Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 29th - July 4th Severe Weather Threat

SEMIweather

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nasty cells near Algonac...some rotation

My bro called me from Harsens Island, a willow tree at my grandparent's house got split in half by the gusts.

Also DTW gusted to 55kt

KDTW 030004Z COR 28030G55KT 2SM R04R/5500VP6000FT +TSRA SQ SCT050CB SCT085 BKN150 26/22 A2988 RMK AO2 PK WND 27055/0001 WSHFT 2344 RAB01 PRESRR CONS LTGICCG W-NE TS W-NE MOV SE P0000 $

Looks like many damage hail reports coming into NWS DTX.

Hail at Metro also, 1/2" looks like I am dodging a rough shift right now, probably will be quiet midnight shift.

KDTW 030025Z 19022G38KT 1SM R04R/2200VP6000FT +TSGRRA SQ SCT010 BKN050CB BKN065 26/23 A2988 RMK AO2 PK WND 27055/0001 WSHFT 2344 RAB01GSB09E24GRB24 CONS LTGICCG OHD-NE TS OHD-NE MOV SE GR 1/2 P0053 $

I honeslty have never seen hail here at my house. I have gotten some serious winds, and that weak tornado last year but never hail. Normal hail around here is quarter size hail and usually no bigger?

Michigan is pretty much a no large hail zone, although you semi guys have a lot higher chance than I do up here in Central MI. I've actually had small hail 3x IMBY this year which I consider great lol.

Had 50 mph winds and no hail here in Shelby Township. Good storm.

Friend in my subdivision on the southwest side of Lake Orion said 50 mph winds and pea sized hail there. Looks like the good stuff hit downtown Lake Orion...glad you got a good storm dmc.

I honeslty have never seen hail here at my house. I have gotten some serious winds, and that weak tornado last year but never hail. Normal hail around here is quarter size hail and usually no bigger?

I've been wondering how much of a role microclimates play (I'm pretty sure this area, SE Macomb/NE Wayne, is one, this is confirmed by kab's lower snowfall numbers relative to other areas in the region every winter season). True, it's the luck of the draw to see significant weather anywhere, but in the microclimates around here it's really like pulling teeth.

The biggest snowstorm I've seen is 12", I've only seen thundersnow once and the biggest hail sizs I've seen is nickel (and I've only seen all hail with a t'storm once). It seems to be much easier to get significant weather outside the microclimates (see Ann Arbor-DTW-Downtown/Downriver corridor, Flint-Port Huron corridor, Pontiac-Auburn Hills-Lake Orion area, etc.). It's not unique just to our region either, I'm sure other regions in the country and world have these type of microclimates too.

I'm surprised you haven't seen anything significant as well, I figured some good would have happened during the event a week or two ago (June 22nd), nasty storms were all around you.

I've been wondering how much of a role microclimates play (I'm pretty sure this area, SE Macomb/NE Wayne, is one, this is confirmed by kab's lower snowfall numbers relative to other areas in the region every winter season). True, it's the luck of the draw to see significant weather anywhere, but in the microclimates around here it's really like pulling teeth.

The biggest snowstorm I've seen is 12", I've only seen thundersnow once and the biggest hail sizs I've seen is nickel (and I've only seen all hail with a t'storm once). It seems to be much easier to get significant weather outside the microclimates (see Ann Arbor-DTW-Downtown/Downriver corridor, Flint-Port Huron corridor, Pontiac-Auburn Hills-Lake Orion area, etc.). It's not unique just to our region either, I'm sure other regions in the country and world have these type of microclimates too.

I'm surprised you haven't seen anything significant as well, I figured some good would have happened during the event a week or two ago (June 22nd), nasty storms were all around you.

Yea, most of it falls under the category of "thats just the way it goes". On june 22nd the storms were all pretty small and they missed to the north. I was golfing that day in romeo and saw some lowering clouds with that tornado warned cell but my roomate back in macomb said we got a little rain. Some pretty impressive lightning today though. Also pretty impressive the way those storms down by detroit ignited out of nowhere.

Yea, most of it falls under the category of "thats just the way it goes". On june 22nd the storms were all pretty small and they missed to the north. I was golfing that day in romeo and saw some lowering clouds with that tornado warned cell but my roomate back in macomb said we got a little rain. Some pretty impressive lightning today though. Also pretty impressive the way those storms down by detroit ignited out of nowhere.

Thats how most convection goes, sure sometimes you have days like today, but those are not the rule but the exception.

Yep, pretty much in that Ann Arbor-DTW-Downriver/Downtown corridor. Actually wasn't that surprised, I practically expected that to happen.

Is it just me or does Extreme SW Ontario get rocked all the time?

I notice this, too. Even when it's sunny in Detroit, there is an MCS stretching across Essex and Kent counties moving southward over the lake. :whistle:

The storm was largely uneventful here. Got missed on all sides. Seriously. Oh well.

Nice Mammatus, still getting some distant CG to my SE. Very nice looking skies with the burnt orange tinge to it.

Thanks. Assuming the timing has to be just right to get skies like this. A lot of the times when we do get storms to fire, they happen after sunset. It's things like these skies that make me a weather enthusiast. My roomate gives me so much crap for getting excited on days like this.

I notice this, too. Even when it's sunny in Detroit, there is an MCS stretching across Essex and Kent counties moving southward over the lake. :whistle:

The storm was largely uneventful here. Got missed on all sides. Seriously. Oh well.

It was more powerful here. The winds took down a large part of a maple tree at my mom's apartment compex about 3 blocks from here. The line went thru about 7:45 and it's been off and on thunder and lightning since . Sounds like a storm is starting up again - radar is showing a healthy storm that is coming in from the west.

It was more powerful here. The winds took down a large part of a maple tree at my mom's apartment compex about 3 blocks from here. The line went thru about 7:45 and it's been off and on thunder and lightning since . Sounds like a storm is starting up again - radar is showing a healthy storm that is coming in from the west.

London + severe weather= always. If it's not super severe thunderstorms it's 6 feet of snow, or flash flooding. You name it, London has it! :thumbsup:

Sporadic lightning north of KW right now, a few good boomers, barely any rain. Fun, fun.

Archived