Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 24 severe obs/discussion

Riptide

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised the AA county storm went severe. Here in Glen Burnie, we did have heavy rain for about 4 to 5 minutes and some lightning, but no real wind to speak of and no hail. Caught one good photo of a lightning strike, but was not that impressed.

Greg

Not terribly impressed.. we'll see. We currently have some cin in the mixed layer, on days like this we need a good trigger. Though some stuff did roll through y-day. I think in this case we might need to get into evening to try to erode some capping.

Oops... and not bad.

2011 the new 2008?

I wish I remembered that storm. I don't remember it at all.

There were several very nice event days - best was June 4, 2008.

Check the original few posts in the thread for some info about it - The one thing that I cannot remember no matter how much I try is where I was that day. I walked to HS and I can't figure out how I got from school to home that day without getting rained on.

From the first storm to hit the region this afternoon

04/24/2011 0355 PM

1 miles ESE of Leesburg, Loudoun County.

Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by NWS office.

Shingle roof damage to cwsu center. Esitimated 50kt

wind gust.

50.1 in Bethesda

I was driving south on the Beltway, coming into Tyson's Corner, at around 8:15 last night. I wish to God that I'd had a camera on me, because the view of the lit-up buildings in Tyson's in the foreground of what looked like the end of the world to the south was pretty amazing. Ended up getting home just after that storm had pulled through (I believe Burke just grazed the north edge), but got more heavy rain and thunder/lightning only an hour or so later. I actually had standing water in one section of my lawn...and my lawn drains really well.

I also saw some really cool circular clouds as we came out of the Harbor Tunnel and were driving south on 95 at around 7:15 or so. There what looked like three or four concentric "rings" of clouds, and one cloud that stuck out diagionally from everything else - looked like it was pointing from the southeast to northwest. I'm not too sure on that, but it was cool. There were also two nice cloud-ground strikes on the far eastern edge of those "ring clouds." Probably hit a mile or two away on the east side of 95.

I'd be curious to know what kind of clouds those were...

Archived