joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pics vids chase stories from Day of the Twisters SNE style

Ginx snewx

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

List the amount of confirmed EF4/F4's that have hit New England. I believe its 1, maybe 2.

As to damage assesments, you aren't qualified, and the mets here who are are even hesitant to say how strong it got. Saying it was likely an EF4 is just :weenie:

Hamden, Great Barrington, Worcester, Windsor Locks

Don't use facts here. The others confirmed it was Ef2 or Ef3.

:lol:

C'mon. Why can't we just have a discussion about this? It's OK if people have different opinions Re: the damage, if they support their opinions with analysis. BIrving had the wind speeds wrong, but his assessment of the range of damage seemed about right to me.

It is healthy to analyze damage with skepticism. Otherwise, everything would always get an EF4 rating.

Ryan just posted that he saw ef3/possible low end Ef4 damage in Monson. He was there. Maybe you and the 16 yr old should be asking him

I personally did not.

I saw widespread EF2/low end EF3 damage. There were areas hardest it so it's possible there was high end EF3/low end EF4 given the amount of time this thing was producing EF2/EF3 damage. Many, many miles.

Hamden, Great Barrington, Worcester, Windsor Locks

You seem to be the only met who actually saw the worst of the worst and your language seems guarded. I only take issue with the use of the word likely. 4 EF/F4's over a large amount of years says urge caution in predictions.

Edit, I guess you personally didn't see it.

Its all speculation, and this isn't the thread for this as was pointed out.

argh.....EF-3 can still cause structure collapses, though? Is this all about the over-estimation of winds and damage...I guess that was the point I was trying to make.

yeah an EF3 can collapse all exterior walls of a well-constructed dwelling...however the expected damage from a low-end EF4 is all walls (including interior) collapsed. A wiped clean foundation is 200mph...EF4/EF5 boundary.

:lol:

C'mon. Why can't we just have a discussion about this? It's OK if people have different opinions Re: the damage, if they support their opinions with analysis. BIrving had the wind speeds wrong, but his assessment of the range of damage seemed about right to me.

It is healthy to analyze damage with skepticism. Otherwise, everything would always get an EF4 rating.

I think all of us can say there was EF3 damage. Whether there were isolated pockets of EF4 damage is unclear. The worst areas I couldn't get to so I don't know. There were some houses completely destroyed but it was dark and difficult to ascertain how well constructed.

As I mentioned one house I saw on Washington ST in Monson was flattened and moved off its foundation. All walls collapsed including interior walls. That would be EF4 damage however I think the reason it was destroyed was more because of the poorly constructed garage next door that completely came off its foundation and was moved nearly 50 feet into the house.

Had that garage not been there I don't think that house would have been destroyed so completely.

You seem to be the only met who actually saw the worst of the worst and your language seems guarded. I only take issue with the use of the word likely. 4 EF/F4's over a large amount of years says urge caution in predictions.

Edit, I guess you personally didn't see it.

Its all speculation, and this isn't the thread for this as was pointed out.

I didn't say likely I said "it is possible there were isolated areas of high end EF3/low end EF4"

I think that's a reasonable statement

I think all of us can say there was EF3 damage. Whether there were isolated pockets of EF4 damage is unclear. The worst areas I couldn't get to so I don't know. There were some houses completely destroyed but it was dark and difficult to ascertain how well constructed.

As I mentioned one house I saw on Washington ST in Monson was flattened and moved off its foundation. All walls collapsed including interior walls. That would be EF4 damage however I think the reason it was destroyed was more because of the poorly constructed garage next door that completely came off its foundation and was moved nearly 50 feet into the house.

Had that garage not been there I don't think that house would have been destroyed so completely.

Could you get an estimate how wide the path was when it went thru Monson?

Thanks for this detailed assessment. The truth is in these little details. You saw with your own eyes, so you would know best, assuming you are fluent in the EF scale (which I believe you are). What you describe seems consistent with what I've seen in photos. I would be astonished if it were rated less than EF3.

even in Joplin...you can see widespread EF3 to EF4 damage...with only small pockets of EF5

we'll have to see if there's some small pockets of EF4 somewhere in there.

Pete says construction standards in MA are some of the best in the country..however...we don't know how old and/or how well constructed the specific houses we are looking at.

even in Joplin...you can see widespread EF3 to EF4 damage...with only small pockets of EF5

Pete says construction standards in MA are some of the best in the country..however...we don't know how old and/or how well constructed the specific houses we are looking at.

In general the wood framed construction around here is very sturdy. Sometimes (especially in the SE) it can be tough to judge because building construction can be very shoddy.

I was in Monson for a couple hours yesterday and a lot of the houses which were destroyed definitely looked old. There were some on a hillside which looked to be 1800s, and a lot of early 1900s. Also, a lot of 2 family looking homes, tall and wide.

has anyone seen as significant damage to structures other than houses? That could give us a better idea of the wind speeds.

Look at this video I took around 3:58 to 4:10 or so... the building was completely stripped bare of everything inside (but still standing) and that car was tossed and wrapped around the tree, completely pancaked.

link again..

Look at this video I took around 3:58 to 4:10 or so... the building was completely stripped bare of everything inside (but still standing) and that car was tossed and wrapped around the tree, completely pancaked.

link again..

Cool video. It definitely doesn't suggest EF4 to me, but it's good to see some firsthand video like this.

I liked your footage of the Springfield tornado. I realized watching the footage how challenging it must be to chase in a fairly urban area like that-- with buildings in the way, traffic, and so on.

Just for history's sake, though I'd remind everyone you can get today's front pages (PDF) from http://www.newseum.o...sh/default.asp . Hartford Courant is particularly good.

BTW, in my layman's opinion all the damage shots I've seen look like solid EF3, but really depends on some of those areas in Monson that haven't been well documented.

Just for history's sake, though I'd remind everyone you can get today's front pages (PDF) from http://www.newseum.o...sh/default.asp. Hartford Courant is particularly good.

BTW, in my layman's opinion all the damage shots I've seen look like solid EF3, but really depends on some of those areas in Monson that haven't been well documented.

Move the period (.) our of the URL and the link will work.

As a professional in the industry, homes built in this part of the country tend to be built better. Obviously every house is different but for the most part you are not dealing with slab on grade construction and homes are built to withstand heavy snows, hurricanes, and high winds.

Yep, I was going to say something like this too.. In my few experiences viewing tornado damage first hand, the common thing was how inconsistent the damage was even within a small area.

Archived