increase in less than 10 minutes with winds gusting to 41 mph. Pretty wicked for Indiana.

23:59 72.0 °F 72.0 °F 30.10in Calm 12.0mph 100% 0.00in 
00:00 73.4 °F 73.4 °F 30.10in WSW 3.0mph 12.0mph 100% 0.00in 
00:01 75.2 °F 75.2 °F 30.10in Calm 12.0mph 100% 0.00in 
00:02 77.0 °F 77.0 °F 30.08in WSE 17.0mph 17.0mph 100% 0.00in 
00:03 79.6 °F 79.6 °F 30.08in WSW 21.0mph 21.0mph 100% 0.00in 
00:04 80.4 °F 80.4 °F 30.08in WSW 28.0mph 28.0mph 100% 0.00in 
00:05 82.1 °F 82.1 °F 30.08in WS 36.0mph 36.0mph 100% 0.00in 
00:06 83.5 °F 83.5 °F 30.08in WS 41.0mph 41.0mph 100% 0.00in 

Great pics guys!! Very rare to get such perfect light scattering. The entire field of vision was orange.

Those were the best mammatus I have ever seen in Michigan. Looking at the SPC Storm Reports Map yesterday was very active here, and probably the best all-around severe weather day so far this year for DTX's CWA (13/17 counties had at least one severe weather report).

Those were the best mammatus I have ever seen in Michigan. Looking at the SPC Storm Reports Map yesterday was very active here, and probably the best all-around severe weather day so far this year for DTX's CWA (13/17 counties had at least one severe weather report).

How many days until the SEMI weenies start complaining again?

I still kinda think yesterday was a waste of a day, considering what maybe just 10 more knots of shear would/could have done when combined with the instablitey we had.

Got a small amout of hail around here, up to about quarter sized, was a soft hail pretty much splattered on the windshild of my car and only kept its shape when hitting the softer grassy areas. Also 50-60mph winds. There are limbs down here/there with a tree mixed in. Really, a run of the mill marginal svr. storm but considering where i'm located and how much svr weather usually occurs i'll take it over nothing. At least no trees fell into the yard this time unlike 2 weeks ago.

I was at Comerica Park when the storm hit iit was CRAZY. They evacuated the upper deck, trying to cram the sellout crowd into concourses on the lower level. I took some pics will upload later. Sounds like the storm hit my area the worst, as I wasnt home to see it of course lol. Had 2.25" in my rain gague, flash floods everywhere downriver, including some cars stranded under a viaduct. Also lots of branches and some wires down too, as well as some awnings blown off of houses. My rain total was the highest of any of the coop or official stations anywhere in SE MI (actually had 2.30" on the day as had a brief shower around 8am)....although I did see on wunderground that the weather station in Southgate (which borders Wyandotte) had 2.58" of rain. Wind gusts estimated at 60 mph as well. I know it hailed but as said, wasnt home, though based on several nearby reports of 1.00" diameter hail, I assume that was it. Its a shame I missed that, it was chaotic in a different way at Comerica because of being cooped up with 40,000 people, but sounds like what was a bad storm in downtown Detroit was a much worse storm at home. Oh, and the 8pm temp was 93F, 9pm temp 73F.

Don't worry, powerball is still complaining everyday. There might be some cumulus clouds over Detroit today, so he'll probably complain there isn't full sun.

Those damn cirrus clouds here ruined my day.

Most of us just state facts but it comes off as complaining. Had an active day and you have to try and get something started. I know your just messing around...

You only state the negative facts though (and some are exaggerated). Like your 0 for 9 on Watch boxes... which wasn't completely true. Not to mention the constant complaining during winter even when the DTX area has a top 10 winter.

Those damn cirrus clouds here ruined my day.

You only state the negative facts though (and some are exaggerated). Like your 0 for 9 on Watch boxes... which wasn't completely true. Not to mention the constant complaining during winter even when the DTX area has a top 10 winter.

Nothing positive about going 0-7 (feels like 9). As far as the winter went all I remember saying was that we lacked a big snowfall. Makes sense that we get criticized though because SE Michigan has a big contingency on here. Have a good 4th.

