e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
May

LithiaWx

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That line was intense as it moved through the Tri-Cities as well. I was still at work when it roared through Erwin, and saw gusts at least to 55 MPH. Between round one and round two, there was near-constant lightning for two hours and quite a bit of heavy rain. Saw a bit of pea-size hail at one point as well. Crazy night...

sigh and the rich keep getting richer lol.........

hope you got some video, you know you called this like a week out pretty good job IMO....

thanks. Give credit to the GFS and its pattern, showed up nicely. This is one of the best storms in years here, almost as good as the early April Derecho, the winds passed it , but only for one minute. The maple tree bent over and touched the ground like the St. Louis Arch, I think I have it on video, it was going., But its dark...as always.

No Idea when I'll be back. Awful winds down here right now and looking to lose power anytime.

line looks even worse and strengthening. One heck of a ligntning storm here, the winds only lasted 60 seconds..pushing one inch of rain. when the winds were around 80 I was terrified. Trees were bending like mad. I know theres damage from this, will show up tomorrow. Wish I could have been on during the day but was working some odd jobs that had to be done. Still I saved some weird radar images I never seen, like the inverted "V" coming out of the mountains. I knew something was up with that, and Dan's high wind reports.

Latest info from Duke Power...

Total Outages: 19086

ALEXANDER, NC 78

BURKE, NC 695

CABARRUS, NC 9

CALDWELL, NC 2518

CATAWBA, NC 36

CLEVELAND, NC 5986

FORSYTH, NC 34

GASTON, NC 1

HENDERSON, NC 4

IREDELL, NC 3

LINCOLN, NC 206

MCDOWELL, NC 1755

MECKLENBURG, NC 0

POLK, NC 149

RUTHERFORD, NC 5396

UNION, NC 2

WILKES, NC 2

CHEROKEE, SC 720

GREENVILLE, SC 92

LANCASTER, SC 1

SPARTANBURG, SC 1389

thanks. Give credit to the GFS and its pattern, showed up nicely. This is one of the best storms in years here, almost as good as the early April Derecho, the winds passed it , but only for one minute. The maple tree bent over and touched the ground like the St. Louis Arch, I think I have it on video, it was going., But its dark...as always.

line looks even worse and strengthening. One heck of a ligntning storm here, the winds only lasted 60 seconds..pushing one inch of rain. when the winds were around 80 I was terrified. Trees were bending like mad. I know theres damage from this, will show up tomorrow. Wish I could have been on during the day but was working some odd jobs that had to be done. Still I saved some weird radar images I never seen, like the inverted "V" coming out of the mountains. I knew something was up with that, and Dan's high wind reports.

I think the worst of it went JUST to my northeast. Even so winds were at least 55-60 here for about 1-2 mins and then we got about a third of of inch of rain. Was thinking I'd see the 80mph winds but thankfully did not.

Goodness! What a heck of a severe storm this was. I haven't been this awe-stricken by a storm in a VERY long time. Watching out west, you could see the lightning becoming progressively worse as the storm neared my area. Some of the most unusual CG lightning strikes were occurring, one of which involved two strikes no more than a few feet beside each other and similar from top to bottom like a matching pair. The clouds were also a deep shade of green as though you'd thought a tornado was nearby. About 10-15 minutes later, the rain poured and here came the initial wind gust. I clocked it to be somewhere between 75-82 mph when it hit, and the trees, power lines, and yard objects all suffered from a major smack. I can already see several small to medium-sized branches on the ground with lots of trash scattered. The looks of the outside during this point were like watching a weak Category 1 hurricane blow in with the most intense lightning ever; lots of CG/CC lightning and two of which nearly struck my home! The streetlights went off 5 times when the worse of the storm was right on top, which made the whole neighborhood go pitch black, only illuminated by the flashes of lightning. There was not, I don't think, any hail that fell (unless it was during the period that it was dark and was just small). Just when I thought the winds would die down, it re-intensified once more and blew between 60-65mph for a short while. Man, the power behind the line of storms that moved through is absolutely tremendous...

Even now, I'm still under consistent lightning with loud, booming-style thunder that would make you think you were in World War II. 2 ambulances and a few firetrucks have already passed by my house for the past hour now after that one bolt struck down the road, which made me go temporarily deaf from the loud crack. You could feel the energy coming off of the bolt when it struck (I was on the porch then) and was WAY too close for comfort. I can already tell that I've got A LOT of work to do tomorrow. The pine tree beside my house thankfully stood its ground and never fell over but I'm willing to bet that its been pushed some more after those wind gusts. Again, such an awesome storm. If it's possible, I'm going to upload a few videos on here showing the lightning and probably some pictures of the storm damage. I'm up to 1.61" so far for tonight's total.

Here at work tonight we can smell the smoke from the fires burning out in Dare Co to bad all that rain isnt up this way, it will be the weekend before this area sees any and hopefully it can prevent a repeat of the Evans Road fire. The fire has already burned more than 20k acres.

