• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 29th - July 4th Severe Weather Threat

SEMIweather

I understand climate and I have said this several times. Considering minneapolis, most of the big cities on the east coast, chicago, dakotas, and other places all had a 15 inch + snow storm. Not into all of their climates but I am sure it's not normal for them either (pardon me for my ignorance here if I am wrong about other locations climates). So while it was snowy here which was nice, we didn't get the big one. Thats a fact and I am not complaining. Everyone on here think SE MI posters are whining/complaining when we say what really happened. I don't expect a 18 inch snowstorm every year. I expect atleast one 12 inch plus storm and a rare 15-20 inch one once every 2-3 years. The fact that alot of areas had one last year just puts a slight damper on the record snowfall last year. Done trying to explain myself and several of the MI posters that get criticized, (whether your joking or not) it gets old. Hope everyone has a happy 4th of July. God bless our troops.

You might have better luck if you move to the Sierra Nevada Range then.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand climate and I have said this several times. Considering minneapolis, most of the big cities on the east coast, chicago, dakotas, and other places all had a 15 inch + snow storm. Not into all of their climates but I am sure it's not normal for them either (pardon me for my ignorance here if I am wrong about other locations climates). So while it was snowy here which was nice, we didn't get the big one. Thats a fact and I am not complaining. Everyone on here think SE MI posters are whining/complaining when we say what really happened. I don't expect a 18 inch snowstorm every year. I expect atleast one 12 inch plus storm and a rare 15-20 inch one once every 2-3 years. The fact that alot of areas had one last year just puts a slight damper on the record snowfall last year. Done trying to explain myself and several of the MI posters that get criticized, (whether your joking or not) it gets old. Hope everyone has a happy 4th of July. God bless our troops.

lol... good luck with that. As others posted that's a once in 10 years type of event (12"+)

And if it's a "rare 15-20 inch storm", why would you expect one every 2.5 years.

EDIT: Heck, TOL has only had 5, 12"+ storms since 1900.

lol... good luck with that. As others posted that's a once in 10 years type of event (12"+)

And if it's a "rare 15-20 inch storm", why would you expect one every 2.5 years.

EDIT: Heck, TOL has only had 5, 12"+ storms since 1900.

Shaping up to be a classic summer up that way. Just 0.56" of rain at TOL since May 29th, which is 12.5% of normal. These are the numbers for TOL since 5/29:

Avg. High: 83.8 (+4.4)

Avg. Low: 60.1 (+2.1)

No. of 90+ Days: 11

Precipitation: 0.56" (-3.90")

The last three days at TOL ran 91, 98, and 90, and at TDZ 95, 100, and 94. No relief in sight with temps generally above normal (mid to upper 80s) and minimal rainfall over the next week or longer (only chance is Wednesday afternoon and night).

Here are pics from the storm last night at Comerica Park, along with a video, and then some of the standing water and downed branches that were still evident when I got home around 1 a.m. The sky was creepy as many in SE MI commented it was a black/orange color. My pic makes it look orange/pink, but it was more orange.

2887-800.jpg

2888-800.jpg

2889-800.jpg

2890-800.jpg

2891-800.jpg

2892-800.jpg

2893-800.jpg

2894-800.jpg

2895-800.jpg

Understanding local climo goes a long way. If you're in southeast Michigan and you're expecting a 18" storm every year or even every 5 years, you're going to be disappointed.

This, also the same goes for expecting every storm or watch to yield major convection.

I'm sorry but climo clearly would state that anything above 14" is extremely rare and there was complaining about snow amounts when its foolish to complain about not getting 15" when the area received 12"

This, also the same goes for expecting every storm or watch to yield major convection.

Yup. Detroit has snow records going back 131 years and precip records 141 years, and weve just notched the 5th snowiest winter and 2nd wettest spring on record. No one anywhere will get everything they want out of the weather, but there really should NOT be complaining in SE MI this year. LOL how much complaining would a normal year yield? or perhaps a crummy winter with one good snowstorm or crummy summer with one severe outbreak, would that please those who yearn for an extreme event, which is so brief, instead of excessive snow/storms spanning over an ENTIRE season? The 16" snowdepth at DTW this Feb was the deepest since 24" in Jan 1999.

I'm sorry but climo clearly would state that anything above 14" is extremely rare and there was complaining about snow amounts when its foolish to complain about not getting 15" when the area received 12"

Dont expect every storm to yield major convection. Maybe 2-3 out of 7. Just normal I guess for the storms to produce more further west .Also I live north of detroit and I have had a few 12-14 inch snowstorms the past 4-5 years but nothing over 15 inches. We usually do better than say detroit/toledo. I suppose my expectations are too high but I can't help being a extreme weather enthusiast. And once again I am not complaining, just saying the lack of a big event (there were several last winter) put a little damper on the overall winter.

Yeah tbh we've had a good season here thus far with 5/23, 5/29, 5/31, 6/8, 6/21, 6/22, and 7/2 producing to some extent thus far.

Exactly, just because convection doesn't hit your specific location doesn't mean that it didn't produce. Hell yesterday my area in Macomb County missed the brunt of the storm. Would I consider yesterday a bust? Maybe if I was crazy, but thats how some posts come off if their specific location doesn't receive storms. Rarely does an entire area get hit with storms evenly.

Dont expect every storm to yield major convection. Maybe 2-3 out of 7. Just normal I guess for the storms to produce more further west .Also I live north of detroit and I have had a few 12-14 inch snowstorms the past 4-5 years but nothing over 15 inches. We usually do better than say detroit/toledo. I suppose my expectations are too high but I can't help being a extreme weather enthusiast. And once again I am not complaining, just saying the lack of a big event (there were several last winter) put a little damper on the overall winter.

