e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
May

LithiaWx

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lightning was intense last night here in Lincolnton, but that storm did not come close to what we had back at the beginning of April (4/4 or 4/5 - can't remember which day it was). Saw some great lightning though streak across the sky. Better than fireworks!!

Awesome going to look at the vid when I can.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

they are jumpy as hell and on an iphone driving 70 LOL there are two on page 9, one is a little more steady driving 40 on a surface street

but I think they capture the moment pretty decent, I wasnt even looking at the phone as I was driving solo. just holding it in the direction of the storm.

Best storm in a while here given it's long duration of very frequent thunder/lightning and heavy blowing rain for what seemed like forever. Reminded me of Hugo a bit. Might've been a brief spurt of hail for a few seconds. Luckily no real damage IMBY.

That is indeed extremely odd to see that over Macon...I have a friend that lives in Americus GA which is a good distance southwest of that blob on the radar. I may give him a call later, he could give me a little insight.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in it besides me and you but I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. It was so strong that they switched it over from clear air mode to precip mode. It's not as impressive as it was but it's still there and still being picked up by FFC's radar too.

At any rate, that is some incredible hail pictures, looks like something out of the plains. The largest hailstone ever recorded was 7 inches in diameter and by the looks of that picture it could be about 5 inches from one tip to the other. I don't know if they measure it like that or not but that is truly a stunningly large hailstone.

I've always wondered what it would be like to see something like that. The largest hail I can recall ever falling here was about quarter size...which is quite pathetic. Not that I'm wishing for softball size hail to come along and damage anything but I've always found it strange that the area around me never sees any truly large hail.

Best storm in a while here given it's long duration of very frequent thunder/lightning and heavy blowing rain for what seemed like forever. Reminded me of Hugo a bit. Might've been a brief spurt of hail for a few seconds. Luckily no real damage IMBY.

I've seen several reports on here of the wind keeping up. Mine didn't, it was just during the initial 1 to 2 minutes after the rain started that the winds were at peak, then they died off rapidly and it rained hard for a couple of hours. The lightning did go on and on however. One of the best shows here in years on the lightning, and it was awesome once it got to my south and southeast with all the streaks across the sky.

Here's the first video showing the lightning and some nice sounds of thunder. I've segmented it for the best moments so it's not as long. Part 2 will be coming up, and that shows the heavy rain, 80mph wind gust, and the lightning becoming progressively worse. Scary moments in that video. Meanwhile, I'm about to head up to town and see what kind of damage has occurred. Pictures will come soon. If someone has made a thread for such while I'm gone, I will post over on it instead.

Hey Guys, Late report here as I have been having internet conn. issues. We missed the main squall line up here in Weaverville. We did have a pretty decent storm last night around midnight. Wind gusts to about 30-35, constant lightning, & very heavy rain for about an hour. This morning about 6 we got round 2 which was a less intense version of last night. We ended up with 1.41" from round 1 & .87" from round 2. My dewpoint this afternoon is unusually high for our area. About 45 min. ago it was 69.4 it has dropped to 68.5 now. Lotta rain in the past 15 hrs but it is still pretty high for my neck of the woods. Sounds like some wild rides in the Carolinas last night. RIP to the girls who passed during the storm. Heard on WLOS that they were twins.

All right, I'm going to attempt to embed a youtube video of the lightning storm outside my house last night. The best part (having nothing to do with weather) is at the very end when my wife is trying to find me in the middle of this storm and doesn't recognize me when she opens the front door at midnight! :rolleyes:

Sorry, no hail with this storm.

I am wondering what our Myrtle Beach people here experienced yesterday.

It was quite a day with the splitting supercells. The first cell that formed in Columbus Co drifted SE, then S, the SW...presumably following the seabreeze. It did have quite a hook and we saw some decent lowerings but nothing too serious. That is the same storm that produced the golfball to tennis ball sized hail in and around North Myrtle Beach.

In my opinion, the best storms were the splitting supercells over Florence, Marion and northern Horry Co. We had numerous reports of baseball to softball sized hail in all of those counties with the greatest concentration around the Conway area. Lots of broken windshields and dented cars around today.

Round 2 was impressive with the MCC but for the most part looked to remain just below severe criteria. Although there were a few reports of golfballs and wind damage.

It was quite a day with the splitting supercells. The first cell that formed in Columbus Co drifted SE, then S, the SW...presumably following the seabreeze. It did have quite a hook and we saw some decent lowerings but nothing too serious. That is the same storm that produced the golfball to tennis ball sized hail in and around North Myrtle Beach.

In my opinion, the best storms were the splitting supercells over Florence, Marion and northern Horry Co. We had numerous reports of baseball to softball sized hail in all of those counties with the greatest concentration around the Conway area. Lots of broken windshields and dented cars around today.

Round 2 was impressive with the MCC but for the most part looked to remain just below severe criteria. Although there were a few reports of golfballs and wind damage.

Thats insanely huge not to mention pretty rare for the eastern carolinas.

this video does a good job showing how intense it got, the guy says a few choice words lol

wow - n ga really missed out on all the fun last night it would appear :(

I can see the top of the thunderstorm in Oconee County, SC here from N. Atlanta. Looks like a very impressive storm going up there right now.

that storm in nw sc must be a doozy - i can hear the thunder from it and its the only storm anywhere nearby

just boring beyond belief here these days wx wise lol

There doesn't seem to be much interest in it besides me and you but I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. It was so strong that they switched it over from clear air mode to precip mode. It's not as impressive as it was but it's still there and still being picked up by FFC's radar too.

At any rate, that is some incredible hail pictures, looks like something out of the plains. The largest hailstone ever recorded was 7 inches in diameter and by the looks of that picture it could be about 5 inches from one tip to the other. I don't know if they measure it like that or not but that is truly a stunningly large hailstone.

I've always wondered what it would be like to see something like that. The largest hail I can recall ever falling here was about quarter size...which is quite pathetic. Not that I'm wishing for softball size hail to come along and damage anything but I've always found it strange that the area around me never sees any truly large hail.

i have not seen nor heard ONE cicada all summer (i usually hear them a lot). its been odd to see all the reports on how many there are in a lot of places, but nothing here at all

we need to get the pattern to shift and put n ga back in the action and soon, or my withdrawal symptoms will be much worse. its been warm and pretty muggy the last few days. summer seems to have arrived

Pretty impressive that you can see a storm 100 miles away.

One late afternoon several years ago I was outside and had a clear view to the east. I saw a large thunderstorm top with lots of lightning shooting out etc. It was the only cloud in the entire sky and put on a great show after watching for 10 or so minutes I went back to the house to see where it was and was shocked to see that the storm was at least 20 miles east of Cape Hatteras which is exactly 100 miles east of me. So we were watching a storm that was over 120 miles away.

Oftan at night here we can see storms off the south coast or out east around Hatteras and they can really put on a show, the one in this video was prolly 50-60 miles east of us.

Absolutely nice spring weather in North Carolina today with this Omega Block. The morning started off gloomy and damp, but dewpoints crashed in the afternoon, the sun came out, a breeze built up, and it became absolutely gorgeous. Greensboro got up to a delightful 76 today.Temps are expected to remain in low to mid 70s for the next week. I love this Omega Block!

Archived