Agreed....that was an intense line of storms. I knew we were in trouble when that MCV was so evident in KY yesterday evening. Finished with 2.56" at my house!

Very intense lightning and winds....and like you mentioned, the wind was not just one big gust and that's it....it went on and on.

Goodness! What a heck of a severe storm this was. I haven't been this awe-stricken by a storm in a VERY long time. Watching out west, you could see the lightning becoming progressively worse as the storm neared my area. Some of the most unusual CG lightning strikes were occurring, one of which involved two strikes no more than a few feet beside each other and similar from top to bottom like a matching pair. The clouds were also a deep shade of green as though you'd thought a tornado was nearby. About 10-15 minutes later, the rain poured and here came the initial wind gust. I clocked it to be somewhere between 75-82 mph when it hit, and the trees, power lines, and yard objects all suffered from a major smack. I can already see several small to medium-sized branches on the ground with lots of trash scattered. The looks of the outside during this point were like watching a weak Category 1 hurricane blow in with the most intense lightning ever; lots of CG/CC lightning and two of which nearly struck my home! The streetlights went off 5 times when the worse of the storm was right on top, which made the whole neighborhood go pitch black, only illuminated by the flashes of lightning. There was not, I don't think, any hail that fell (unless it was during the period that it was dark and was just small). Just when I thought the winds would die down, it re-intensified once more and blew between 60-65mph for a short while. Man, the power behind the line of storms that moved through is absolutely tremendous...

Even now, I'm still under consistent lightning with loud, booming-style thunder that would make you think you were in World War II. 2 ambulances and a few firetrucks have already passed by my house for the past hour now after that one bolt struck down the road, which made me go temporarily deaf from the loud crack. You could feel the energy coming off of the bolt when it struck (I was on the porch then) and was WAY too close for comfort. I can already tell that I've got A LOT of work to do tomorrow. The pine tree beside my house thankfully stood its ground and never fell over but I'm willing to bet that its been pushed some more after those wind gusts. Again, such an awesome storm. If it's possible, I'm going to upload a few videos on here showing the lightning and probably some pictures of the storm damage. I'm up to 1.61" so far for tonight's total.

Last Night was one of the stronger storms that I have seen in a while. Here in eastern Burke County, I had a wind gust of 24 mph on my gauge; however, it was probably closer to 30-35 mph based on what I saw. Definitely nothing like what Foothills saw last night, 80 mph is absolutely amazing at 12:00 a.m. at night in North Carolina. I also picked up just over a half of an inch of rain. Today, it looks like we could have some more storms develop; however, more subtle and more scattered thunderstorms are expected to develop today. I like this wet pattern that is setting up over the next five to seven days.

Just got out around the house and looking back into the forest on the west and north sides of my property I see one huge pine thats cracked at the bottom and leaning on another one, and the maple behind the house which has 2 forks, the north fork is snapped and dangling down to the ground, and a couple small loblolly pines are uprooted. So thats a lot of damage here, and I'll be taking a ride to see how the rest of the area did. That was definitely the highest wind gusts I've ever personally experienced (missed Hugo). The thing about getting storms from the NW and due north, they're usually the worst type. An east-to-west moving bow line almost never does quite as bad as the ones that gain momentum coming off the northern mountains like this one did. It was the perfect track. Funny how the major lines seem to favor midnight here, give or take a few minutes. Just looking at the grass in the backyard, its all blown and matted down, laying down from the north pointing south. Never seen grass "lay down" like that from any storm. Weird.

You are correct Joe. They were students here in the county. We are on a two hours delay here in the county...

I was able to drive by the single wide this morning. The tree completely split it in half. Very sad.. I work for the system as a social worker, so we shall see what happens today once school starts.

____

I was awoke last night around 12:45 to heavy wind, heavy rain, small hail and constant CG Lighting. I do not have a way to check the wind speed, but I seemed like it was faster then the 45mph gust KFQD recorded at 12:55... Power was out for three hours and we had lighting for about an hour after the cell passed Bostic.

Trees down, power lines down all over the place!!

Posted a few pics on my twitter feed @strongwxnc

The midnight storm was bad here. Wind gusts to 67 and continuous lightning. Fired back up about 5 this morning. Almost 2 inches in the bucket.

On a sad note, twin sisters were killed in Rutherford Co. when a tree fell on their house :(

First view from IMBY shows a ton of small limbs and loose objects scattered around the neighborhood. Quite a few trees fell along HWY 70 overnight. Power is still out for some in the county. That 1 minute span of 70+ mph winds was probably the most impressive I have seen come through the escarpment, ever!

Only 0.20 fell in the bucket overnight...storms looks likely for later today, but probably nowhere near as organized as last night's complex.

I only had a T last night? how did THAT happen?

