Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
June 29th - July 4th Severe Weather Threat

SEMIweather

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold front is well apparent on visible this morning. I figure less than two hours until its through MBY. Will anything big fire off? SPC says not until its further S/E.

Ya I have my doubts, it seems like they always end up firing to our southeast.

Lots of juice already with moisture pooling along and just southeast of the front, dew points in the low-mid 70's in northeast IL with DKB at 81/77.

Ya I have my doubts, it seems like they always end up firing to our southeast.

Lots of juice already with moisture pooling along and just southeast of the front, dew points in the low-mid 70's in northeast IL with DKB at 81/77.

Heading out for a bike/run now. Figure by the time I am really pushing my limits, winds will shift, dews will crash and I'll be refreshed to get the extra mile in. Cloud cover already overhead.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI

1053 AM EDT SAT JUL 2 2011

.UPDATE...

NO UPDATE PLANNED AS THIS TIME...AS WE WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR

THE COLD FRONT WHICH IS NOW SWINGING THROUGH LAKE MICHIGAN. A

CONDITIONAL CHANCE OF SEVERE REMAINS WITH MLCAPES CLIMBING BETWEEN

3000-4000 J/KG...BEST WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY 4-8 PM. PLANNING ON 18Z DTX

SOUNDING WHICH SHOULD HELP GAGE THE STRENGTH OF THE CAP IN PLACE.

SURFACE DEW PTS AROUND/LOWER 70S HAVE ARRIVED...COUPLED WITH MAXES

CLIMBING INTO THE LOW TO MID 90S WILL LEAD TO HEAT INDICES AROUND

A 100 DEGREES. BASED ON CURRENT TEMPERATURES TRENDS...CLOUD

COVER...AND CONVECTION POSSIBLE LATER THIS AFTERNOON...THE CURRENT

FORECASTED HIGHS MAY BE JUST A DEGREE OR TWO TOO HIGH...BUT FULLY

EXPECT TO REACH THE LOW END OF THE RANGE...THUS NO UPDATE.

And a DTX multimedia briefing.

We have some friends who apparently were doing a fishing charter and did make it back in to Waukegan before this all hit. They took cover in the basement of one of the marinas. I don't know if this was their location. They lost the windshield on their boat and said there were several flipped sailboat.

I'd say those high 75+ straight lines would have no issue doing all of that. I sent them the link to the pic and will see how they comment.

Good thing they made it back ashore in time. Could have gotten pretty ugly if they had been caught off shore in that. Yeah 75mph winds could definitely toss some boats around. It's possible the winds might have been even higher being right there on the flat and open water near shore.

Cold front just passed through here, so our severe threat is toast. What looked like an active holiday weekend has turned into a pretty benign weather pattern for us. Gonna be a nice weekend to be outside though.

Already 5000j/kg of cape southwest of Chicago based on 11am obs. Pretty damn impressive for so early. Should see some pretty decent storms later today along that front.

Edit: Non supercell tornado probs up over 1 in that area as well. Mid-upper level winds are unimpressive, but with so much instability already in place the storms won't have to rely as much on mid-upper level support to become severe.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1026 AM CDT SAT JUL 2 2011

DISCUSSION UPDATE

1025 AM CDT

COLD FRONT CONTINUES TO SLIP FURTHER SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS SE WI...NE AND W CENTRAL IL AND NE MO AS THE SHORT WAVE TROUGH ROTATES OVER WESTERN LAKE SUPERIOR...NW WI AND N CENTRAL IA.

TEMPERATURES ALREADY IN THE MID AND UPPER 80S AT 15Z WITH DEW POINTS MAINLY IN THE MID 70S RESULTING IN BAND OF HIGH CONDITIONAL INSTABILITY ALONG AND A BIT AHEAD OF THE THE COLD FRONT. MODEL PROGS OF VARIOUS INSTABILITY/ENERGY VALUES CONSISTENT IN SHIFTING THIS BAND S OF THE WESTERN PORTION OF THE FORECAST AREA BUT HAVE IT STILL LINGERING OVER THE SE COUNTIES OF THE FA AT 00Z AS THE MAIN PUSH OF THE SHORT WAVE TROUGH IS EASTWARD INTO THE NORTHER GREAT LAKES WHILE THE TAIL END TRAILS BACK TO THE SW.

BASED ON LATEST MODEL OUTPUT AND VSREF TIMING OF CONVECTIVE OUTBREAK CONSISTENT AT 20Z-21Z OVER FAR SOUTHERN LAKE MI AND S HALF OF CHI METRO AREA HAVE MAKE LITTLE CHANCE TO PREVIOUS FORECAST PACKAGE. ONLY TRIED TO PUT A LITTLE MORE REFINED TIMING AND PLACEMENT OF POPS FOR THE REST OF TODAY AND EARLY THIS EVE.

TRS

I suspect they're going to issue a Severe Thunderstorm Watch shortly.

Some storms are getting together near Cadillac and Big Rapids (MI).

It'll also be interesting to see if any t'storm cluster develops a cold pool and becomes an MCS. That would enhance the severe weather threat in light of the unimpressive shear.

I suspect they're going to issue a Severe Thunderstorm Watch shortly.

Some storms are getting together near Cadillac and Big Rapids (MI).

It'll also be interesting to see if any t'storm cluster develops a cold pool and becomes an MCS. That would enhance the severe weather threat in light of the unimpressive shear.

Warning up there now

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 583

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

225 PM EDT SAT JUL 2 2011

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 583 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM EDT

FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

MIC001-005-011-015-017-021-023-025-027-037-045-049-051-057-059-

063-065-067-069-073-075-077-081-087-091-093-099-107-111-115-117-

125-129-139-145-147-149-151-155-157-159-161-163-030300-

/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0583.110702T1825Z-110703T0300Z/

MI