• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Pics vids chase stories from Day of the Twisters SNE style

Ginx snewx

To see a debris ball cutting through central mass is almost mind boggling. You see this in other areas of the country, but I don't know....you just never really picture that here. Obviously it could happen, but when I saw that...you just knew it would be historic.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The radar definitely exploded just as the storm passed by downtown Monson, it was pretty freaky to see it actually. I wonder if they will consider it two separate tornadoes. I'm not familiar with how much of a gap is needed in damage to consider it two different tornadoes. If the gap was only like a half mile or a mile, then I'd guess its still one tornado, but if its like 5+ miles, then what?

I don't know that's a really good question.

The gap in Wilbraham is pretty small. There was damage in town but it looks relatively minor compared to what happened east and west. Some EF-1 damage that seems relatively sporadic. That video definitely shows the tornado had lifted for at least a period of time though.

The scan with debris ball that we saw immediately following the hit on Monson is incredible.

It's a matter of time before one of these guys tapes his death, or a mass of storm chasers get killed from tornadoes.

it's mostly random public acting stupid.. not that storm chasers dont take too many risks from time to time. im not convinced it's something new though.. just more people have video cams.

It's a matter of time before one of these guys tapes his death, or a mass of storm chasers get killed from tornadoes.

Probably has already just the tape is not released, but the guy in West Springfield really had plenty of time to escape, damn great video though!

To see a debris ball cutting through central mass is almost mind boggling. You see this in other areas of the country, but I don't know....you just never really picture that here. Obviously it could happen, but when I saw that...you just knew it would be historic.

I can't imagine what a debris ball from the Worcester 1953 storm would look like on today's radar.

The overhead views of Monson and Brimfield are gut wrenching. Can't believe there haven't been more casulties.

Not directly related...but not sure where I should post this.

Anyway, it is amazing to see the ignorance some people have about yesterday. Most people that I talked to take it as a complete joke...and that is why people die in tornadoes. I mean there is one person that told me that he went outside in the middle of the street to watch the tornado come in after he heard there was one in Worcester (I know there wasn't, but he means when there was a reported funnel cloud). Other people said how they wished a tornado would have hit their house. Other people said they weren't concerned at all because they knew there was no chance of an actual tornado coming. I mean granted, I was talking to high school students, but still.

People really just don't understand what's going on with a tornado I think is the problem. Many people said how this is the 3rd time there's been a tornado warning without a tornado. arrowheadsmiley.png I think in general the public doesn't understand that a warning means a cell capable of producing a tornado is in your path....and not that an EF4 is on your doorstep. Imagine if a Tornado passed through every area that had a warning yesterday? There'd be no Massachusetts left. lmaosmiley.gif

Anyway, it is amazing to see the ignorance some people have about yesterday. Most people that I talked to take it as a complete joke...and that is why people die in tornadoes. I mean there is one person that told me that he went outside in the middle of the street to watch the tornado come in after he heard there was one in Worcester (I know there wasn't, but he means when there was a reported funnel cloud). Other people said how they wished a tornado would have hit their house. Other people said they weren't concerned at all because they knew there was no chance of an actual tornado coming. I mean granted, I was talking to high school students, but still.

People really just don't understand what's going on with a tornado I think is the problem. Many people said how this is the 3rd time there's been a tornado warning without a tornado. arrowheadsmiley.png I think in general the public doesn't understand that a warning means a cell capable of producing a tornado is in your path....and not that an EF4 is on your doorstep. Imagine if a Tornado passed through every area that had a warning yesterday? There'd be no Massachusetts left. lmaosmiley.gif

I had some of the streaming WHDH video on during a coupl eof my classes today. The kids could not believe it was Mass. They had some pretty good questions, but most were like "Is it coming again?" and the loser comments like "I wish it hit our school" lol

I guess the cell that went through the area the kids live in last evening (FIT, Leominster) etc was pretty intense and some kids said they saw a funnel. One said she took a pic but it was not on her phone today. She will try to show me Friday.

it's mostly random public acting stupid.. not that storm chasers dont take too many risks from time to time. im not convinced it's something new though.. just more people have video cams.