:lol: The same way I only picked up .05 :whistle: This next batch will miss me too.....Just like the storms in April, everything was to my north :(:lol:

Many more chances into next week :wub: It's nice to see t-storms in the forecast every day for a change :)

I was able to drive by the single wide this morning. The tree completely split it in half. Very sad.. I work for the system as a social worker, so we shall see what happens today once school starts.

____

I was awoke last night around 12:45 to heavy wind, heavy rain, small hail and constant CG Lighting. I do not have a way to check the wind speed, but I seemed like it was faster then the 45mph gust KFQD recorded at 12:55... Power was out for three hours and we had lighting for about an hour after the cell passed Bostic.

Trees down, power lines down all over the place!!

Posted a few pics on my twitter feed @strongwxnc

My sister just called from Ellenboro and said its a disaster there. Judging from the bowing line last night when the inverted V began to bow the other way in southern Rutherford County, I'd bet Cliffside and Boiling Springs got crushed. The winds at RFD probably weren't as bad since they were located just on the northwest side of the worst part of the line.

. That 1 minute span of 70+ mph winds was probably the most impressive I have seen come through the escarpment, ever!

same here. There may have been a 90's storm that equalled the winds here, but I don't exactly remember. When that line rolled down the mountains it was like a locomotive..about the most impressive squall we can get.

Not sure where to put this but figured it be best in this one as to get more views and opinions. Was looking at ffc's and jgx radar this morning to see if I could pick up on any outflow boundaries from the sc convection and noticed this. As you can see there is a huge amount of returns showing up on jgx radar. At first glance, it's so strong it looked like rain but there are no clouds over central ga associated with this. It's also showing up on ffcs but much weaker. While gsp is not showing it at all. At first one could think it could be a strong inversion causing extreme amounts of ground clutter but soundings show no such inversion and this is showing up on no other radar.

So I'm left Wondering if this is the cicadas but if it is them, I haven't noticed this before today unless somehow I mysteriously missed it. Plus at the height the radar beam from ffc, it's a few thousand feet up (likewise at the time the returns extended all the way to athens, well over a mile high). Not sure if they fly that high. But If it is them, there has to be billions of them to create such a large and strong return. So I'm sort of stumped on what it could be but my best guess still is it has to be either them or some sort of inversion caused by the outflow boundary of the sc convection but I'm not sure.

Here are ffc's, jgx and the southeastern radar (which gives you a good idea of the scope and of the size of this return). Any other ideas?

post-12-0-09759400-1305120566.gif

post-12-0-12189000-1305120615.gif

post-12-0-95680200-1305120602.gif

I need to get a anemometer for my location. The Wind always seems to be stronger on my hill.

same here. There may have been a 90's storm that equalled the winds here, but I don't exactly remember. When that line rolled down the mountains it was like a locomotive..about the most impressive squall we can get.

Not sure where to put this but figured it be best in this one as to get more views and opinions. Was looking at ffc's and jgx radar this morning to see if I could pick up on any outflow boundaries from the sc convection and noticed this. As you can see there is a huge amount of returns showing up on jgx radar. At first glance, it's so strong it looked like rain but there are no clouds over central ga associated with this. It's also showing up on ffcs but much weaker. While gsp is not showing it at all. At first one could think it could be a strong inversion causing extreme amounts of ground clutter but soundings show no such inversion and this is showing up on no other radar.

So I'm left Wondering if this is the cicadas but if it is them, I haven't noticed this before today unless somehow I mysteriously missed it. Plus at the height the radar beam from ffc, it's a few thousand feet up (likewise at the time the returns extended all the way to athens, well over a mile high). Not sure if they fly that high. But If it is them, there has to be billions of them to create such a large and strong return. So I'm sort of stumped on what it could be but my best guess still is it has to be either them or some sort of inversion caused by the outflow boundary of the sc convection but I'm not sure.

Here are ffc's, jgx and the southeastern radar (which gives you a good idea of the scope and of the size of this return). Any other ideas?

That is indeed extremely odd to see that over Macon...I have a friend that lives in Americus GA which is a good distance southwest of that blob on the radar. I may give him a call later, he could give me a little insight.

If it's possible, I'm going to upload a few videos on here showing the lightning and probably some pictures of the storm damage.

:thumbsup: Please do! I'm going to be moving back to NC (!!!) and the Charlotte area in July and want to show my folks what I've been missing since moving to CA (they know what a weather enthusiast I am).

Btw, look forward to rejoining you all on a more active basis. I'll be up around the Lake Norman area, and in Uptown during the day with a birds-eye view - both should be interesting vantage points for storms.

I ended up with 0.71 inches of rainfall overnight. Anemometer shows a max reading of 15 mph overnight. I know that's low because it's partially sheltered by the house and tall trees nearby, but I also know we didn't have anything close to 80 mph winds last night. Very gusty at times, but I would not figure anything above 35 mph here. The bowing line of convection that was moving almost due south passed to my west while we stayed inside that crazy V on the radar. Good times!

Archived