Your expectations are too high though, I mean you had a few 12-14" storms. It's silly to get bent out of shape over not breaking the 15" mark. As for the convection yielding better to the west issue, there are a few reasons. One typically more instability to the West across Central Michigan, two we have Lake St. Clair/Huron/Erie influencing the area. Lastly the slope of the area is such that we have a downsloping effect from the Irish Hills to the West all the way to Lake St. Clair/Huron/Erie

This last page or so is a prime example of why some of you need to stop posting.

Yet another thread turned into a Michigan clusterf*ck.

Some people just need to understand their climatology records, there is a reason this data is kept.

Central Saskatchewan... it says CST but I think it's MST

TORNADO WARNING
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA
AT 7:58 PM CST SUNDAY 3 JULY 2011.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
TORNADO WARNING FOR:
=NEW= R.M. OF WREFORD INCLUDING NOKOMIS AND VENN
=NEW= R.M. OF MOUNT HOPE INCLUDING SEMANS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==DISCUSSION==
ENVIRONMENT CANADA METEOROLOGISTS ARE TRACKING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM
CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO.

AT 7:50 PM CST DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED THAT THIS STORM WAS NEAR
NOKOMIS AND WAS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST AT 40 KM/H.

IN ADDITION TO A TORNADO, THIS THUNDERSTORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO
PRODUCE DESTRUCTIVE GOLF BALL SIZED HAIL.

Here are pics from the storm last night at Comerica Park, along with a video, and then some of the standing water and downed branches that were still evident when I got home around 1 a.m. The sky was creepy as many in SE MI commented it was a black/orange color. My pic makes it look orange/pink, but it was more orange.

2893-800.jpg

really like this pic. :thumbsup:

This last page or so is a prime example of why some of you need to stop posting.

Yet another thread turned into a Michigan clusterf*ck.

Yeah, it's getting old. Real old. We had actual severe weather going on today and what happens in the severe weather thread? MI people bitching about not getting severe weather. They should have their own section of the forum or just one sticky thread "Mi people b**ch here, leave the rest of the threads b**ch free."

Yeah, it's getting old. Real old. We had actual severe weather going on today and what happens in the severe weather thread? MI people bitching about not getting severe weather. They should have their own section of the forum or just one sticky thread "Mi people b**ch here, leave the rest of the threads b**ch free."

It's even stupider because as I said, 7/2 has been the biggest outbreak so far this year in DTX's CWA. And yes I realize I am contributing to the problem with this post, so this will be my last post about it...

Sounds like Essex County is one step closer to outdoor storm sirens

http://www.windsorstar.com/Storm+Rocks+Windsor+intense+like+never+seen/5041773/story.html

The Windsor Star has become an outpost for angry articles directed at the media and government for not utilizing their abilities to warn the public. Detroit tv stations have begun addressing Essex County weather emergencies because Ontario stations won't interrupt programming or even scroll weather bulletins. Anyway, Essex County and Monroe County Michigan are apparently working on a tornado siren system for the county.

The thread was dead and there wasn't much severe weather. There was maybe one page of our discussuon. Acting like its a chore to click your mouse and skip the page. Sure it might not be the best place and make it hard to pick out the severe weather discussion for one page as a result of clearing the air on a few things, but it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Instead people have to complain. Ever think your complaining about MI posters just compounds the issue. I don't complain. I was STATING that up until this severe event we had been 0-7 in my neck of the woods. Several people said I'm expecting convection every time and that's not the case. Just simple stating it has been absent. I can't help it there are a lot of Michigan posters. We were having a civil discussion. Relax. Every one needs to relax and stop thinking everytime someone from Michigan posts that's its complaining or exaggerate and take things out of context. As far as winter goes I understand climate but when several locations get a snow storm that's bigger than their climate suggests and we don't it just makes you wanting more and be a part of that storm. Just my opinion and not complaining. This is my last post on here. Should be able to post my opinion and facts without everyone saying "there's another MI poster bitching and whining. There's goes another thread all about Michigan. Maybe the threads all about MI because alot of the posters live/or are from there? And if the mods thought it was neccessary and "out of control" don't you think they would've created a MI thread? It derailed the thread for one page. Life goes on. More important things to worry about. Rant is over. Take care guys.

Sounds like Essex County is one step closer to outdoor storm sirens

http://www.windsorst...1773/story.html

The Windsor Star has become an outpost for angry articles directed at the media and government for not utilizing their abilities to warn the public. Detroit tv stations have begun addressing Essex County weather emergencies because Ontario stations won't interrupt programming or even scroll weather bulletins. Anyway, Essex County and Monroe County Michigan are apparently working on a tornado siren system for the county.

I think it's a good idea for more Canadian communities to do this. I live in a small town (pop 3,000) in southern MB and we had warning sirens installed last year.

Latest HRRR runs explode convection in southern Manitoba and northern North Dakota by early to mid afternoon. Supercell structures are possible early with a slight risk of a tornado but things looks to merge quickly into a big time squall line, tracking southeast.

I think it's a good idea for more Canadian communities to do this. I live in a small town (pop 3,000) in southern MB and we had warning sirens installed last year.

Altona was under a tornado warning today, is everything alright?

I saw on the news at some poiont that Brandon and Altona installed sirens. Lambton County ON has a network of tornado sirens, and so does the town of Elmira about 15km north of here. Other cities in Ontario probably have them too.

Archived