• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
June 29th - July 4th Severe Weather Threat

SEMIweather

whatever's going on in altona and dominion city is heading southeast into northern MN. and the storms are looking nasty, even on the EC radars that i can get to. i wonder how much EC/MSC winnipeg is coordinating with GFK on these storms

Also that supercell that is just a hair south of Altona MB just went tornado warned for northeastern ND

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Altona was under a tornado warning today, is everything alright?

I saw on the news at some poiont that Brandon and Altona installed sirens. Lambton County ON has a network of tornado sirens, and so does the town of Elmira about 15km north of here. Other cities in Ontario probably have them too.

any idea what the guys and gals in oakville at TWN are saying on these storms in the way of observed weather?

For the first time in 25 minutes they mentioned "storm warnings in southern MB" now they are looking at the long range.

i am tempted here to get onto nwschat over at fgf to see what is going on. but i don't want to encourage work to call me in, and i'm on call this evening..

The tornado warnings have reached Ontario

SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 7:18 PM EDT MONDAY 4 JULY 2011.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHERN ONTARIO...

TORNADO WARNING FOR:
=NEW= KENORA - GRASSY NARROWS - WHITEDOG.

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH POTENTIAL FOR A TORNADO WILL MOVE
     THROUGH THE KENORA AREA BETWEEN 6:25 AND 6:45 CDT.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY PRODUCING TORNADOES ARE IMMINENT OR
     OCCURRING IN THE AREA. LARGE HAIL, DAMAGING WINDS AND HEAVY
     RAINFALL MAY ALSO ACCOMPANY THESE STORMS.

The tornado warnings have reached Ontario

SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 7:18 PM EDT MONDAY 4 JULY 2011.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHERN ONTARIO...

TORNADO WARNING FOR:
=NEW= KENORA - GRASSY NARROWS - WHITEDOG.

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH POTENTIAL FOR A TORNADO WILL MOVE
     THROUGH THE KENORA AREA BETWEEN 6:25 AND 6:45 CDT.

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS LIKELY PRODUCING TORNADOES ARE IMMINENT OR
     OCCURRING IN THE AREA. LARGE HAIL, DAMAGING WINDS AND HEAVY
     RAINFALL MAY ALSO ACCOMPANY THESE STORMS.

a very active night along the TCH indeed. hopefully sue johanson has her toys secured.

Eventful day here in southern Manitoba. Had a supercell blow up right over town late in the afternoon. Saw quarter sized hail, strong wind gusts, and very heavy rain. Some real close CG lightning, too.

As far as I know, there have been no confirmed reports of tornadoes here. There have been a couple softball sized hail reports, though. Car windows knocked out.

EMO triggers the emergency alert system 23 minutes after the tornado warning is issued

July 04, 2011 7:41 PM

THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO HAS ISSUED A RED ALERT

DUE TO A TORNADO WARNING IN NORTHWESTERN ONTARIO.

Emergency Situation: Environment Canada has issued a Tornado Warning for the communities of KENORA, GRASSY NARROWS and WHITEDOG.

Recommended Actions: Emergency Management Ontario recommends that persons in the area described above IMMEDIATELY shelter. Everyone in this area should immediately move indoors, and away from doors and windows, preferably into a basement area if that is possible. Do not pick up family members from schools, daycares and institutions such as hospitals and nursing homes. Plans are in place to protect them. People currently outside this area are advised not to enter this area until further notice. If it is safe to do so, pets and livestock should be removed quickly from outside. Do not call 911 for information about this emergency.

This Red Alert will end at 2030EDT/1930CDT unless a further extension is requested.

I thought a red alert was essentially equivalent to a tornado emergency in the states...

I don't understand the red alert system at all when it comes to weather warnings. You have Environment Canada who issue a tornado warning with vital and urgent need to know immediately info that the tornado will cross Kenora between 625pm and 645pm... then that warning is not broadcast to the public.

Then, EMO steps at some point, 23 minutes after the warning is issued tonight, and puts out an hour long, sometimes multiple hours long, warning for an area the size of New Hampshire, as in tonights example, saying a tornado warning is in effect and to stay out of the area. They don't even send out the EC tornado warning text, or do they even realize the tornado passed Kenora 10 minutes ago as per what the EC warning indicates.

Sometimes I don't understand Canada. :yikes:

It says on several websites that E. Canada can upgrade the tornado warning to a red alert if strong/violent tornadoes are possible.

The tornado warning article on Wikipedia says EMO may issue red alerts for tornado warnings in Ontario in the tornado emergency segment, it's misleading. EMO issues red alerts for all tornado warnings in Ontario. The red alert system is just the emergency alert system that was launched after the August 20 2009 tornado outbreak in the Greater Toronto Area. It's not really an emergency alert system since participation is voluntary and I think only two media outlets in Ontario actually broadcast the messages- CHCH Hamilton and some station in Cochrane.

One day this confusion is going to cost lives, i can just see it.

Exactly. How do these emergency managers and meteorologists actually think this system is sound and in working order ready for a real tornado emergency situation. There are so many things wrong with how Canada deals with tornadoes I don't even want to start listing them. From experience if you aren't sitting on Environment Canada's website to see a tornado warning has just been issued- if one is even issued at all- your only warning will be when the tornado arrives at your doorstep.

I can't say it's the same in other provinces, and not all WFO's even issue tornado warnings.

Are you storm chasing today Cmichweather?? You better be considering DMC is sitting right on GFK's doorstep.

LOL no, my GF won't let me i'm just watching the towers from my window. We are just about to head downtown for the fireworks. That storm to my east is looking pretty interesting right now.

LOL no, my GF won't let me i'm just watching the towers from my window. We are just about to head downtown for the fireworks. That storm to my east is looking pretty interesting right now.

Tell her the fireworks display will be much better to your east :whistle:

Archived