• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
June 29th - July 4th Severe Weather Threat

SEMIweather

I met him once in Iowa (the day of the Mapleton tornado) and he seemed a little odd, but he also claimed to be a National Weather Service Meteorologist. He added me on facebook and the more I watched, the more I became suspicious as there is no mention of him working for the NWS on his facebook page and he chases like every day of the year. When he pulled up and talked to us that day in Iowa, he told us that he had just chased the Mapleton, Iowa tornado and that there were "dozens" of fatalities. Obviously that wasn't anywhere close to being accurate.

Some people are that way, because their personality is so dysfunctional, and their self esteem so low, they say whatever comes to mind to feel, or look important to others. People like that are everywhere. What does this guy look like? Last time LOT had their open house, I took the kids there for the tour, and there was a highly annoying individual there talking about tornados, his storm chasing, and he was actually trying to "one up" the met who was giving the tour.

I can't remember what he was saying exactly, but he ticked off some other people that were in our group, and when we got outside another guy who is in our group tore into him big time and basically told him, (in expletive laden speech) to be quiet.

IIRC, this guy was short, had glasses, very short hair, almost a crew cut, and was probably between 35 and 40.....

He was also being rather annoying at the outdoor displays as well...

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway.. .last night's light show was pretty fantastic... I haven't seen that much lightning in quite some time...

I was outside after work with the camera, taking some long exposure shots... hopefullly I got some good stuff..

Anyway.. .last night's light show was pretty fantastic... I haven't seen that much lightning in quite some time...

I was outside after work with the camera, taking some long exposure shots... hopefullly I got some good stuff..

Still ongoing in Valpo. It has been nearly continuous thunder since 8pm last night. The radar looks like something out of November with squalls coming down the lake. Quite bizarre.

Still ongoing in Valpo. It has been nearly continuous thunder since 8pm last night. The radar looks like something out of November with squalls coming down the lake. Quite bizarre.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1034 AM CDT FRI JUL 01 2011

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

1030 AM FLASH FLOOD VALPARAISO 41.48N 87.05W

07/01/2011 PORTER IN TRAINED SPOTTER

WATER ON US-30 IN VALPARAISO IS 3 TO 4 INCHES DEEP AND

RAPIDLY RISING.

Mike Caplan was talking about it on his Fb and mentioned Corfidi vectors..

You could see some signs this was going to happen yesterday as clouds on visible were taking hard right turns around the bend, hi-res guidance did pretty well too. PWATS up over 2" now over southern Lake Michigan.

Another batch of storms moving southwest toward Lake and Porter counties. Almost looks like a bit of a circulation on KLOT reflectivity.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SPECIAL MARINE WARNING

1254 PM CDT FRI JUL 1 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING FOR...

NEARSHORE WATERS FROM NORTHERLY ISLAND TO MICHIGAN CITY...

OPEN WATERS FROM WILMETTE HARBOR TO MICHIGAN CITY OUT TO MID LAKE...

* UNTIL 200 PM CDT

* AT 1251 PM CDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A THUNDERSTORM...CAPABLE OF PRODUCING STRONG WINDS 34 KNOTS OR GREATER AND LARGE HAIL 10 NM NORTHEAST OF CALUMET HARBOR...MOVING SOUTH AT 15 KNOTS.

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SPECIAL MARINE WARNING

1254 PM CDT FRI JUL 1 2011

* SPECIAL MARINE WARNING FOR...

NEARSHORE WATERS FROM NORTHERLY ISLAND TO MICHIGAN CITY...

OPEN WATERS FROM WILMETTE HARBOR TO MICHIGAN CITY OUT TO MID LAKE...

* UNTIL 200 PM CDT

* AT 1251 PM CDT...DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A THUNDERSTORM...CAPABLE OF PRODUCING STRONG WINDS 34 KNOTS OR GREATER AND LARGE HAIL 10 NM NORTHEAST OF CALUMET HARBOR...MOVING SOUTH AT 15 KNOTS.

Getting lots of scud from that bad boy, looks wicked over the lake.

Getting lots of scud from that bad boy, looks wicked over the lake.

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... SOUTHEASTERN COOK COUNTY IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS... NORTHERN LAKE COUNTY IN NORTHWEST INDIANA...* UNTIL 215 PM CDT

* AT 110 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 5 MILES NORTHEAST OF EAST CHICAGO...AND MOVING SOUTH AT 20 MPH.* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... WHITING...EAST CHICAGO...BURNHAM...HAMMOND...GARY...DOLTON...LAKE STATION...CALUMET CITY...HOBART...LANSING...HIGHLAND...MUNSTER... GRIFFITH...GLENWOOD...LYNWOOD...MERRILLVILLE...SCHERERVILLE...ST. JOHN...LAKES OF THE FOUR SEASONS AND CROWN POINT.

Anyone see the spotter network reports from Joshua David up there? :arrowhead:

"its green, i repeat the storm is green not blue"

:lmao:

"rotating wall cloud( couldn't report because mutiple bubbles aren't allowed) wind over 80 mph. funnel cloud reported and confirmed. some minor damage. i repeat this storm is green. not blue, green. no hail. very bad lightning and very bad wind."

"rotating wall cloud( couldn't report because mutiple bubbles aren't allowed) wind over 80 mph. funnel cloud reported and confirmed. some minor damage. i repeat this storm is green. not blue, green. no hail. very bad lightning and very bad wind."

Haha 80 MPH winds...funny...

And another one...

"very bad wind. low wall cloud. very high wind. can be tornado. i donot no. may have to sound the sirens very high winds"

And the Spotter Network quality review:

"RQC #2 - are you fracking kidding me? this should be an insta-ban. Maybe one of the worst reports ever received on SpotterNetwork"

:banned:

Hmmm winds starting to shift to the SW, humidity, and temps are starting to creep up. Looking a bit brighter out there.... I'm working in the basement so I can't really tell. Can't break away from the phones long enough to check.

Been sitting here between phone calls watching the mercury tick up a tenth of a degree every few minutes or so, and the winds are going more southerly, and starting to gust a bit from the SW....

Thunderstorm complex in NW IN is decaying on radar.

Humidity is also ticking up.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SIOUX FALLS SD

413 PM CDT FRI JUL 1 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SIOUX FALLS HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN LYON COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST MINNESOTA...

* UNTIL 445 PM CDT

* AT 413 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE

TRACKING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING HALF DOLLAR

SIZE HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 80 MPH. THIS STORM

WAS LOCATED NEAR CAMDEN STATE PARK...OR 9 MILES SOUTHWEST OF

MARSHALL...AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...

MARSHALL AROUND 420 PM CDT...

COTTONWOOD AROUND 430 PM CDT...

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN

437 PM CDT FRI JUL 1 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN THE TWIN CITIES HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHEASTERN REDWOOD COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST MINNESOTA...

SOUTH CENTRAL RENVILLE COUNTY IN CENTRAL MINNESOTA...

* UNTIL 500 PM CDT

* AT 431 PM CDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO NEAR

SEAFORTH. RADAR SHOWED THE TORNADIC STORM MOVING AT EAST AT 50 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE...

REDWOOD FALLS...

SEAFORTH...

NORTH REDWOOD...

MORTON...

FRANKLIN...

DELHI...

FRANKLIN...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

WHEN A TORNADO WARNING IS ISSUED BASED ON RADAR...IT MEANS THAT

STRONG ROTATION HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE STORM. A TORNADO MAY ALREADY

BE ON THE GROUND...OR IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SHORTLY.

Archived