I'm all for storm chasing, lord knows I want to go out into the Plains in the next few years. But, it just seems like one of these days we're gonna have a mass convergence of chasers having something horrible happen to them. Probably the wrong place at the wrong time type deal where even the more savy storm chasers might get caught. I just read a blog where this one guy got caught in the El Reno OK tornado after thinking it would pass to his north. I should add that I would be lying if I didn't enjoy the footage though...lol. The age of smart phones really are bringing us some incredible footage.

As far as idiots go..well you can't fix stupid.

You tell me, he is part of their chase team, Ryan Donovan

http://www.wmstormch....net/about.html

"chasing western mass weather since 2008" -- so this was prob their first good storm? ;)

i think there are a lot of storm chasers who are not really storm chasers... imo if someone puts themselves in that position (he could have been killed pretty easily) then they aren't that good at what they do. i guess the one argument that can be made is that media buys up these vids that are way too close, so others feel like they need to do it themselves to have a shot.

I'm all for storm chasing, lord knows I want to go out into the Plains in the next few years. But, it just seems like one of these days we're gonna have a mass convergence of chasers having something horrible happen to them. Probably the wrong place at the wrong time type deal where even the more savy storm chasers might get caught. I just read a blog where this one guy got caught in the El Reno OK tornado after thinking it would pass to his north. I should add that I would be lying if I didn't enjoy the footage though...lol. The age of smart phones really are bringing us some incredible footage.

And the there is Kev who goes chasing and has no pics, vids of perhaps the best tornado of his life , like 20 mins from him. Ian is beyond jealous at this point, it shows in his writing style, LOL, love you long time IAN

"chasing western mass weather since 2008" -- so this was prob their first good storm? ;

i think there are a lot of storm chasers who are not really storm chasers... imo if someone puts themselves in that position (he could have been killed pretty easily) then they aren't that good at what they do. i guess the one argument that can be made is that media buys up these vids that are way too close, so others feel like they need to do it themselves to have a shot.

You said it. I followed you guys when you went out west, and it seemed like you guys did it the way it should be. Even for myself...I'm a little nervous going without someone who's done it already.

You said it. I followed you guys when you went out west, and it seemed like you guys did it the way it should be. Even for myself...I'm a little nervous going without someone who's done it already.

I think you, Wiz, Ryan and Kev should team up. Lion, Tin man, Cowardly Lion, with Wiz as Dorothy.

no doubt... in some ways i guess it was nice it was "quiet" when i was out there as we did not hit too much convergence issue -- though we did in SD for what ended up being isolated storms that 95% of the chasers went home before they popped. i cant imagine what it was like on the high risk day out there, or even the past few weeks with more regular action. it does seem at some point a major traffic jam will occur as a mile wide tornado plows through it. i dunno how they address that tho--storm chasing is probably a net plus for most of the populace, but seems more and more you have random tag alongs who just log into spotter network and "go to the dots".

My in-laws are in the 16 acres section of Springfield which got hit hard. They just spoke with W. Ma. Electric utility worker who told them "it was not a matter of restoring power in some areas it was more like a complete rebuilding of infrastructure". Apparently some streets do not have a single pole standing.

i dont consider myself a chaser tho i guess i should since i've gone chasing. i was mostly an observer.. maybe ill take the title after next time. but, it was good to go with folks who know what they are doing an know how to use a good road atlas. even on the days with dozen/s of people out (mainly the big bust day on the 11th) we were able to stay on our own pretty much the whole time. everyone mostly just follows eachother around. i'd probably be tempted to do that if i was alone, so i cant necessarily fault it... but still.

Well to be honest I went outside to watch that FIT cell roll in...but I know what to look for and if I saw tight rotation/funnel I obviously would have went inside. It was fairly exciting even though it didn't amount to much.

Came home and watched some more video from the Boston stations. After seeing some more aerials of Monson I feel fairly confident that Tornado will be rated EF-3. At the latest press conference the Governor said at least 70 buildings there were total losses.

Archived