joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pics vids chase stories from Day of the Twisters SNE style

Ginx snewx

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I have to make a comment. While I love to look at all the video folks really need to remember a few key things about shooting.

1. Dont walk around and shoot......take some vid while NOT MOVING and then reposition yourself for the next shot/scene and start shooting again.

2. Learn how to pan and zoom. Panning too fast is one of the most annoying things while watching amatuer video. Pan so slow as to seem annoying to YOU while shooting and thats about right for viewing.

3. Zoom. Learn to capture scale and movement with respect to distance. I.E. dont zoom in on something when moving out slightly can capture better scale and more surroundings, especially with weather events.

4. Learn how to be SMOOTH while holding the camera..it takes a bit of concentration and this is one of the first things that goes out the window when you are excited.

I guess some video is better than none..but man..its really annoying to watch the herky jerky, poorly composed, and badly zoomed video I see so often.

apparently "dude" is the single most commonly used word during and immediately after a tornado.

...followed closely behind by a more predictable collection of nouns and adjectives.

I was secretly hoping someone in the videos would say the tornado was "wicked retarded".

Ok, I have to make a comment. While I love to look at all the video folks really need to remember a few key things about shooting.

1. Dont walk around and shoot......take some vid while NOT MOVING and then reposition yourself for the next shot/scene and start shooting again.

2. Learn how to pan and zoom. Panning too fast is one of the most annoying things while watching amatuer video. Pan so slow as to seem annoying to YOU while shooting and thats about right for viewing.

3. Zoom. Learn to capture scale and movement with respect to distance. I.E. dont zoom in on something when moving out slightly can capture better scale and more surroundings, especially with weather events.

4. Learn how to be SMOOTH while holding the camera..it takes a bit of concentration and this is one of the first things that goes out the window when you are excited.

I guess some video is better than none..but man..its really annoying to watch the herky jerky, poorly composed, and badly zoomed video I see so often.

lol, get a grip. Take what you can get. If you want folks who just lived through a tornado to take professional video, keep dreaming.

Interesting video. I'm slightly confused by it. The funnel remained in the distance, yet they seemed to get some kind of damage right at their location. I guess it was some peripheral winds or inflow.

Winds do not seem bad enough to break the glass out then drop the sign later in that vid. maybe they had some damage before the vid was taken?

surely you can't be serious. ;)

do you think that maybe the people shooting the video were a little excited, seeing as most had probably never seen a tornado before?

Lighten up, francis.

Yeah, perhaps that's it. I can't quite make sense of what's happening at that location and when.

Can someone post the jaw-dropping pics of Monson?

Bob, (ETauntonMA) posted the link, but they are flying around to different areas. They were in Monson earlier.

I agree. I was in Sturbridge looking at the damage last night when the 2nd one hit. Damage from the first one was extensive.

I came thru there about 6:10 last night about 10-15 minutes after the TOR. I saw the flipped over cars in the media, the twisted metal signs..and every single tree snapped, stripped etc..Then when i got off the hgwy on route 20..that damage was almost catostrophic in some spots..Most of those side rds were closed off..so we couldn't even see the worst of it

These are tornado aftermath pics from Monson, MA. Downtown Monson is in a valley with a steep range of hills both to the west and the east. The tornado seems to have done it's worst damage (F3?) in the valley just to the east of downtown with some homes totally destroyed, the winds having likely been focused and concentrated as the funnel began to encounter the ridge to the east of downtown. One of the pictures looks down on some of this damage from the yard of friends of ours. To say the least vistas have opened up not witnessed in many a year-- a tragic loss of trees. The First Church has once again lost its steeple, having experienced this once before in the 1938 hurricane. I got to the scene about 45 minutes after the tornado's passage. The pictures looking down the road are to the south towards the center of town. The smoke in one of them is from a still live wire. Luckily, no reports of fatalities at least as yet, though a number of injuries, not surprisingly.

Great pictures! Incredible damage...just something you don't expect in SNE.

Have a friend whose wife is from Sturbridge. Said she saw pictures from the street she grew up on and didn't even recognize it. The house her parents had lived in for 10-year lost its roof.

I'll be driving home through Springfield tomorrow...not sure if I'm happy or disappointed this event didn't happen tomorrow.

Archived