joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pics vids chase stories from Day of the Twisters SNE style

Ginx snewx

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I left my house at around 330. Plan was to head toward BDL. Got near there, headed toward springfield cause Ryan was talking about how much rotation the storm west of Springfield had. Got on 91 north, got into downtown springfield and saw the funnel dropping. Told my brother to get off the exit, we saw the tornado hit the ground (from kinda far) and got it on video. Then, we headed east on 90 and made it toward Worcester. Went to Monson, damage was INCREDIBLE. Must be ef3-ef4 damage. Cars wrapped around trees, houses nearly leveled. Unbelievable. Incredible storm on the way back in springfield again too...eerie green sky. I'll put together the video tomorrow and post it.

So I left my house at around 330. Plan was to head toward BDL. Got near there, headed toward springfield cause Ryan was talking about how much rotation the storm west of Springfield had. Got on 91 north, got into downtown springfield and saw the funnel dropping. Told my brother to get off the exit, we saw the tornado hit the ground (from kinda far) and got it on video. Then, we headed east on 90 and made it toward Worcester. Went to Monson, damage was INCREDIBLE. Must be ef3-ef4 damage. Cars wrapped around trees, houses nearly leveled. Unbelievable. Incredible storm on the way back in springfield again too...eerie green sky. I'll put together the video tomorrow and post it.

Thanks look forward to seeing it

Glad Ryan got into Monson....uploading the photos I have..... I couldn't get into Monson or Brimfield - was going to walk into Monson but I was there when the third cell was going over and decided it probably wasn't the smartest thing to walk in those conditions the mile or so it was to the worst damage area.

I have also heard that Brimfield was hit very badly. Text from a girl in Holland I used to party with who knows a lot of people in Brimfield said that it was bad and houses were gone. A woman that was turning around traffic said the same thing when I tried to get into Brimfield from Wales. I tried getting in from the east on Route 20 but it was blocked off near Holland Road.

These are tornado aftermath pics from Monson, MA. Downtown Monson is in a valley with a steep range of hills both to the west and the east. The tornado seems to have done it's worst damage (F3?) in the valley just to the east of downtown with some homes totally destroyed, the winds having likely been focused and concentrated as the funnel began to encounter the ridge to the east of downtown. One of the pictures looks down on some of this damage from the yard of friends of ours. To say the least vistas have opened up not witnessed in many a year-- a tragic loss of trees. The First Church has once again lost its steeple, having experienced this once before in the 1938 hurricane. I got to the scene about 45 minutes after the tornado's passage. The pictures looking down the road are to the south towards the center of town. The smoke in one of them is from a still live wire. Luckily, no reports of fatalities at least as yet, though a number of injuries, not surprisingly.

post-3067-0-67189400-1306984652.jpegpost-3067-0-05628000-1306984595.jpegpost-3067-0-50503400-1306984570.jpegpost-3067-0-32398500-1306984541.jpegpost-3067-0-10967100-1306984460.jpeg

A couple more from Monson, one of a car upended next to a tree right next to my friends' home that is across Main Street from the library. The other shows slate pieces from the library roof imbedded in a porch area of the house. Their home suffered heavy damage, but they're o.k. Two of them had just returned home, and made a good decision to flee to the basement as opposed to waiting it out in their car. The windows in it are all smashed, and they might well have been severely injured had they stayed.

post-3067-0-96757900-1306985845.jpegpost-3067-0-18636300-1306985878.jpeg

Not as good of pictures as I had hoped....but watched all this from work, while on the air, in Willimantic......got off at 6 and headed right to Sturbridge. First and second picture is from I-84,

20110601183623.jpg

20110601183636.jpg

This was on Sturbridge/Brimfield line on Rt. 20 - tried to get onto Route 20 to get into Brimfield and then Monson...but it was blocked off shortly after.

20110601184752.jpg

Doubled back to Sturbridge as another tornado warned cell was on the way. No tornado. Clouds were rotating but very broadly

20110601190843.jpg

20110601191308.jpg

The tornado went over I-84 right here....and twisted trees and this overhead highway sign off of the highway.

20110601192101.jpg

20110601192455.jpg

20110601192535.jpg

20110601192600.jpg

20110601192725.jpg

20110601192954.jpg

20110601192959.jpg

20110601193013.jpg

That wall of trees was 1/4 mile thick. When I got there several guys were trying to walk through it to make sure there were no cars stuck underneath. There were also trees just straight torn out of the ground as shown.

After Sturbridge, I tried to get into Brimfield from Wales and could not, tried to get into Monson from the south several places and could not, so eventually just headed back towards Springfield.

This picture was from Springfield, near Springfield College, which had damage but not much. The sign was stuck on 97 mph. Very interesting....debris?

20110601213542.jpg

20110601213937.jpg

Second picture is near the Flynn Center on Springfield College campus, area had been cleaned up but still quite a few trees around.

The hardest hit areas of Springfield were the South End near Main Street and Court Square, and Roosevelt Ave/Sixteen Acres near Cathedral High School....roads I drive every day were impassible. Apparently on the other side of Watershops Pond (south side) towards Plumtree Road it was an absolute warzone. I couldn't get there on foot, wouldn't have mattered as everything was pitch black. Disappointed I couldn't get to Brimfield or Monson but certainly understand the reasons why. Crazy, crazy stuff.

The following are pictures from my home in Monson, about 4 miles to the northwest from the stricken downtown. The hail, near golf ball size, the biggest I've ever seen, sure got my attention due to its association with tornadic activity. Just after it stopped I noticed the very agitated clouds as seen in the other two pictures, looking S.E. across the pond. I'm not sure they are of the funnel itself, but definitely of the associated meso-cyclone. We were very fortunate here to have gotten by with but a hail cracked glass table. We feel for all those in Monson and so many other communities who have been so devastated by today's violent weather.

post-3067-0-67698800-1306986874.jpeg

post-3067-0-01108800-1306986946.jpeg

post-3067-0-72998300-1306987009.jpeg

Heres the video...starts out in springfield with the genesis of the tornado , we got off the highway and filmed the debris cloud through those apartment buildings. You can see the tornado well around 2:55 or 3:55 can't remember atm...then the town of Monson is later on with utter devastation. Videos/pictures don't do it justice. unbelievable...

Heres the video...starts out in springfield with the genesis of the tornado , we got off the highway and filmed the debris cloud through those apartment buildings. You can see the tornado well around 2:55 or 3:55 can't remember atm...then the town of Monson is later on with utter devastation. Videos/pictures don't do it justice. unbelievable...

?

not my YT account, ignore any silly videos which are associated with it please. Just threw this together fast.

turned the volume of the voices way down to keep it friendly for everyone to watch.

Nice video, but... no offense, dude, but was your camera in a fishbowl or something?

Archived