What a day, though. Heat indices of 110+ (Ypsilanti had 111 at one point), severe storms that pop up from nowhere, gorgeous sunsets, constant lightning.

This is what summer is all about!

Yep, that's definitely the best part of the summer season.

Though I understand many will disagree with that (I don't care, but I do understand).

Nothing positive about going 0-7 (feels like 9). As far as the winter went all I remember saying was that we lacked a big snowfall. Makes sense that we get criticized though because SE Michigan has a big contingency on here. Have a good 4th.

10" storms on from GHD (If you include Overrunning snowfall), and Feb. 21st isn't enough for you? Sheesh...

If you got banned from accuwx, you probably shouldn't be posting the same Sh*t here.

10" storms on from GHD (If you include Overrunning snowfall), and Feb. 21st isn't enough for you? Sheesh...

If you got banned from accuwx, you probably shouldn't be posting the same Sh*t here.

Understanding local climo goes a long way. If you're in southeast Michigan and you're expecting a 18" storm every year or even every 5 years, you're going to be disappointed.

Not going to discuss winter with you here. Your constantly trying to start stuff. As far as accuwx goes that's 1. None of your business to begin with 2. I don't appreciate you getting into my business and posting something in here that has nothing to do with you 3. I had a disagreement with that weathermatrix guy and the way he treats people over there. That has nothing to do with stating facts (complaining to you) on here. Its dead over there now because they've banned so many people. With that being said do me a favor stop trying to be an instigator.

A t'storm has popped up SW of Ann Arbor. Instability continues to holds serve (1000 J/KG and -3 LIs) and I have a darkening base to my NW.

Looks like the isolated activity is being forced by the lake breezes and a Weak Shortwave coming in out of Iowa and Illinois.

vadv.gif?1309733820429

Understanding local climo goes a long way. If you're in southeast Michigan and you're expecting a 18" storm every year or even every 5 years, you're going to be disappointed.

I understand climate and I have said this several times. Considering minneapolis, most of the big cities on the east coast, chicago, dakotas, and other places all had a 15 inch + snow storm. Not into all of their climates but I am sure it's not normal for them either (pardon me for my ignorance here if I am wrong about other locations climates). So while it was snowy here which was nice, we didn't get the big one. Thats a fact and I am not complaining. Everyone on here think SE MI posters are whining/complaining when we say what really happened. I don't expect a 18 inch snowstorm every year. I expect atleast one 12 inch plus storm and a rare 15-20 inch one once every 2-3 years. The fact that alot of areas had one last year just puts a slight damper on the record snowfall last year. Done trying to explain myself and several of the MI posters that get criticized, (whether your joking or not) it gets old. Hope everyone has a happy 4th of July. God bless our troops.

I expect atleast one 12 inch plus storm and a rare 15-20 inch one once every 2-3 years.

Well have fun being continually disappointed as long as you live in SEMI. I mean what on earth causes you to expect that kind of snow here? Detroit has only has had twelve 12" + snowstorms since 1880 and only three 15"+... http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/display_climate.php?file=dtwsnowstorms.htm

I understand climate and I have said this several times. Considering minneapolis, most of the big cities on the east coast, chicago, dakotas, and other places all had a 15 inch + snow storm. Not into all of their climates but I am sure it's not normal for them either (pardon me for my ignorance here if I am wrong about other locations climates). So while it was snowy here which was nice, we didn't get the big one. Thats a fact and I am not complaining. Everyone on here think SE MI posters are whining/complaining when we say what really happened.

We were sort of in the same boat with the Groundhog storm...southern part of the heavy snow band only to have the big snow go north in the end. It was kinda disappointing but not as bad as 12/1/06 from a personal standpoint.

I don't expect a 18 inch snowstorm every year. I expect atleast one 12 inch plus storm and a rare 15-20 inch one once every 2-3 years.

Then your expectations are too high. I'm sure Josh knows the exact numbers but for a long term average, I guarantee that any one location in southeast Michigan does not average a 12" storm every year nor a 15-20" every few years.

Archived