• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pics vids chase stories from Day of the Twisters SNE style

Ginx snewx

That's a pretty strong statement to make. Can you show the pictures that look EF4? I'm not saying it wasn't-- but that kind of statement definitely needs some photographic support. :)

Agree. I've seen a couple people say that...not just King Weenie. I'm no damage expert...and its not like an EF4 have never occured in SNE so its not impossible this was briefly at that intensity...but I certainly haven't seen anything yet that really supports it. At that level you should expect to see pictures of trees completely uprooted and blown away and houses leveled to the point where you can't make out anything put a pile of debris on the foundation. Worst of what I've seen so far has trees stripped bare with roofs blown off but walls still standing...houses destroyed but still somewhat recognizeable. That's more in line with EF2-3 damage.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. I've seen a couple people say that...not just King Weenie. I'm no damage expert...and its not like an EF4 have never occured in SNE so its not impossible this was briefly at that intensity...but I certainly haven't seen anything yet that really supports it. At that level you should expect to see pictures of trees completely uprooted and blown away and houses leveled to the point where you can't make out anything put a pile of debris on the foundation. Worst of what I've seen so far has trees stripped bare with roofs blown off but walls still standing...houses destroyed but still somewhat recognizeable. That's more in line with EF2-3 damage.

There are places that are just debris piles. Looking at it now. One thing to remember is that some of these places might be older homes, so you have to think about the integrity of them.

That's been my take on what I have seen (i.e., I haven't seen everything): widespread EF2 with some pockets of EF3. I saw one pic where the trees looked all stripped down, but it was blurry and it was hard to get a good look.

And, by the way, that is not minimizing it in any way. An EF3 tornado is a totally insane occurrence in itself.

That's a pretty strong statement to make. Can you show the pictures that look EF4? I'm not saying it wasn't-- but that kind of statement definitely needs some photographic support. :)

Look at the video I took in Monson of the car that was thrown in the air and wrapped around a tree. Bricks from an old building were 200 feet away across the street on a roof of a house.

And yes, my camera is a GoPRO and shoots in widescreen, i STUPIDLY forgot to put it in regular mode cause the last thing I filmed was some skiing. Sorry..

I was in Monson last night and I estimated some EF3 damage on Washington St right near the center of town where one house was moved about 3 feet off it's foundation (ready to tip over) and another across the street was completely flattened and totally unrecognizable. However, a garage (likely poorly constructed) immediately to the house's west was totally blown off its foundation by about 50 feet so the exceptional amount of debris in the air may have aided in the destruction of that house.

I did hear, however, that the damage further east on Bethany Rd was even worse but I wasn't able to walk there on foot because it was so dangerous at night.

Also I've seen pictures from Brimfield and Southbridge that look pretty similar to the destruction in that part of Monson so I'd say there was a fairly large swath of high end EF2/low end EF3 with the potential for isolated high end EF3/low end EF4.

Also aerial pics from Springfield/West Springfield indicate some EF2 damage there.

The damage I saw in Sturbridge was easily Ef2..and possibly Ef3. The damge in Monson photos/videos looks like Ef3..and likely even Ef4

Actually, odds and history say is highly unlikely. That is pure speculation and weenism on your part.

Can you show the pics of the EF4 damage? I'm not trying to be difficult, I just think it would be good for us all to look at them together and get opinions.

what would a car thrown a wrapped around a tree be? EF3? Also, there were trees pulled out of the ground and tossed across the street, giant hemlocks and stuff...

Links??

List the amount of confirmed EF4/F4's that have hit New England. I believe its 1, maybe 2.

As to damage assesments, you aren't qualified, and the mets here who are are even hesitant to say how strong it got. Saying it was likely an EF4 is just :weenie:

List the amount of confirmed EF4/F4's that have hit New England. I believe its 1, maybe 2.

As to damage assesments, you aren't qualified, and the mets here who are are even hesitant to say how strong it got. Saying it was likely an EF4 is just :weenie:

Who are you to question it? Some 16 yr old kid acting like a grumpy old man. lol

Lets keep this thread for pics and vids..Rating discussion can be in one of the other threads.

OK, sure.

Ryan just posted that he saw ef3/possible low end Ef4 damage in Monson. He was there. Maybe you and the 16 yr old should be asking him

It's very natural to ask for evidence when someone says "EF4". It's not meant as an affront or an attack.

Actually, odds and history say is highly unlikely. That is pure speculation and weenism on your part.

Looks like max EF-3 damage to me, maybe up to 180mph or so. unless there are surveys done that could conclude otherwise, it is foolish to throw around EF-4.

200mph (the higher end of EF-4 catagory) can wipe buildings pretty clean...so the collapses shown in these brutally awful pictures and videos look more like 150-200mph winds to me. Just IMO, and haven't seen what everyone on ground and air has.

These are tornado aftermath pics from Monson, MA. Downtown Monson is in a valley with a steep range of hills both to the west and the east. The tornado seems to have done it's worst damage (F3?) in the valley just to the east of downtown with some homes totally destroyed, the winds having likely been focused and concentrated as the funnel began to encounter the ridge to the east of downtown. One of the pictures looks down on some of this damage from the yard of friends of ours. To say the least vistas have opened up not witnessed in many a year-- a tragic loss of trees. The First Church has once again lost its steeple, having experienced this once before in the 1938 hurricane. I got to the scene about 45 minutes after the tornado's passage. The pictures looking down the road are to the south towards the center of town. The smoke in one of them is from a still live wire. Luckily, no reports of fatalities at least as yet, though a number of injuries, not surprisingly.

post-3067-0-67189400-1306984652.jpeg

This one's quite striking. The house in the foreground looks collapsed-- I would definitely want to get a better look at that one. The other houses: EF2 to EF3.

Most of the trees are quite slender, however one all the way on the left in the mid-ground is thicker, and it's totally snapped off. That's an interesting detail.

200mph (the higher end of EF-3 catagory) can wipe buildings pretty clean...so the collapses shown in these brutally awful pictures and videos look more like 150-200mph winds to me. Just IMO, and haven't seen what everyone on ground and air has.

EF3 is 136-165mph.

200mph (the higher end of EF-3 catagory) can wipe buildings pretty clean...so the collapses shown in these brutally awful pictures and videos look more like 150-200mph winds to me. Just IMO, and haven't seen what everyone on ground and air has.

I agree with your EF-scale opinion on the damage pics we're seeing, but Re: actual wind speed, I believe EF4 goes up to 200 mph, and over 200 mph is EF5.

Archived