Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Pics vids chase stories from Day of the Twisters SNE style

Ginx snewx

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some coverage from yesterday in Springfield and Brimfield. My stories in there have some incredible damage shots.

Nice Ryan, first piece you said house moved off foundation and foundation moved? Also was that two by four inside the house poking out not speared into the house, just wondering.

• 1 month later...

I drove through the tornado damage in two areas over the past week... Southbridge and Sturbridge areas... very impressive to see first-hand.

A few pics while driving by... sorry, they are blurry. But man these trees are going to look like this for a very long time.

This is Sturbridge just off the Pike.

Some from Southbridge, MA on RT 169... amazing forest destruction.

I have no idea how this person's house is still standing... the tornado tore a hole into the hillside behind his house. Not one tree was left standing in a path of woods that went up over the hill beyond the house.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I have to make a comment. While I love to look at all the video folks really need to remember a few key things about shooting.

1. Dont walk around and shoot......take some vid while NOT MOVING and then reposition yourself for the next shot/scene and start shooting again.

2. Learn how to pan and zoom. Panning too fast is one of the most annoying things while watching amatuer video. Pan so slow as to seem annoying to YOU while shooting and thats about right for viewing.

3. Zoom. Learn to capture scale and movement with respect to distance. I.E. dont zoom in on something when moving out slightly can capture better scale and more surroundings, especially with weather events.

4. Learn how to be SMOOTH while holding the camera..it takes a bit of concentration and this is one of the first things that goes out the window when you are excited.

I guess some video is better than none..but man..its really annoying to watch the herky jerky, poorly composed, and badly zoomed video I see so often.

Very nice suggestion, but... I was there, shot HD video of the wall cloud stage on high grade gear, and had a lot of trouble keeping the camera on objects

that I could prop it on. Not only that, debris was falling around me, I was on the phone with BOX, and I got hit with hail. Its easier to think these things after the fact, not so easy

to do when you are watching buildings get destroyed 1/3 mile away.

Ray

Nice Ryan, first piece you said house moved off foundation and foundation moved? Also was that two by four inside the house poking out not speared into the house, just wondering.

There were (they have been demolished) several houses moved off foundations, and the remaing foundation damaged.

Some houses in the Island Pond Rd area in Springfield had both tree limbs and twoxfours embedded in the walls from the exterior.

Ray

Looks like the tornado meandered on a path about two miles above the Connecticut border just south of the Mass Pike starting in Westfield. I still havent heard of any damage in Wilbraham and Palmer, two towns in the direct path, you hear of any damage there Will or did it basically bounce over those two towns and come back down in Monson?

Wilbraham had significant damage. It missed palmer a bit, Monson was right adjacent to Wilbraham where it went.

Ray

Wilbraham definitely had some damage, but I haven't seen or heard anything about Palmer, MA. I think it probably skipped over there and then touched back down in Wilbraham and then went to town once it reached Monson. It looked liked most of the Wilbraham stuff was EF1 type damage.

It never left the ground after it hit in West Springfield. It skipped a little between Granville, Westfield, and where it hit in Agawam.

Ray

Can someone show that video where it shows the actual genesis? It's the one the has a beautiful shot of the wall cloud. It's not the one messenger posted..it was earlier in that thread. Lets get it in here.

i took that, search for weather01089 on youtube. I posted it there.

Ray

Wilbraham definitely had some damage, but I haven't seen or heard anything about Palmer, MA. I think it probably skipped over there and then touched back down in Wilbraham and then went to town once it reached Monson. It looked liked most of the Wilbraham stuff was EF1 type damage.

Wilbraham was one area that we did not directly survey, at least on June 2. However, we do have a lot of photos from the SKYWARN people that I plan on incorporating into my show. The tornado went just south of Palmer.

Also, if you go to the NCDC Storm Data site, they have posted the report on the tornado there. They do mention that at least 13 homes were destroyed in Wilbraham.

It never left the ground after it hit in West Springfield. It skipped a little between Granville, Westfield, and where it hit in Agawam.

Ray

Well, Ray, it was tough to see the funnel in West Springfield, at least on this video from the WWLP web cam. Look at the first few minutes. You can see the funnel, but not much debris in it. BTW, this is an excellent review of what happened near the Connecticut River. This video goes about 15 minutes, and shows some damage near the river about 5 minutes or so into it.

http://www.wwlp.com/dpp/news/video-june-1-2011-tornado

--Turtle

Wilbraham was one area that we did not directly survey, at least on June 2. However, we do have a lot of photos from the SKYWARN people that I plan on incorporating into my show. The tornado went just south of Palmer.

Also, if you go to the NCDC Storm Data site, they have posted the report on the tornado there. They do mention that at least 13 homes were destroyed in Wilbraham.

Well, Ray, it was tough to see the funnel in West Springfield, at least on this video from the WWLP web cam. Look at the first few minutes. You can see the funnel, but not much debris in it. BTW, this is an excellent review of what happened near the Connecticut River. This video goes about 15 minutes, and shows some damage near the river about 5 minutes or so into it.

http://www.wwlp.com/...-1-2011-tornado

--Turtle

True, I could see the rotating wall/funnel cloud (turns out the "wall" cloud was really a wide funnel) , but the only indication it was on the ground in West Springfield to me was when the debris started flying. There was plenty of debris though,

it was even falling at my feet. I posted the video on youtube of it. The Central Chevrolet crew got the best video of that, they were about 1500 ft away. I was about 1/3 miile away. You see that a lot

of that in the midwest chases. The bottom of the funnel doesnt show well until it picks up enough dirt or debris to show well.WWLP's video is just incredible. You can see the multiple vortices in it both in Eastern

West Springfield, then again in the south end of Springfield.

Archived